From Scrivener to Kindle?

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I've decided to self-publish some of my books, all of which were written in Scrivener. For the first book, I'm going to do Kindle only (for now).

I seem to recall someone on these boards mentioning a fast way to format from Scrivener to ebook. Of course I could just convert to Word and go from there, as Scrivener is made to do that, but if I can go straight from Scrivener, that would be great. Any ideas?

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
I seem to recall someone on these boards mentioning a fast way to format from Scrivener to ebook. Of course I could just convert to Word and go from there, as Scrivener is made to do that, but if I can go straight from Scrivener, that would be great. Any ideas?

Scrivener for Mac or Windows?

Scrivener 2.0 for Mac can export direct to .mobi, you just have to install the KindleGen utility from Amazon. Select the mobi format in 'Compile...' and instructions will be displayed. The results are very impressive - I'm using it to create digital ARCs (advance reader copies) of my non-self-published novel to send out to reviewers, and they look as good as most pro-published ebooks.

Scrivener for Windows - dunno. I'm a Mac user, so I don't know how many 2.0 features have made it into the Windows version.

Last edited:

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Thanks, guys!

I'm all Mac, Anne. I didn't know they had Scrivener for Windows. That's just the answer I was looking for. I'd heard it was better/ easier to go straight from Scrivener, but didn't know how. Thank you!

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I just finished uploading my book from Scrivener to Kindle, and I can't believe how easy it was! Wow. Now I'm just waiting for Amazon approval.

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I just realized this thread is in the Sp Covers section. Could a mod please move it?

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Thanks, Cao.

Medievalist, I just upgraded to the latest version of Scrivener, and it tells you exactly what to do. There's a button that you press to download KindleGen while you're right there in Scrivener compiling your ms.