From the real jungle to the asphalt jungle

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to get my youngest son to get his license. He's 20 and stubborn.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. When he was 15, he was into driving, but not quite old enough.

I think what totally scared him off was the video they showed the kids in Driver's Ed. I guess they showed a really bad car wreck (this could happen to you, kind of thing) and that turned him off of driving.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the longer they wait the better, for the most part.
I read an interesting statistic a while back from an insurance group that claimed older teens, and even young adults in their twenties, have almost the exact same chance of getting into a wreck when they first start driving as younger teens.

The point was that it's experience behind the wheel that matters most in avoiding problems on the road, not age.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm ... that's interesting. Makes sense, though.
I didn't believe it at first, as it seemed obvious to me that a twenty-year-old who first starts driving would have greater maturity than a sixteen-year-old, thus reducing the chances of an accident.

But I was wrong. The study, compiled over years from the insurance industry, proved that inexperience behind the wheel is the number one cause of collisions, regardless of the drivers' age.

Whatever the numbers, every parent dies a little when their children start driving. The worry alone causes sleep deprivation and more gray hairs than we care to count.

milly

seeing sparks
Registered
Reaction score
My 17-year-old daughter, adopted from Cambodia ten years ago, just got her permanent driver's license today.

And I've got ten gray hairs for every hour I spent on driving lessons.

congratulations...on the driver's license...not on the gray hairs

:D