Can't grant exclusive, still send?

kposa

Registered
Reaction score
I read through the threads that discussed exclusive submissions, but I can't find the answer to my question.

Say, an agent says she's interested in reading the full manuscript if I grant exclusivity. The ms is already with other agents so I can't give it to her. Should I still send the document, explaining the situation? Or was that an if-and-only-if situation? What do I say? I'd love to send her the manuscript, even if I can't grant exclusivity. Will she still read it or toss it because I'm "not following the guidelines"?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read through the threads that discussed exclusive submissions, but I can't find the answer to my question.

Say, an agent says she's interested in reading the full manuscript if I grant exclusivity. The ms is already with other agents so I can't give it to her. Should I still send the document, explaining the situation? Or was that an if-and-only-if situation? What do I say? I'd love to send her the manuscript, even if I can't grant exclusivity. Will she still read it or toss it because I'm "not following the guidelines"?

She might toss it, or respond that she'll only read if it's exclusive... I'd send it to her, but mention in the email you can't grant an exclusive because it is with other agents, but you hope she will still be interested in reading it.

Then she may or may not actually read, but she'll have it right there if she wants to ;)

~suki

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Dear agent,

I regret that I can't offer an exclusive, as the MS is already with others who have requested it. I have attached the full manuscript, as requested, if you are still interested in reading it on a non-exclusive basis.

(You can even promise not to make further submissions until you've heard from her, if you want, so it's semi-exclusive.)

kposa

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, both, for your help. I really hope something comes out of this request.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I've told agents that my MS is at X number of agents already and offered not to send it to more agents for a period of X weeks while that agent (who wanted the MS for an exclusive.) One agent called it waiving exclusivity for the MSs already off.

kposa

Registered
Reaction score
I'm waffling about offering not to send it to more agents (should I get the good fortune of garnering more interest). She requested exclusivity for 4 weeks, and I do have other queries with sample pages out there, some with up to 50 pages. What is the benefit of telling her "I won't send it to more" if it's already out there?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm waffling about offering not to send it to more agents (should I get the good fortune of garnering more interest). She requested exclusivity for 4 weeks, and I do have other queries with sample pages out there, some with up to 50 pages. What is the benefit of telling her "I won't send it to more" if it's already out there?

Well, it could give her some level of comfort if she really prefers exclusivity. But unless she is by far your number one choice - like you would be willing to give up consideration by all other agents on your list - then I wouldn't offer to hold off on sending it to anyone else. What if some of those queries or partials already out there turn into fulls? Or you discover another agent who would be great?

I'd just send it back with a note that you can't offer exclusivity. And if she comes back and asks that you not send it off to anyone else or to contact her when you can, then you can decide whether you are ok with that.

~suki

kposa

Registered
Reaction score
I'd just send it back with a note that you can't offer exclusivity.

This is what I did. I also mentioned that if I get an offer, I won't make a decision without contacting her first. Fingers crossed. :)