Bangkok Fiction

stray

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jamesnewmanfiction.blogspot.com
Anyone here writing from the Far East? There seems to be a writers colony here in Bangkok. Many writers printing books and having those books put on the shelves of bookstores. I really think there is not a better place to write than Bangkok. Cheap to live here, writers can work as English teachers whilst developing their craft.

On a different train of thought. I stumbled upon this today. Should make you smile.

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2xUam5

Sharii

I draw comics, lots of comics.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sharii.com
Bangkok is a great place to be, if you're white and/or rich.

hoyateach

Dancing with limbo sticks
Registered
Reaction score
I'm Japanese on my mother's side. While I lived in Tokyo for several years as a teenager, my command of the language isn't what I'd like it to be. Never been to Bangkok but I'd love to go someday. John Burdett sure makes it sound interesting. :D

Sharii

I draw comics, lots of comics.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sharii.com
Oh come on Sharii, it's not all that bad.

I've known white rich people who are as misrable as hell. I know Thai buddhist monks who are happy without money.

Haha, you're right I was being a bit flippant. *shame*

But from my point of view, it isn't nearly as awesome as you made it sound to be, really. But I think, as advertisement often says, 'your result may vary'.

akaSylvia

Doesn't Bite
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.intrigue.co.uk
Last edited:

stray

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jamesnewmanfiction.blogspot.com
Yes, its an interesting concept and one that artist Chris Coles (who painted the cover of my first novel) is really pushing. Coles' book navigating the Bangkok noir, with a foreword by Christopher G. Moore, is a great introduction into the movement.