PDA

View Full Version : From Scrivener to Kindle?

Wordwrestler
06-28-2011, 10:14 AM
I've decided to self-publish some of my books, all of which were written in Scrivener. For the first book, I'm going to do Kindle only (for now).

I seem to recall someone on these boards mentioning a fast way to format from Scrivener to ebook. Of course I could just convert to Word and go from there, as Scrivener is made to do that, but if I can go straight from Scrivener, that would be great. Any ideas?

AmsterdamAssassin
06-28-2011, 11:22 AM
I have a pdf on my Tao of Violence website for converting .doc to html, which is basically about stripping the formatting.

Perhaps that'll work with scrivener as well?

Anne Lyle
06-28-2011, 11:29 AM
I seem to recall someone on these boards mentioning a fast way to format from Scrivener to ebook. Of course I could just convert to Word and go from there, as Scrivener is made to do that, but if I can go straight from Scrivener, that would be great. Any ideas?

Scrivener for Mac or Windows?

Scrivener 2.0 for Mac can export direct to .mobi, you just have to install the KindleGen utility from Amazon. Select the mobi format in 'Compile...' and instructions will be displayed. The results are very impressive - I'm using it to create digital ARCs (advance reader copies) of my non-self-published novel to send out to reviewers, and they look as good as most pro-published ebooks.

Scrivener for Windows - dunno. I'm a Mac user, so I don't know how many 2.0 features have made it into the Windows version.

Wordwrestler
06-28-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks, guys!

I'm all Mac, Anne. I didn't know they had Scrivener for Windows. That's just the answer I was looking for. I'd heard it was better/ easier to go straight from Scrivener, but didn't know how. Thank you!

Anne Lyle
06-28-2011, 07:48 PM
You're welcome! Any other questions, just ask - I've been using Scrivener for almost 5 years :)

Wordwrestler
07-20-2011, 04:37 AM
I just finished uploading my book from Scrivener to Kindle, and I can't believe how easy it was! Wow. Now I'm just waiting for Amazon approval.

Wordwrestler
07-20-2011, 04:52 AM
I just realized this thread is in the Sp Covers section. Could a mod please move it?

Medievalist
07-20-2011, 05:04 AM
See this excellent post from AlexPiper about using KindleGen and Scrivener (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5673611&postcount=3).

KindleGen is here (http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000234621). Make sure you agree to the TOS/EULA license, and that you download the right version for your OS.

CaoPaux
07-20-2011, 05:15 AM
I just realized this thread is in the Sp Covers section. Could a mod please move it?This forum is for tech help aspects of SP covers and formatting.

Wordwrestler
07-20-2011, 05:27 AM
Thanks, Cao.

Medievalist, I just upgraded to the latest version of Scrivener, and it tells you exactly what to do. There's a button that you press to download KindleGen while you're right there in Scrivener compiling your ms.