Resubmission dilemma, help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinaK

On the Beach
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry in advance for the long post but any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

I recently received a request to revise and resubmit a contemporary romance MS I wrote for a call. It is my first submission and I made some rookie mistakes. The acquiring editor sent a very encouraging and detailed email with things I should address. They said that there was not a lot to fix and hoped I decided to resubmit.

I emailed the editor back indicating that I would most definitely revise and resubmit. As this call is scheduled for publication in October I asked about a timeframe for the reread. The editor responded with parameters but said not to worry because if time didn’t permit then they would consider my MS as a standalone.

The initial call was for novella length up to 45K; mine is a little more than 44K. While waiting for the verdict on my submission I wrote an expanded version of the story that is 72K. I figured if I received a rejection I would sub the expanded version to other targeted publishers. The 72K would qualify for both electronic and print publication; usually anything less than 50K is only electronic. Should I at any point tell the editor about the longer version, considering they have not made a definitive decision yet?

Ambri

Plotting something
Registered
Reaction score
Second star to the right, straight on till evening
I don't have experience with editors as of yet, so take anything I say with a grain of salt, but if they had mentioned to not worry about the "call" deadline and they might be able to market it as a standalone, then you might mention you do have a full-length version, and see which version they'd prefer. BTW, congrats on the R&R.

NinaK

On the Beach
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Ambri, I appreciate your input.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would shoot the editor an email and mention that I had written an expanded version if they were interested in the ms as a stand alone instead of the call. Then just thank her/him and wait for a response.

CopiaRomance

Registered
Reaction score
Totally ditto. One of my many mottos is that it never hurts to ask. But if the editor is interested in the longer version, first take a look at the R&R letter and see if any of it may apply to the expanded version and correct as you see fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.