PDA

View Full Version : SASE q (Canadian)

PollyAnna
06-27-2011, 12:52 AM
I'm from Canada, and I'm trying to include a SASE with my partial to an agent in the States.

When I checked at the post office, the woman said I would include a prepaid 'voucher' that the agent would have to take to the post office for postage.

Is this truly the case or did I talk to a postal worker who is misinformed? (I wasn't able to mail anyway due to a postal strike). It doesn't seem ideal-- I'm guessing agents don't want to make a trip to an actual post office to send a reply.

waylander
06-27-2011, 01:17 AM
We're talking about International Reply Coupons here which are a Royal pain in the ass as someone from the agency has to queue up at the post office, talk to the clerk who has never seen one before, wait while they get a colleague who knows what an IRC is....

Just include your e-mail address prominently in your cover letter. If they love your work they will find a way of getting in touch with you. If they don't, well you don't really want the answer

alleycat
06-27-2011, 01:27 AM
I've never dealt with this situation (and I've seen different ideas about how to handle it), but I think if it were me I'd just send a "SAE" (self-addressed envelope). The big thing about sending a SASE is as a courtesy and to make it easy for someone to reply; having to address an envelope is what takes the time. In any office of any size people just drop the correspondence off and someone else takes care of the postage and mailing. Most firms don't worry about the postage to mail a letter.

Just my 2-cents.

PollyAnna
06-27-2011, 07:18 PM
Thank you both.

Wildflower90
06-27-2011, 10:02 PM
I sent out a SASE to San Diego from the UK and the agent replied via email despite this. Just ask for them to reply by email and it'll save you a lot of money and frustration!

AmsterdamAssassin
06-28-2011, 11:45 AM
A SASE is a courtesy for a response with a minimum of bother for the agent/editor. International Response Coupons, while courteous, won't be used, because the cost of going down to the post office instead of the mailroom is counterproductive.

Besides that, you cannot send a thumbed/marked up partial/full manuscript to the next agent/editor*, so why should they send it back? If they want to reject/respond, ask them for a response by email and/or include a SAE.
If they like your work, having to spring for the return postage won't bother them.

*I read a story about an agent receiving a thumbed and marked manuscript, but the cover letter gave a reason: the author was in jail and had limited options to print out a fresh manuscript for each new query...

profen4
06-28-2011, 03:20 PM
I swapped stamps with a fellow AW'er. American for Canadian. Then you can send an SASE with actual stamps and no worries at all.

PollyAnna
06-28-2011, 11:03 PM
I swapped stamps with a fellow AW'er. American for Canadian. Then you can send an SASE with actual stamps and no worries at all.

Oh, good idea!

I ended up including a SAE and making sure my email address was obvious.

Thanks all!

CDancourt
07-01-2011, 02:23 AM
Got the same problem. Either use US stamps (put enough on the envelop), either pay for UPS (costy).