PDA

View Full Version : Something about this doesn't sit right with me

seun
06-23-2011, 03:03 PM
I just got the dvd of the Spike Lee film Miracle At St Anna at work. This is a link to a picture of the front cover:

http://www.dogatemywookie.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Miraclestannadvd.jpg

See the four names below the four guys? Don't quite go together, do they?

I know names are used to sell films, but it still seems off to me to have four names on the front with four guys who aren't those names.

Am I overthinking it or is this not on?

regdog
06-23-2011, 04:11 PM
No, you're not overthinking it. But Hollywood doesn't think of anything beside hoe much money can we make from this. And the irony is the 4 guys mentioned on the cover have small. almost cameo roles in the movie. Pierfrancesco has the biggest role and his is still small by comparison to the 4 guys on the cover.

Name recognition sells tickets, dvds etc.

seun
06-23-2011, 04:15 PM
Name recognition sells tickets, dvds etc.

Definitely true. I think the classier thing to do would either put the names of the four main characters on the front or lose the names completely.

But then what does class have to do with it?

regdog
06-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Since when does Hollywood or most big business have class?

And I agree with you about the names on the cover. Name the actors featured or don't name any.

The four actors featured on the cover and starring in the movie did a fantastic job. they all gave compelling performances.

seun
06-23-2011, 04:31 PM
Looks like an interesting film in any case. I'll give it a watch.

regdog
06-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Definitely watch it.

Jcomp
06-23-2011, 05:31 PM
I don't have too much of a problem with it, aside from it perhaps being seen as intentionally misleading the consumer. Otherwise, alas, it's business.

Lavern08
06-23-2011, 06:10 PM
Definitely watch it.

I totally enjoyed it too. ;)

dpaterso
06-23-2011, 06:23 PM
Happens lots with older movies being re-released on DVD or shown on TV, too. Suddenly the film stars a famous actor, who was really only a bit-parter in the background when the film got made.

-Derek

seun
06-23-2011, 11:36 PM
I don't have too much of a problem with it, aside from it perhaps being seen as intentionally misleading the consumer. Otherwise, alas, it's business.

Yeah, I suppose so. I still didn't like it, though.

BenPanced
06-24-2011, 05:16 AM
Remember how Batman was promoted as a Jack Nicholson movie?

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
06-24-2011, 06:17 AM
I remember when I was a kid and heard about Logan's Run starring Farrah Fawcett. Then she's in it for like 15 seconds with maybe three lines.

BenPanced
06-24-2011, 06:38 AM
Or how they marketed the home video release of the original Bedazzled with Raquel Welch's name over Dudley Moore's and Peter Cook's but she only has about 10 minutes of screen time.

MikTal
06-24-2011, 11:29 AM
I like most of Spike`s work, but he is a fool to himself at times.

If I remember correctly, at the time of this films release, wasnt he in a public slanging match with Clint Eastwood over blacks servicemens portrail in Eastwoods war films? Spikes films have a limited audience as it is, so to pick a fight with a Hollywood icon like Eastwood, days before the release fo your own film, is not your idea of marketing genius. What you see there is simply a desperate attempt to claw back some kind, any kind of audience.

Spike does have a point to make about highlighting the correct version of black history, but he has chosen the wrong mendium. At the end of the day, films are about entertainment pure and simple. His films are always lecturing and preaching and you feel you have to, sit up straight at the back. The opening scene of St Anna, with the guy watching the John Wayne film, was totally clumbsy IMO, and it was never really explained why this postal worker took a gun to work??!

Celia Cyanide
06-24-2011, 12:00 PM
Since when does Hollywood or most big business have class?

And I agree with you about the names on the cover. Name the actors featured or don't name any.

The four actors featured on the cover and starring in the movie did a fantastic job. they all gave compelling performances.

I'm sure they can all live with having the bigger name actors on the cover instead of their own. They know it will get their film more attention.

I'm an unknown actor, and we are very aware that you guys are all much more likely to see a movie with name actors in it. It is somewhat of a stamp of approval that the script is good and worthwhile. Because, let's face it, we unknown actors don't have nearly as many options as famous ones do. We can't always afford to turn down a role because we don't like the script.

It's not insulting to us, really.

Max Vaehling
06-24-2011, 12:18 PM
I remember when SCREAM 2 was on TV in Germany a while ago they had billboard ads pretending it was a Sarah Michelle Gellar movie.

I thought it was funny. Though they probably didn't mean it like that.

And don't get me wrong, she totally owns both of her scenes. Still...

BenPanced
06-25-2011, 07:45 AM
I'm sure they can all live with having the bigger name actors on the cover instead of their own. They know it will get their film more attention.

I'm an unknown actor, and we are very aware that you guys are all much more likely to see a movie with name actors in it. It is somewhat of a stamp of approval that the script is good and worthwhile. Because, let's face it, we unknown actors don't have nearly as many options as famous ones do. We can't always afford to turn down a role because we don't like the script.

It's how you get famous, anyway.

nighttimer
06-25-2011, 08:20 AM
Definitely true. I think the classier thing to do would either put the names of the four main characters on the front or lose the names completely.

But then what does class have to do with it?

With all due respect to Celia who knows the movie biz far better than I, you don't have to be Al Sharpton to guess why the names of four White actors are emphasized as the "stars" of Miracle At St. Anna while the names of the four Black actors whom are the central characters of the film are nowhere to be found on the DVD jacket.

It's a little bit different than Celia being in a movie where Gary Busey, Rutger Hauer or Corey Feldman are part of the cast even if they only have bit parts and she's on screen for practically the entire film. Busey and Hauer are former "A" listers who are no longer headliners but still need to pay the bills.

It's a Black thing, but it's more about the green, than the Black.

Fox Searchlight was recently developing "Baggage Claim," which chronicles a young flight attendant's search for Mr. Right and stars an ensemble of African-American actors, including Oscar nominee Taraji P. Henson.

But that film ended up in "turnaround," the Hollywood term for when a studio abandons the rights to a project and allows others to acquire it. It was heavily targeted to an African-American audience, a factor that often means the film won't play well abroad.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704913304575371394036766312.html

Only recently have movies begun to crack one of Hollywood’s most troubling and least openly discussed problems: an international “color line” behind which films relying on black stars often do not perform well. The box office prowess of “Dreamgirls” overseas will help signal whether this newfound success is fleeting or more lasting.

“I always call international the new South, ” said Reginald Hudlin (http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/filmography.html?p_id=33725&inline=nyt-per), the director of “House Party” (http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=23332&inline=nyt_ttl) and “The Ladies Man” (http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/movie.html?v_id=214071&inline=nyt_ttl) and now the entertainment president of BET Networks, where he oversees television and feature film operations. “In the old days, they told you black films don’t travel down South. Now they say it’s not going to travel overseas.”

Most Hollywood executives, producers and analysts interviewed for this article delicately maintained that the resistance to black performers abroad had had less to do with bigotry than with the international audience’s lack of experience with the humor or urban situations that figure in many of their films. Some in the industry, though, were more blunt.

“The international marketplace is still fairly racist,” said James Ulmer, proprietor of the Ulmer Scale, which compiles input from about 100 international film professionals in a periodic rating of stars’ “bankability.” In Mr. Ulmer’s rating, Will Smith (http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/filmography.html?p_id=66596&inline=nyt-per), the highest-ranked black star, placed No. 12 over all last year, behind Tom Cruise (http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/filmography.html?p_id=86295&inline=nyt-per), Tom Hanks (http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/filmography.html?p_id=93341&inline=nyt-per), Jim Carrey (http://movies2.nytimes.com/gst/movies/filmography.html?p_id=11257&inline=nyt-per) and others, notwithstanding industry chatter that has often tagged Mr. Smith as the biggest star today.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/28/movies/28color.html

It would be glib to suggest foreign audiences don't want to see films starring Black actors, but it's probably a lot easier to sell a ticket for Halle Berry as part of an ensemble in a X-Men movie than one where she has the leading role (then again, Halle has been making lousy movies for quite a while now so maybe overseas audiences just have better taste).

The flip side is for every "Black" movie that doesn't fare well overseas, you've got a Wesley Snipes who after Blade: Trinity flopped went on to keep his career going by making several straight-to-DVD action flicks in Romania. They're pretty lousy, but hey it keeps Steven Seagal eating well.

I don't think White audiences here were lining up to see For Colored Girls or the last Madea flick by Tyler Perry so it's complicated.

It sucks, but it's probably motivated more by marketing than bigotry.