an island that's neither cold nor tropical

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Key West and other spots in Florida - too hot, too many palm trees and sand.
Maine - too cold.
I need some spot where there is a lot of islands (not just one that's a big deal, noticed and admired by everyone), and the weather is mild. There has to be a lot of plants, trees, etc. It doesn't have to be a real existing island, just an area where I could place it. Northern America, preferably U.S.
Thanks in advance!

McMich

Registered
Reaction score
hilton head south carolina is an actual island- but anywhere along south/north carolina would give you nice weather year round- only thing to deal with is hurricane season.

lcwrite

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Tangier Island in the Chesapeake Bay? Subject of at least one Patricia Cornwell novel (Isle of Dogs). It is not part of a large number of islands but is only reached by boat or small plane. Reportedly they have a lot of inbreeding on the island.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding the San Juans or even Island County, in Washington State. Lovely mild climate, various sizes and populations, and some have connections by ferry to the mainland.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
If Florida is too hot, we'd be too hot here in NC. Unless you just mean winter/early spring on our coast.

And we have a lot of sand :D :D

Same for SC, btw. And they have more palm trees, too ;)

I've never visited the Pacific NW, but I know they can grow stuff that would steam to nothing in our summers. I take it they are a lot cooler (and no colder in winter, either).

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
Channel Islands off of Southern California, including Santa Catalina. As I recall there are quite a few islands off the coast of Virginia as well, some of which once held plantations.

serabeara

Very Necessary
Registered
Reaction score
The Pacific Northwest has a lot of islands that aren't going to be tropical but aren't going to be freezing either. You might want to google it and see if anything fits. This whole area is heavily wooded, I think you might find what you're looking for.