PDA

View Full Version : One Step at a Time (experimental goal-setting thread)

Good Word
06-18-2011, 07:24 PM
Up for an experiment?

If you are like me, you have multiple aspirations, but get overwhelmed easily. You also have competing commitments and juggle many activities--work, family, exercise, writing, managing technology, and, uh, sleeping, and so on (and on and on).

This is a baby steps thread--for writing or writing-related goals (which may include starting a blog, website, marketing, querying, making a beautiful and functional writing space, etc).

This thread is based on the idea that achieving a goal is done by keeping your eye on the prize and chunking things down into incremental steps. (Okay, that's not the best sentence structure, but you get it, right?)

State your smallish goal and completion date (one day, three days or a week, as examples). Post as you like on progress, and come back on your completion date and check in.

I want to do this as an experiment for a few weeks, and see what's working for people and refine as we go.

For example, my clients and business coach have been ribbing me about my lack of blog/social media. I get overwhelmed, so do nothing. In the next week, I am going to spend 2 hours on readying a business/fan page (notice I didn't say launch it--but who knows, it could happen).

What incremental step will serve your higher aspiration--
to write a certain number of words today? Draft a chapter by next week? Write a blog post by Tuesday? Start a query letter or book marketing plan?

State it and come play. :Sun:

Good Word
06-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Now, now. Don't everyone pile on all at once! I won't know what to do!

Phaeal
06-20-2011, 06:29 PM
Have new book to agent by the end of July, latest.

Okay, that's not a TINY step, but I'm sticking to it. ;)

Anne Lyle
06-20-2011, 09:16 PM
I use the weekly goals forum on Forward Motion (http://www.fmwriters.com), and have done for years, so I don't plan to post here as well - but it's a good idea. I usually set a mix of a) things I need to get done and b) things I'd like to get done. That way I don't get too stressed if the week goes pear-shaped!

heyjude
06-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Good Word, what a great idea! I'm between books at the moment, so I'm going to set a goal of at least one hour this week devoted to my website. :Sun:

Good luck to everyone else and their goals!

Good Word
06-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Have new book to agent by the end of July, latest.

Okay, that's not a TINY step, but I'm sticking to it. ;)

You're right--that's a big step. But there are small steps on the way. Hope you make every one of them... Thanks for jumping in, Phaeal!

Good Word
06-21-2011, 08:09 PM
Good Word, what a great idea! I'm between books at the moment, so I'm going to set a goal of at least one hour this week devoted to my website. :Sun:

Good luck to everyone else and their goals!

Okay, Mama Jude. I'm looking forward to seeing your updated site!

heyjude
06-23-2011, 02:38 AM
Woot! I carved out an hour today and worked hard on the website. Not only that, I took it seriously, not just messing around. Got a fair amount of progress made. I wouldn't have, if not for this thread. Thanks, Good Word. :Sun:

Next week I'll put another hour in. Hey, it all might add up to something, huh?