Who is responsible for your success?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Well, now, that's going to depend on what you mean by success, isn't it?

lachel

Registered
Reaction score
Did I just miss the article? It didn't really seem like much of one. Just a guy trying to sell stuff.

MJNL

A Little Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostetter.wordpress.com
I like to think I've always had a strong sense of personal responsibility. So yeah, I think if I succeed I can pat myself on the back, and if I fail I've got no one to blame but me.

The Grump

Hates Marketing. Loves Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mktheodoratus.com
Piece seemed rather self-evident to me. Where are the "craft" techniques to accomplish the promotional deeds. Sounds about as effective as Congress cutting the budget.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
A novel is successful because one reader love sit enough to tell everyone he knows all about it, and then they all love it so much they have to tell everyone they know all about it.

The best marketing can do is get your book in the hands of a tiny few readers. If you publish commercially, this happens automatically. After this, it's up to how well you told a story, and how well you developed characters.

Word of mouth sells novels, not this kind of marketing.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Looks more like a 'you can make millions self-publishing too!' kind of article.

If my book where to be come successful, I would make sure that I give credit where it was due to my literary agent and the publisher. Yes I'll pat myself on the back, but it takes more than the author to make a book successful.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
My fabulous critters for a) pointing out where I go wrong and b) convincing me that I am doing something right when I am sure I am doing it wrong... without any of them I would not have anything...

Reaction score
The best marketing technique to sell your next book is to make this one fantastic.

wizard tim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chimpwithpencil.com
One factor the article doesn't address is luck. We like to think that our hard work will have the desired effect of happy readers and decent sales. So we write the best stories we can and then try to make people aware of them.

But there remains that weird, chaotic, random factor of luck. Sometimes books hit or miss with readers for unfathomable reasons. Luck makes me (and I suspect a lot of us) uncomfortable, because it is something we cannot control.

Still, I hope the old football coach adage holds true: "Luck is where opportunity meets preparation."

Lisa von Lempke

Languishing Emigrée
Registered
Reaction score
New York, Paris, Chantilly, Amsterdam, London
Website
lisaslovelifeinletters.blogspot.com
Well...I haven't been entirely successful with most of the usual ambitions people have, in life...But then, I never had those ambitions.

School didn't go too well, but kindergarten did - I graduated from it without being held back once, and without any major conflicts with the establishment.

Who was responsible for my success? I feel I was mostly a self-made pre-schooler. I was something of a go-getter, at the time. It was only around age 7 or 8 that I realized there is more to life than 'succeeding'.

I've been taking it easier, ever since. Making time for those around me. Walking the dog. Pondering mortality. As a pleasant by-product, the stress-related heart condition I had as a preschooler disappeared almost entirely.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
All those threats I make are responsible for my success. Every so often I remind my editor that I know where his kids go to school

Status
Not open for further replies.