Self-ePublishing, EDITING & Covers, etc...

Book Graphics

A busy author's best friend!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookgraphics.wordpress.com
Hi y'all!

As a journalist making the leap into creative writing, I'm very interested in ePublishing and particularly self-ePublishing. So, I'll probably lurk around this category a lot!

I have three WIPs - two Romantic Suspense novels and a cookbook (yes, I'm a masochist) - and I'm seriously considering self-publishing in eFormat for all three of them.

So, as a former newspaper and magazine editor, I'm pretty darned good at turning out super clean copy. If I self-publish, does this mean I don't need an editor to 'polish' my work? I tend to think it does not. I know from long experience as an editor myself that writers tend to NOT catch their own mistakes - even if they're just typos (or worse - spell check corrections gone kinky). And the issue of catching plot miscues and character development issues is a concern to me as well. BUT, what is really giving me FITS is dialogue! Journalists do NOT write dialogue, so I have zero experience in this area. So, even if I self-publish, I will eventually need an experienced editor to cover my back on these issues. WHERE DO I FIND SUCH A CREATURE? Oh, and how much is this likely to dent my bank account?

On to FUN STUFF! At the urging of some author pals for whom I designed custom eBook covers, I've just launched a design service specifically for authors (traditional & eBook covers, pre-made covers, promotional materials, ads, etc). It's called Book Graphics and you're invited to check out some of my work:

Custom eBook Cover Samples

Pre-made Covers

Looking forward to getting to know y'all (yes, that's a SOUTHERN drawl) and reading your response to this post. I'm hoping for LOTS of ideas and suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Dawn

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
As a journalist, you may produce clean copy, but writing for facts is far different than writing fictional work. There is so much more to telling a good story than just clean copy, such as pacing, plotting, sub plots, story and character consistency, motivation and response units, and the dialogue also has to flow well enough to be believable and not trip readers up.

IMHO, very few writers could not improve from another set eyes, especially if that set of eyes is a professional editor. Your readers will thank you for it.

As for cover art, there are some very good free lance artist, but cover design is a speciality that includes the art layout, title placement, etc.

No matter how you go, you have to be realistic about any investment/cost you take on and if it will earn back. Sadly, most self published authors only sell a few hundred copies. For every Amanda Hocking there is 10,000 nobody's that never sell more than a handful of books.

I also might add, in figuring cost, most writers forget, or just don't care about their time. Ask yourself, what is your time worth? Price your self published work too low and you cheapen your worth. Price to high and you may price yourself out of a sale.

Good luck with your writing...

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I'm a freelance copyeditor, and I've just made the decision to self-publish some of my work. I won't be hiring an editor (at least for my first release). The manuscript has been beta-read and edited by me. I've combed through it a hundred times for errors, and I won't be surprised if a few still slip by, but then I found an average of three obvious errors per chapter in the last traditionally published best-seller I read. That was an unusually terrible error rate though. Usually I find 4-10 in the entire traditionally published book, just during casual reading.

So . . . my point is, no book is perfect. Have high standards and do the best you can within an appropriate budget for the project.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
So, as a former newspaper and magazine editor, I'm pretty darned good at turning out super clean copy. If I self-publish, does this mean I don't need an editor to 'polish' my work? I tend to think it does not. I know from long experience as an editor myself that writers tend to NOT catch their own mistakes - even if they're just typos (or worse - spell check corrections gone kinky). And the issue of catching plot miscues and character development issues is a concern to me as well.

Dawn

I'm a freelance copyeditor, and I've just made the decision to self-publish some of my work. I won't be hiring an editor (at least for my first release). The manuscript has been beta-read and edited by me. I've combed through it a hundred times for errors, and I won't be surprised if a few still slip by, but then I found an average of three obvious errors per chapter in the last traditionally published best-seller I read.

Copyediting is a final sweep (before proofreading, of course). The main editing work is done first, and involves far more than checking for continuity, spelling, punctuation, etc.

Many of the books I've reviewed (see the link in my signature) are relatively clean from errors which would be picked up by a good copy editor: but they're full of other problems which a good editor would have addressed.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Since I guess it needs to be said, don't spam folks' threads.

Book Graphics

A busy author's best friend!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookgraphics.wordpress.com
Covers for eBooks & Paperbacks

Hi folks!

I see a lot of posts about the search for eCovers so I thought I'd post an open invitation to visit my site and check out my cover samples. The URL for the home page is http://bookgraphics.wordpress.com/

You will find samples of my custom eBook covers and custom Paperback covers, as well as a large selection of Pre-Made eBook covers suitable for: Romance novels (historical & contemporary); Westerns; Horror; Mystery; Fantasy; Paranormal; Adventure/Action; Steampunk; YA; Children's; Non-Fiction; and more!

Enjoy browsing, and don't forget to snag my recipe for GINGERBREAD COFFEE on the home page :)

Book Graphics

p.s. I offer a special deal for authors wanting both an eBook cover and Paperback cover based on the same design.

copper-lady-web

marshallpaperbackwebsmall

spells-web

pay-websmall

wishes-websmall