How to become a writer [humor]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archie1989

Is Published!!!
Registered
Reaction score
That made me giggle :) And then want to punch him for getting a 30k advance on a book that someone asked him to write, and that he didn't have to spend months subbing to a zillion agents . . .

Lol.

amrose

is Envy Augustine
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like the bit about reading rainbow and all it takes is imagination.

Reaction score
That made me giggle :) And then want to punch him for getting a 30k advance on a book that someone asked him to write, and that he didn't have to spend months subbing to a zillion agents . . .

Lol.

Well, to be fair, the guy did spend years writing articles for a popular humor web site and created his own web site upon which he placed his own material. The publisher went to him knowing that he could write and also knowing that this was the kind of writer who could produce the kind of material that they knew they could sell. The guy had name-recognition from the start, and demonstrated ability. Once he accepted the project, they needed to pay him the advance to keep him from saying "project shmoject! These guys aren't doing anything for me! I'm just gonna keep writing for the web site and forget this piddling little thing they want me to do."

I know this is something for the freelancing forum but it bears mentioning that taking on more projects than you can handle and then prioritizing which ones you will actually put effort into is considered to be a corrupt business practice, but a lot of freelancers do it.

Reaction score
I like the bit about reading rainbow and all it takes is imagination.

One of my pet peeves is certain people who are involved in the writing hobby who insist that "storytelling" ability and "creativity" are more important than research, spelling, grammar, punctuation, and organization; to such a degree that you need not know any of the other things if you think you have the first two down pat.

I won't go any further with this one. I can feel my blood pressure going up.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Pictured: A more glamorous and fulfilling life than "author."

(It's a picture of two gas station attendants)

Another favorite:

After a while, [editing] does get easier though. But only because you will rediscover, with every single sentence, what an incredibly talentless asshole you really are. Every stilted phrase, obvious typo or terrible analogy will have you grimacing and swearing tiny vendettas at the horrible hack who wrote all this garbage you now have to fix.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
This cracked me up. Then I had to go add his book to my wishlist on Amazon. Nothing like morbid humor about the apocalypse to brighten one's day, after all. :D

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
One of my pet peeves is certain people who are involved in the writing hobby who insist that "storytelling" ability and "creativity" are more important than research, spelling, grammar, punctuation, and organization; to such a degree that you need not know any of the other things if you think you have the first two down pat.

I won't go any further with this one. I can feel my blood pressure going up.

Yeah, that totally cheeses me off.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Absolutely. Yet I always snicker up my sleeve when I encounter the "read for content, not something as superficial as spelling, punctuation, and grammar" bunch. They aren't the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.