Co-author query issues...

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Is there some sort of subtle reluctance on the part of agents (or agencies) to consider representing co-authors? Contracting issues? Or something else we may have overlooked?

After a handful of generally gracious rejections, my wife (co-author) and I were surprised to receive an e-mail note suggesting that agents were not enamored with signing/representing as yet unpublished co-authors. The implied suggestion that we split... well, that was just unacceptable on any level - be it the work or the relationship.

I've searched this forum for further guidance, but found little specific information. One thread regarding ghost-writing/co-authorship mentioned the somewhat pervasive belief that such reluctance was indeed the reality.

I can fully understand an agent's declination for the usual reasons; but I can't help thinking that I've missed something - perhaps something very important... Can anyone elucidate?

sonyablue

Registered
Reaction score
Website
unusualincident.wordpress.com
As I understand it, publishers believe that readers are turned off by books with more than one author and are thus reluctant to publish or buy one. There may be some truth to this (that people really don't like books with more than one author) or it may just be a misconception - I'm not sure. But the fact remains that publishers are resistant to it.