Found a great solution..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamey

Hello everyone,
I found a solution for self-publishing which in my opinion puts Lulu to shame (something that it is not difficult anyway if you ask me because they are way too expensive to produce a commercially successful book)

It is an ebook called Easy Book Binding (http://www.easybookbinding.com) which teaches how to create paperbacks at home. I purchased an tried it and it works! I was so impressed that I thought it was something to share with you guys/gals (I registered recently but I read this forum pretty often). Well written, easy explanations.

The total cost of my first book was about 60 cents (184 pages, color cover, perfect binding). Now it's just a matter of setting up and online store (and maybe applying for an ISBN number) and I can start selling my book for a profit.. a real one
smile.gif

Sure, it requires a bit of effort (print the pages and bind them) but considering the costs and the final result it is totally worth it, imho.

Highly, highly recommended.

(Note - just to make things clear, that's not an affiliate link... I'm just sharing the info)

Bye
smile.gif

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Well, I glanced at the site. Lots of hype for not much information, IMO. Sure, you can perform the same function of a perfect binding machine at home, but I think your ".60 per copy" is failing to take into account a few sundry details, like . . . oh, I don't know -- perhaps toner, ink cartridges, time to print, cut, square edge and bind. Add about $3 (or more, depending on how much you consider your time worth) to each copy for those, and you'll be closer to reality. Whether the "amazing" method is using padding compound or large capacity stapler (both available from the office supply store), the fact is that, as they say on television, results may vary.

Yes, the average person can probably spend the money for this guide, buy the materials and produce a few copies of a book. Super. But "commercially successful?" Pfft! That would take tens of thousands of such copies. Most authors will give up after about twenty. After all, if you're binding, you're NOT writing.

Still, have fun. Write back in a year and let us know how long you lasted.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Yep, I hope to sell a few more copies than I can make by hand--been there and done that with a zine and the results don't look the same as perfect binding by a loooong chalk.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Since it costs only a few dollars to get a book printed and bound professionally, why would anyone in their right mind want to do this? It would be like making your own shoes, or distilling your own liquor. The real problem, Jamey, is the marketing of books, getting your books recognized and into already established distribution networks, so that you don’t have to sell your books out of your trunk. <shudders> And if you have to make your own books on top of that, that would be the ultimate indignity. Still, if you go that route, you can get books printed in quantity for a couple of dollars each, far less than the real cost of your little set-up. BTW, the books look...well, crappy, sorry to say. Though they're probably good enough for a 4-H project.

logos1234567

Registered
Reaction score
160 pages of paper will cost more than 60 cents let alone the cost of the printer ink!

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see those books being big sellers...sorry.

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
Fifty cents a copy? In which era did he make the page?

I think it would be okay for people who are making a family history for their children and grandchildren, but not for a book they hope to sell. Hmmm I might consider it for that.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Anyone can make a book. Gee, I did that when I was in high school. Then you have to ask yourself, why bother?

Status
Not open for further replies.