PDA

View Full Version : Ed Wood.

CatharsisChild
06-25-2011, 05:42 AM
The man was a frickin' genius. That's all I'm going to say for now.

alleycat
06-25-2011, 05:46 AM
Did you see the movie about his life and times?

CatharsisChild
06-25-2011, 05:48 AM
Did you see the movie about his life and times?
Yes. Very inspiring.

kuwisdelu
06-25-2011, 06:40 AM
The movie about him starring Johnny Depp is great.

Alessandra Kelley
06-25-2011, 06:45 AM
I love the scene where Ed Wood and Orson Welles meet in a bar and they have a deep, understanding conversation about the cinematic arts and they're in perfect agreement. Except Welles is one kind of a genius and Wood is -- totally other. And neither of them really realizes it.

BenPanced
06-25-2011, 07:44 AM
Ed Wood was a seriously untalented hack.

Manuel Royal
06-25-2011, 05:59 PM
When I watched Plan 9 From Outer Space, it was almost a transcendant experience. Why? Because I'd heard so much about it being nearly preternaturally bad, and now found that nothing had been exaggerated. It wasn't just incompetent or suffering from a low budget; it was as if there was a curse on every line, every camera set-up.

In a way, it was heartbreaking, because you can tell that all the way through Ed Wood thought he was doing something worthwhile. Sometimes he's so close to expressing an interesting concept, or even something philosophically profound -- but his Anti-Muse screws him every time.

And, there's a cop who keeps scratching his head with his gun. That never stops being funny.

A while back I saw a notice about a movie in pre-production, called Grave Robbers From Outer Space. Something about the title nudged at the back of my mind, until I remembered it was the original title for Plan 9. Yes, somebody had decided to remake Woods' movie. Apparently it's on hold now, and I'm not sure if it's a worthwhile idea. It would be pointless to make it deliberately bad, because it still wouldn't be as hilariously bad as the original, sincerely unwitting effort. And if somehow it was actually good -- I don't know what would happen. Something apocalyptic, perhaps.

shelleyo
06-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Ed was enthusiastic about everything.

Personally, I wouldn't call that genius. Just enthusiastic.

Shelley

CatharsisChild
06-25-2011, 08:33 PM
He may have made crap, but he put his heart into it.

mirandashell
06-25-2011, 09:46 PM
He's a genius because he went through merely bad, accelerated across fricking awful and landed in WTF land.

His genius was for making films that are beyond description bad with heart and soul and a real belief in what he was doing. Amazing to watch.

Celia Cyanide
06-26-2011, 03:22 AM

In some ways he did. When you really put your heart into filmmaking, however, you take the time to make sure the sound editing is done properly.

Torgo
06-26-2011, 03:55 AM
Coleman Francis makes Ed Wood look like Peter Jackson.

Manuel Royal
06-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Coleman Francis makes Ed Wood look like Peter Jackson.Roger that. At least in an Ed Wood movie there's enough goofy stuff going on that it's got a bizarre entertainment value. Coleman Francis always seemed to have about one page of screenplay, stretched out to an hour and a half. When they did his movies on MST3K, they had to work like dogs to keep riffing. (To be honest, I've tried twice to watch Red Zone Cuba, and still can't explain what happens in it.)

Y'know something Coleman Francis never learned? That when you show a reaction shot, you don't have to keep holding it for a full minute. (Or however long it is. I know it's long enough for me to feel my death getting closer.)

shelleyo
06-26-2011, 02:08 PM
Y'know something Coleman Francis never learned? That when you show a reaction shot, you don't have to keep holding it for a full minute. (Or however long it is. I know it's long enough for me to feel my death getting closer.)

The Mystery Science Theater version takes away the pain. Mostly.

I think Ed Wood, Coleman Francis and Roger Corman were MST3K favorites, for obvious reasons.

Shelley

Torgo
06-26-2011, 04:25 PM
"Night Traaaain! To Mundo Feeeeeeeenay!"

As far as I can tell, in Red Zone Cuba, a profoundly unappealing convict played by the director escapes from prison, where by the looks of him he was sent for being a psychopath who eats his victims. He runs in to two Samuel Beckett characters, stewing their boots in a blasted hellscape, and together they make their way - via a Coleman Francis motif, the light aircraft - to sign on as mercenaries, which as it turns out means joining up with the Bay of Pigs invasion.

They get shipped out to Cuba, wet their pants, get captured by a cigar-chewing Fidel Castro impersonator in a false beard, escape the least-well secured stockade in the history of cinema, and haul ass for the nearest light aircraft. They also heroically abandon their CO to die, but only after he reveals that he's the owner of a mine full of precious minerals back in the USA.

They show up at the mine and push their CO's wife around until she agrees to help them exploit the fabulous tungsten wealth therein; they also do a little murdering to keep their hands in. It's all in vain though as soon enough the cops show up to shoot them to death, and also their CO turns up, having not died of his wounds in Cuba after all.

Everything is shot in the inimitable Francis style; a director whose eye captures nothing but greyness, dullness, and especially ugliness. Like all his movies, there's not a single frame that doesn't look like a grainy newsprint photograph accompanying an article about someone who turned out to have a chest freezer full of nurses.

Manuel Royal
06-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Torgo, that post was so much more entertaining than the actual movie. "Chest freezer full of nurses" could be the new catchphrase I've been looking for.

BenPanced
06-26-2011, 10:02 PM
If you can find anything by Doris Fish, you'll realize there's somebody even lower on the totem pole than Wood.

Alessandra Kelley
06-26-2011, 11:50 PM
The Mystery Science Theater version takes away the pain. Mostly.

I think Ed Wood, Coleman Francis and Roger Corman were MST3K favorites, for obvious reasons.

Shelley

MST3K performed an invaluable service in that they made unbearable movies watchable. It takes a lot of talent and work to do that.

ResearchGuy
06-27-2011, 02:49 AM
The movie about him starring Johnny Depp is great.
Johnny Depp is a genius. Which probably largely reflects his extraordinary work ethic and preparation as much as his talent, IMHO. The movie Ed Wood was brilliant.

--Ken

Torgo
06-28-2011, 01:16 AM
Torgo, that post was so much more entertaining than the actual movie. "Chest freezer full of nurses" could be the new catchphrase I've been looking for.

You're welcome!

Manuel Royal
06-28-2011, 03:54 PM
. . . look like Peter Jackson.Does that mean, "showing technical skill but immature artistic judgement"? You could do worse.

Ha!

Torgo
06-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Does that mean, "showing technical skill but immature artistic judgement"? You could do worse.

Ha!

Yeah, Jackson's the most talented special effects director I have ever seen. The artistic judgment... well, I love The Frighteners and almost all of LOTR, but King Kong is utterly baffling to me.

Diana Hignutt
07-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Yeah, Jackson's the most talented special effects director I have ever seen. The artistic judgment... well, I love The Frighteners and almost all of LOTR, but King Kong is utterly baffling to me.

But, damn it, it looks great.

Manuel Royal
07-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Yeah, Jackson's the most talented special effects director I have ever seen. The artistic judgment... well, I love The Frighteners and almost all of LOTR, but King Kong is utterly baffling to me.I wish Peter Jackson knew when not to use special effects. "Hm, should I rely on world-famous actress Cate Blanchett to nail the line? Or should I turn her green and glowing and modify her voice?" (And I've never figured out whether that was supposed to be literally happening, or was a pointless cinematic device, or what.)

Saw Bride of the Monster recently. Kind of sad; I wish Bela Lugosi could have had a real comeback, because in spite of age and drug addiction, he still had some acting chops. With a good script, a competent director and a decent production, he could have still done something worthwhile.

eyeblink
07-02-2011, 01:57 AM
Plan Nine from Outer Space is at least entertaining. I speak as someone who has sat through They Saved Hitler's Brain.

Manuel Royal
07-02-2011, 03:38 AM
I speak as someone who has sat through They Saved Hitler's Brain.Hey, Man -- that shit could happen!

captain_ryan
07-14-2011, 06:32 AM
They Saved Hitler's Brain is my cat's favorite movie. I know I sound like a crazy cat person, but I'm not. I can have any movie going, and he won't care. When I turn on that film, HE RUSHES INTO THE ROOM. I think Crown International Pictures found their target audience.

"I'm Cherokee Jack!"

GeorgeK
07-14-2011, 08:26 AM
Trail of the Screaming Forehead

Wood-eske, almost made for Mystery Science Theatre

kuwisdelu
07-14-2011, 08:37 AM
I think Ed Wood would have loved the sci-fi film I made in eighth grade.

captain_ryan
07-14-2011, 08:44 AM
I think Ed Wood would have loved the sci-fi film I made in eighth grade.

He probably would have bought the distribution rights.

kuwisdelu
07-14-2011, 08:47 AM
He probably would have bought the distribution rights.

I still think it was a great movie, but it was made under very Ed Wood conditions. (No budget, actors that just wanted to play video games, etc., filmed in a two days, etc.) Needless to say, it didn't reflect my idea's potential.

captain_ryan
07-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Sounds ambitious for 8th grade. But, on second thought, if there wasn't an obscene amount of stock footage, he probably would have passed.

kuwisdelu
07-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Sounds ambitious for 8th grade. But, on second thought, if there wasn't an obscene amount of stock footage, he probably would have passed.

Nah. Fortunately, the only other competent member of my crew was the computer geek who owned a Mac and actually had decent editing skills and damn good sfx chops. (Considering he was also in 8th grade, anyway.)

We had 3D animation for the alien invasion overlaid on our real-life shots of our battle and everything.

They were still horrible by Hollywood standards, of course (though I must say the screenplay was much better than the current crop of Hollywood titles ;)), but I mostly credit our technical superiority over Ed Wood as purely thanks to the march of technology. Did I mention our aliens had lampshades as heads with duct-taped-on bananas as noses?

captain_ryan
07-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Did I mention our aliens had lampshades as heads with duct-taped-on bananas as noses?

Still better than a gorilla in a diving helmet.

SirOtter
07-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Trail of the Screaming Forehead

Wood-eske, almost made for Mystery Science Theatre

I think Larry Blamire went to the well once too often with that one. I loved Lost Skeleton of Cadavra and found Dark and Stormy Night amusing, but the more I see of his films, the faster the charm wears off. Screaming Forehead was just unwatchable.

xitomatl
07-14-2011, 09:40 PM

This!

I think if people put half as much heart into what they really loved to do as Ed Wood did, this world would be a much better place.

There might be a lot more schlock, but at least people would be happier.