PDA

View Full Version : Smashwords questions

Todsplace
06-28-2011, 04:51 AM
Hi guys,

Can I ask some Smashwords-specific formatting questions?

Firstly, am I begging for trouble by including smart quotes in my submitted word file? If so, is there any preferred way to put the smart quotes in word?

Secondly, do people actually buy PDFs from SW? And if so, should I create my word document to be in a book-sized dimension? Or will that totally mess up my other formats that rely on the same file?

Thirdly, what are your opinions on covers? Should I include the cover in the doc file and risk having it repeated in epub or not include it.... and have a PDF without a cover? It seems like a waste of money to pay an artist to do a cover and then only have it included on certain formats?

Fourthly, I know MC mentions in his style guide that using the copyright symbol will cause trouble in some fromats, but I'm guessing the major formats will be OK with it, right?

I hope you guys can help :)

Tod

Cath
06-28-2011, 05:37 AM
Smart quotes can cause problems even in EPUB format, it's a good idea not to use them at all if you can help it.

I can't speak for sales, but PDF in general is still a popular format, although a little less device friendly than some eBook formats. It renders better on a bigger screen, IMO, although if your content is fiction or primarily text, it's usually fine regardless of screen size.

I like covers - and done properly, it shouldn't be repeated in the EPUB file (depending on how you're creating the EPUB file of course, I don't have experience of Smashwords directly).

Todsplace
06-28-2011, 05:45 AM
Smart quotes cause problems with ePUB? Wow, that's something I didn't know. I thought ePUB was far superior to MOBI.

Thanks for replying :)

Cath
06-28-2011, 05:48 AM
EPUB uses HTML encoding to render text. Conversion from Word format can be a dog, especially with automated systems.