Online sites for backup and storage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I know a lot of writers on AW swear by this site/service.

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/06/dropbox/

My take on online sites or 'in the cloud' services has always been: not me, no, never ...

I've been having this argument with friends on other sites for years. When I backup, I backup to something that physically stays with me. I trust no online storage sites. I backup to little flash drives, or a larger hd that sits literally at my feet, and sometimes I print stuff out, and I even save on dvds when I am fairly sure my story (or novel) is finished.

I am just posting this because a lot of huge and supposedly secure sites (in the banking world, for example,) are being hacked, exposed or accessed. There are some huge email sites (I shall not say names) that have been hacked, opened or exposed, too.

Of course, I think most of us are in agreement that even if our precious WIPs were 'stolen' or viewed, we still own the copyright, etc. But I still don't like sites like this or the whole 'in the cloud' idea.

Just a few ideas.

Edited/added: There are sites, too, which 'deleted' emails and other material. Yikes, I trust no one but me.

Last edited:

Sharii

I draw comics, lots of comics.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sharii.com
I don't think 'clouds' were ever meant to be for backing up, at least not in the current state. I used Dropbox to sync files between my computers for the ease of my workflow. As like the other kind of online services, ultimately, you're responsible for your own security first and foremost. I had accepted that something like that is a part of the risk.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use Dropbox as well as a flashdrive to back up everything. I want an offsite back up just in case my flashdrive fails and computer crashes.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Nothing is ever "secure." You could misplace your flash drive. You could have all your cd's stolen w/ your work on it. Your laptop/netbook/iPad could be stolen and someone could get past your password.

I like dropbox (you can just go to dropbox.com) to sync my two computers. And for backup along with all the above.

janwyl

New kid, pile on in...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can of course do without online back-up, but then you have to be careful to keep your back-up in a different location from the computer from which you are backing up. No point in having your computer and back-up drive in your home because then it's all been for naught if you're burgled or your house burns down.

I use Carbonite. I don't think it's 100% reliable or secure, but I think the risk of me losing lots of my work because I'm not diligent in doing the process myself properly (e.g. not having separate locations as above) is higher than Carbonite failing me (either not backing up properly or giving my data to someone who could and would actually do something harmful with it).

wizard tim

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chimpwithpencil.com
The strange thing is that if you lost your manuscript and had to rewrite it from memory, it would probably be just as good if not better. As an exercise, you can write a 2 or 3 page synopsis of your current or last work, then compare it to the formal synopsis. I'll bet you hit every major plot point, and most of the minor ones.

I tried it and was amazed. I can't remember anyone's name and forget things all the time, but I know my own story.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I use Sugarsync - I save stuff to my documents folder, it backs it up to online storage, which I can then access from my laptop too. I just save the file as normal. It does the rest (once you've told it which part of your PC to backup)I have a copy on my PC (and my laptop last time I opened it) and online too. Just in case. Works for me.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Cloud storage should never be the only source of storage you use. Beside dropbox, I also have 2 external hard drives and a few other gizmo's.

Mostly I use cloud storage to sync my files between my lap tops, desk top and work computer instead of carrying around a memory stick. I back up once a week to my other devices, sometimes more often.

lcwrite

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I use Carbonite and did have to use it once to recover a laptop. It worked.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I use Mozy and emails to myself because I've had those 'physical' backups fail miserably in the past. If it's physical, it can be damaged.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
I email versions to my sister. When I send her a new version, she deletes the old one. We also back up all of our files daily to an external hard drive. I backed up both novels to Cloud as well because I got a free year of the service. My husband is a techie. I'm much more afraid of house fires or viruses that destroy hard drives than I am of someone hacking Cloud to get my manuscript.

Status
Not open for further replies.