Ventriloquism

ChristyM

Registered
Reaction score
I'd love some advice from anyone with experience with ventriloquism (amateur, professional, fan - all is good!). I have a minor character who uses ventriloquism to further the plot (although HE doesn't know that :)

From what I have read, a lot of the "magic" of ventriloquism is distraction, having your audience look at an object instead of you. Did I understand that correctly?

Have you ever used ventriloquism to fool with some friends (who were not prepared for it), and, if so, what and how did you do it?

Finally, is there such a thing as a "big voice" where you gain clarity and volume in your ventriloquism (I know when I try it, I just get a mumble), and can you train yourself to do that?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect you could find some videos on YouTube about how to do ventriloquism. They might answer some of your questions.

ChristyM

Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes, lots of information on the web is available, but that is the problem. It is either in the "you can do it!" or "wow, look at the magic" (if there are others, I would love links). What I haven't found are personal stories of ventriloquists (especially amateur) and *how* they used it to fool friends (and if it worked). Sorry if I was unclear in the first post. I was just hoping to find someone with some personal experience.

I just feel like my character is either using ventriloquism in the way that the "you can do it!" sites promise (and I'm worried it isn't realistic), or that I will underestimate what he can do with it (he's a kid).

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
Read up on Vaudeville. Ventriloquism was used a lot then, and there was an extremely famous person named Edgar Bergen from that time. Might be a biography on him that would give you something of what you're looking for.

And don't forget to hit the encylopedia, and possibly the Encyclopedia of Religion. These are always great general resources and if there's a topic, it might have a bibliography of resources at the end.

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
I used to do magic and ventriloquism at kids parties. I'm not sure how you could use it to fool anybody; you're not actually throwing your voice. People will automatically look at whatever appears to be doing the speaking; you move the dummy's mouth at the same time as speaking and it appears that the dummy is making the noise, but anybody paying attention will know that you noise is really coming from you. If you start talking without moving your lips and there's no dummy etc. to provide the misdirection then you're just going to be talking without moving your lips, possibly in a silly voice. Nobody would be fooled.

As I say, though, I'm not sure exactly what you're asking without more details.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to be a ventriloquist when I was a kid. I tried to teach myself to talk without moving my lips. I wasn't very successful, but I didn't have the internet either. Good luck.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to say ventriloquist when I was a kid . . . for some reason it was one of those words that was a tongue-twister for me when I was eight. It kept coming out "ventwilokist". ;-)

ChristyM

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

@Pangalatic- your response was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much!