Writing to a particular agent

Eugene

Eugene Dubnov
Registered
Reaction score
Website
eugenedubnov.co.uk
If you write to a particular agent at an agency that has a few agents and he/she isn't interested, will they pass it on to a colleague who might be? Do they compete among themselves or care about the success of the agency as a whole?

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Most agents will pass something along to a colleague if they think their colleague will like it, yes. It's happened to me before.

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
They might, and they might not. Every agency is different, and it really depends on their relationship and how much one agent knows about what the other is looking for—and of course, whether they're willing to make the effort to pass things along.

Sometimes a more veteran agent seems to be automatically passing queries on to a new agent who's building his list (judging by my experience and the comments on Query Tracker), so it isn't always as meaningful as you might think to have your query passed along.

Unless the agency policy states that a no from one is a no from all, you can query another agent at the same agency if the first agent rejects you.

I hope that covered all the reasons you might have been asking that question. ;)