PDA

View Full Version : Comets and Criminals [reprints only, $25 for work up to 10k]

Izz
06-21-2011, 03:28 AM
Comets and Criminals is back open!

Full revised guidelines here (http://www.cometsandcriminals.com/?page_id=33), but the short of it is:

We want fantastic stories (that have already been published) of no more than 10,000 words in the Science Fiction, Crime and Mystery, Adventure, Historical, and Western genres. We are particularly interested in stories that cross the boundaries of the genres mentioned. We pay a flat rate of $25 (US) for the nonexclusive rights to showcase the story on our front page for one month, and then to archive indefinitely.

The new incarnation will be going live Jan 1, 2014, but we're open for submissions now.

Comets and Criminals (http://www.cometsandcriminals.com/) is a new prose and poetry market, launching Jan 1st, 2012, to be edited by yours truly.

That's a ways off, yes, but submissions are open now. We accept stories up to 10,000 words in the SF, Crime and Mystery, Adventure, History and Western genres. If you've got a story that straddles more than one of those genres, send it in. We love genre stew. We pay $10 for fiction under 1,000 words, and 1c a word above that.

Full guidelines for fiction here (http://www.cometsandcriminals.com/?page_id=36).

Notable excerpts: Please include 'FLASH SUBMISSION' or 'FICTION SUBMISSION' in your email subject line. We don't accept multiple or simultaneous submissions, and please allow 60 days for a reply. We accept reprints, but for a lesser rate.

Also note: while we encourage genre mashing and bending, straight fantasy and horror will be unlikely to sell to us.

We also accept poetry. Payment is a flat rate of $10 per poem. Poets are allowed to submit up to 5 poems at once, but these must all be in the same submission, and as separate attachments.

Full guidelines for poetry here (http://www.cometsandcriminals.com/?page_id=52).

Notable excerpt: While we prefer genre poetry, we'll look at more mainstream poetry, too.

For original fiction and poetry, we purchase exclusive first electronic rights for six months, as well as indefinite nonexlusive rights to archive your work (though if you want us to remove it from our archives it's unlikely we'd refuse). We also purchase nonexclusive anthology rights for twelve months from time of publishing.

We're also looking for cover art. We pay a flat-rate of $50 per image. NOTE: We're currently closed to art subs.

Full art guidelines here (http://www.cometsandcriminals.com/?page_id=63).

For art, we purchase nonexclusive rights to use the image as a cover, on the website and for advertising for 6 months once the contract is signed, and nonexclusive right to archive indefinitely (again, if you wish it removed from our archives at any stage, it's unlikely we'd refuse).

The appropriate email addresses to send your various submissions are included in the detailed guidelines. If you have a query that's not covered in the guidelines, you can ask it here, PM me, or email me at editor @ cometsandcriminals.com.

Here's hoping we see your fiction, poetry and art soon!

Brief note on the zine format: Each issue will be released as a quarterly, available as a full issue for a small price, and free content from the issue will be released on the site weekly over the course of the quarter.

Oh yeah: Feel free to spread the word, if you so desire. :D

Fenika
06-21-2011, 04:15 AM
It's good to see another fiction magazine, and I look forward to seeing your first issue. :)

alexshvartsman
06-21-2011, 04:56 AM
Wow Sam, congratulations (condolences?) on launching your own 'zine! I will be spamming you with flash fiction submissions shortly :)

Laurathewriter
06-21-2011, 10:27 PM
Exciting! Best of luck with this :)

Izz
06-22-2011, 01:06 AM
Thanks you, peeps :)

Just a note: our listings are now up on ralan's (http://www.ralan.com/m.pay.htm#CmtsCrmnls) and duotrope (http://www.duotrope.com/market_5994.aspx). If you do submit, don't forget to report your responses at duotrope :)

Debbie V
06-27-2011, 10:22 PM
I have three prose poems that involve crimes or reactions to crimes. Time to polish and submit.

Maryn
06-27-2011, 11:01 PM
I shall share this with my genre-specific critique group: mystery.

Thanks for the opportunity.

Maryn, who doesn't write it much these days

Izz
06-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Thanks for the support, peeps!

AnnieColleen
06-28-2011, 08:59 AM
This popped up in the Duotrope digest today. :)

stormie
06-28-2011, 05:28 PM
Hi Izz, I have a question. In your post here, you mention "...remove all traces of your name from the manuscript itself." This isn't mentioned on your Crime And Criminals website. Why should the author not have their name on the ms.? I know this is sometimes done in contests, but this is a regular submission. Just curious :)

Lyra Jean
06-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Interesting!

Izz
06-29-2011, 12:37 AM
Hi Izz, I have a question. In your post here, you mention "...remove all traces of your name from the manuscript itself." This isn't mentioned on your Crime And Criminals website. Why should the author not have their name on the ms.? I know this is sometimes done in contests, but this is a regular submission. Just curious :)I should probably remove that from the OP, as i've changed the sub guidelines. Names on manuscripts are fine :)

stormie
06-29-2011, 12:49 AM
:) Thanks for answering.

Maryn
06-29-2011, 01:35 AM
Oh, good. Now I don't have to change the headers, just the content. ;)

Maryn, who needs to do some rewrites

Izz
06-29-2011, 01:54 PM
I also should mention that, as we're a zine operated out of New Zealand, we're keen to include stories from Kiwi writers in each issue.

So if you're submitting and from NZ mention that in your cover letter. Even if you're currently overseas (i'd wager that the population of NZ would be at least thrice the amount it now is if all the Kiwis living around the world moved back home).

Buffysquirrel
07-05-2011, 08:18 PM
bookmarked!

virginia
07-26-2011, 07:47 PM
Yep, I've bookmarked this too, Izz. Sounds like a great idea.

Virginia

SBibb
07-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Interesting, I'll take a look into it. :-)

Izz
08-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Thanks, peeps. :)

Two things: We're moving launch date forward to October 1st. I'll be making an official announcement on the site soon, but AW gets the inside running on this one.

Also, if you're keen to find out a bit more about my editorial likes and dislikes, here's an interview (http://write1sub1.blogspot.com/2011/08/interview-with-samuel-mae-of-comets-and.html) the folks at Write1Sub1 did with me.

Izz
09-11-2011, 05:08 AM
A quick update in case you're interested where we're at: A Cover and a TOC for issue #1! (http://www.cometsandcriminals.com/?p=257)

We're reading for issue #2 currently, so send those subs in!

Deizelcore
09-11-2011, 12:47 PM
Good luck with the 'zine.

Maryn
09-11-2011, 07:59 PM
I told my critique group about this opportunity. One of them was happy to make the sale of "October Blood," which I read in an earlier incarnation. Obviously Comets and Criminals has exceedingly good taste in fiction.

Maryn, pleased

Izz
09-12-2011, 01:27 AM
Good luck with the 'zine.Thank you :)

I told my critique group about this opportunity. One of them was happy to make the sale of "October Blood," which I read in an earlier incarnation. Obviously Comets and Criminals has exceedingly good taste in fiction.

Maryn, pleasedAnd she has exceedingly good taste in venues to submit to ;) Thank you for referring her to us!

Izz, presently running around like a headless chicken

Debbie V
09-13-2011, 02:18 AM
The cover looks great. Guess I'll have to get those poems out for consideration for the second issue. Happy sales to you.

chekzchevov
09-16-2011, 07:17 AM
Hey, I just sent you an email containing a fresh poem of mine. I look forward to hearing back from you :)

Luana Spinetti
09-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Wonderful e-zine! :)

I have to admit I'd love to submit not just a short story, but an artwork too (I do both).

Do you allow for different submissions (art and writing) from the same author?

Izz
09-27-2011, 12:04 AM
The cover looks great. Guess I'll have to get those poems out for consideration for the second issue. Happy sales to you.Thank you :)

Hey, I just sent you an email containing a fresh poem of mine. I look forward to hearing back from you :)Thanks, Dalton. I look forward to reading it.

Wonderful e-zine! :)

I have to admit I'd love to submit not just a short story, but an artwork too (I do both).

Do you allow for different submissions (art and writing) from the same author?Hi Luana. Yes, we accept different submissions from the same author, just not multiple submissions of the same type. Send those stories and illustrations in!

Izz
10-01-2011, 03:29 AM
Issue #1 has launched (http://www.cometsandcriminals.com/?p=317).

I think i'm allowed a wee :snoopy: at this point :D

ETA: Oh yeah: we're still reading for issue #2, so keep those subs coming in!

regdog
10-01-2011, 03:08 PM
:TheWave:

Alessandra Kelley
10-01-2011, 03:48 PM
Congratulations, Izz!

Deizelcore
10-20-2011, 12:14 AM
I just noticed that I've violated a rule in your submission guidelines (sim subbed). Do I have to sent an email recalling my submission or something? You are the top zine I wanted to submit to in the first place, it's just that I've subbed my flash to a ton of 'zines (submission obsession) and missed the point when I was reading your guidelines.

Izz
10-20-2011, 12:58 AM
Hi Deizelcore

Yes, it'd be best to send through an email withdrawing your submission. Feel free to resubmit it once it's no longer being sim-subbed. Hopefully, of course, you'll have sold it long before then! :)

Laurathewriter
11-08-2011, 09:10 PM
How are you liking the Zine business, Izz? Buried in submissions yet?

Izz
11-09-2011, 03:35 AM
How are you liking the Zine business, Izz? Buried in submissions yet?It's going well so far, thanks, Laura. :)

Which reminds me: We'll be temporarily closing to fiction and art subs from 00:00 on the 14/11/11. We're already closed to poetry subs.

So, if you want to send something in for consideration for issue #2, you'll need to do so by 11:59pm 13/11/11 (whichever time zone you're in :)).

We'll reopen sometime in the early new year. I'll let everybody know here, and via the C&C blog and guidelines pages.

Gale Haut
11-09-2011, 04:33 AM
I really enjoyed what you have posted. Nice work, Izz!

Izz
11-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Thanks, Gale :)

junebug85
11-10-2011, 06:27 AM
Well, first off, congratulations. Secondly, I just sent you my personal favorite of the slew of short stories I've written lately. Hope you like it and break a leg with your new 'zine!

Ovid9
11-12-2011, 08:47 AM
Oh my, I just saw the temp closing for subs for issue #2. I don't know if I can get my story in sub-able condition by then. Hmmm, well, judging by the quality in issue one, C&C will be around for a long time to submit to!

I really enjoyed the stories in it Izz! Great work!

Deizelcore
11-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Speaking as customer, not a writer:

I have an unverified paypal account (and I prefer to leave it that way, at least for now), which I only use to receive payments for article writing. The problem is that, while most sites accept payment from these types of accounts, the C&C shop doesn't (the digital version of The NY Times also has this issue).

Could you resolve this issue, or is it something outside your control?

Izz
11-12-2011, 11:57 PM
Thanks, June and Ovid. :)

Deizel: At the payment screen, are you able to choose the 'Don't Have a PayPal Account' option? That way you can pay with a debit or credit card and not have the information saved or linked to a PayPal account.

What format are you looking to buy in? If you want Kindle format, you can buy from Amazon here (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005R5EVYE).

If the first option doesn't work, or you'd prefer not to pay directly with credit card, PM me and we'll see what we can work out.

Debbie V
11-14-2011, 08:59 PM
If only I weren't so distracted with other work. The poems are set to go, but I've been too slow. I'll be looking for the info for issue three and your reopening.

Izz
12-31-2011, 03:49 PM
We've reopened to fiction and poetry submissions.

We've also extended our max wordcounts to 10,000 across all the genres we represent.

Looking forward to seeing you all fill up my inbox again :)

Nexus
01-03-2012, 05:07 AM
Oh wow, Izz. I didn't realize you were Comets and Criminals. That's nifty.

As soon as BONETHRESHER is free up from the last submission, I will send it along to you @ C&C.

Everything looks so solid, or if not solid - gorgeous. One oddity I noticed is that you accept up to 10,000 words. The only word I can describe that as is... "interesting" (which is neutral impression).

Izz
01-03-2012, 06:27 AM
Thanks for your comments, Nexus. Glad you like the look :)

Out of curiosity, what do you find interesting/strange about us taking stories up to 10,000 words? :)

Nexus
01-03-2012, 07:00 AM
It is atypical. Although not drastically so. At least in my experience.

Most of the most professional magazines accept submissions with limits of 5,000 words to 7,500 words.

Fledgling magazines often have pretty frugle limits (2,500 words).

I feel like I haven't seen any institution with more than a 7,500 word limit that I can remember, that does not also mention their interest in novellas.

It is interesting because you may be putting stress on yourself from a reviewing and editing standpoint with stories of that size (which concerns me because you are shouldering the burden alone at the moment) but it is endearing that you do not limit the short form.
Because that limit allows virtually anything under the Short Story sun (if the genre is right).

I am concerned about your limits as a human, (but far from concerned about your qualifications and abilities). I just hope you aren't pushing yourself to hard with the expanded word counts.

Izz
01-03-2012, 08:19 AM
It is atypical. Although not drastically so. At least in my experience.

Most of the most professional magazines accept submissions with limits of 5,000 words to 7,500 words.

Fledgling magazines often have pretty frugle limits (2,500 words).

I feel like I haven't seen any institution with more than a 7,500 word limit that I can remember, that does not also mention their interest in novellas.

It is interesting because you may be putting stress on yourself from a reviewing and editing standpoint with stories of that size (which concerns me because you are shouldering the burden alone at the moment) but it is endearing that you do not limit the short form.
Because that limit allows virtually anything under the Short Story sun (if the genre is right).

I am concerned about your limits as a human, (but far from concerned about your qualifications and abilities). I just hope you aren't pushing yourself to hard with the expanded word counts.Thank you for your concerns, Nexus. They're much appreciated. :)

As a point of interest, many of the big/high-paying SF&F zines (Asimov's, Analog, F&SF, tor.com, Interzone, Beneath Ceaseless Skies, etc) accept fiction up to and above 10,000 words. They do, of course, have an editorial staff of greater than one.

The reason i restricted the word counts outside of the Crime & Mystery genre with the first two issues was not so much the time it might take to edit longer stories, but more because, due to my budget, i worried that each long story would essentially be taking up two short story slots. I can split them across two weeks when releasing them onto the website, but i like being able to read a story in one go, and therefore like being able to release a story in one go.

However, i bought an 8,900 word story for issue #2 and found i could keep that as an easter egg/bonus for people who buy the issue, and still have more than enough stories and poems to cover each week of the quarter (some weeks i release two stories, or a poem and a story). So i decided, why not make it easier for writers and make all the accepted lengths uniform?

That being said, my sweet spot is still between 2-5k, and i can't envisage that i'll be buying more than one or two long stories (7-10K) per issue (damn budget! :D). A longer story has to make me love it that much more before i'll buy it. Which in turn usually equals less editing, because i'm not going to buy a long story that i feel needs lots of work (though sometimes i'll buy a shorter story that needs a bit of work if i love the concept). If i think something is needed to improve it, i'll generally ask the author to consider a rewrite before i buy, which leaves things in their court. If they rewrite, awesome, if not, no problem.

Of course, my experience is still limited, so i may change my thoughts again in an issue or two :)

Nexus
01-03-2012, 08:46 AM
Ah, I am surprised I didn't recall that from Asimov's.

Either way. If you can handle it (and more importantly, sell it), then more power to ya.

I look forward to patronizing you, seeing what stories your magazine offers. Are the prices negotiable? How's everything in my pocket at this moment (lint, paperclip... strange, unwrapped candy)?

I'm poor.

It's funny.

I made myself sad.

Izz
01-03-2012, 09:07 AM
I look forward to patronizing you, seeing what stories your magazine offers. Are the prices negotiable? How's everything in my pocket at this moment (lint, paperclip... strange, unwrapped candy)?

I'm poor.

It's funny.

I made myself sad.Aww! :Hug2:

The price per issue is $2.99 (US), which i reckon is pretty good for 18 stories and poems (that's about 17 cents per story or poem :D) . We have ebooks formatted for Kindles, epub readers and in .pdf. Here's our shop (http://www.cometsandcriminals.com/shop/), where you can buy all three formats, and here's a link to the Amazon page for issue #2 (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006RKWH0S), and a link to the Smashwords page (http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/118457) for the epub version that will soon be available at Barnes and Noble, Apple, etc (i forgot to factor in the wait time for Smashwords to approve a book for their premium catalog when releasing issue #2; because i live in NZ and don't have a US social security number i can't upload directly to Barnes and Noble myself).

However, if you can't afford to purchase the zine, that's all good because we release most of the stories from each issue for free on the site over the course of the quarter. Issue #1 has been released in its entirety already, so there's plenty of reading right there! :)

Nexus
01-03-2012, 09:48 AM
I think I can afford that.

Got two issues of Asimov to catch up on; then I might just partake.

blacbird
01-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Just a pass-along, which I feel slightly embarrassed to post. But I don't get much opportunity to make such an announcement: I have a story in Issue #2 of C&C.

caw

Izz
01-04-2012, 01:44 PM
And if that's not reason enough to buy issue #2, i don't know what is!

Apsu
01-04-2012, 11:50 PM
Just a pass-along, which I feel slightly embarrassed to post. But I don't get much opportunity to make such an announcement: I have a story in Issue #2 of C&C.

caw

Congratulations. That's awesome.

Izz
03-11-2012, 06:56 AM
Just a quick note that we'll be temporarily closing to fiction subs a week from today. So, if you have a story you think might be a good fit for our next issue (due out May 1), best send it in quick smart :)

Poets, we're already closed to poetry subs.

Izz
03-19-2012, 01:39 AM
We're now closed to all subs. When we reopen an announcement will be posted here, as well as on Facebook, Twitter and our website.

Izz
09-30-2013, 10:44 AM
Comets and Criminals is back open! Except now we're a reprint only market :)

Full revised guidelines here (http://www.cometsandcriminals.com/?page_id=33), but the short of it is:

We want fantastic stories (that have already been published) of no more than 10,000 words in the Science Fiction, Crime and Mystery, Adventure, Historical, and Western genres. We are particularly interested in stories that cross the boundaries of the genres mentioned. We pay a flat rate of $25 (US) for the nonexclusive rights to showcase the story on our front page for one month, and then to archive indefinitely.

The new incarnation will be going live Jan 1, 2014, but we're open for submissions now.

MumblingSage
10-01-2013, 01:21 AM
Aw, sweet, I just realized I had a bunch of stories that need reprinting!