Should I include this as a publishing credit?

JuliaH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kazarafromtheinternet.blogspot.com
Sorry if this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find a situation just like mine, and figured I'd ask.

I'm editing my first novel, and starting to think about the query letter. I've never had anything published in print, but for the past several months I've been writing articles for an online media website. I get paid for them, not much but it usually comes out to about 2 or 4 cents a word. The website also recently got bought by a major media conglomerate, which I think it looks even more legit.

Should I mention this in my query letter? I've read conflicting things about what credits to put in a query, ranging from include everything to only include book publishing credits.

Thanks!

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nah. But you don't need it. What you need is a great book, and a great query. A credit like that wouldn't make much difference either way, regardless. Nothing to hide, but nothing to add to your query for a novel.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
No, only include relevant published work in the same genre with large readership. It sounds like you're on an site that gets a lot of hits, but articles, even fictional short stories are a different animal from both fiction and non-fiction books. If you include something trivial it will only punctuate how little experience you have (which isn't unexpected for a first timer.)

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would mention it, and I have been encouraged to do so by people here on AW. Somebody else paid to have your work, therefore it counts, even though in my case I wasn't paid per article, but produced them in the course of my employment. Non-paying pubs don't count. It's not a fiction credit, so I would make that clear.

In my queries, I say something like: "My fiction credits include stories published in [paying market 1] and [paying market 2]. In addition, I have [number] of scientific articles in scholarly, trade, and popular journals." Perhaps the non-fic credits don't impress them much, but it won't make them turn me down, either.

stray

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jamesnewmanfiction.blogspot.com
If the query and the work is good enough then it shouldn't matter what you add as former publications. However, if you add stuff that isn't relavent you may come across as ameteurish, but agents like that if the work is good enough to attract their critical eye...

fourlittlebees

chief sitter on people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.about.me
No. It's irrelevant, and if it's a content mill, it may actually count against you. I freelanced for ten years before taking my current job, and I merely note that I'm a full-time copy editor and former freelance writer and editor. If an agent is curious, he or she can certainly Google my name and find my writing credits, but they have nothing to do with writing fiction.

JuliaH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kazarafromtheinternet.blogspot.com
Thanks for the advice! It's not a content mill, but I think I'll probably still leave it off. I can use that space to make my book sound even more awesome.

Maybe if I get a lot of rejections I'll try throwing it in there to see if it gets better responses, but I'll start off not mentioning it.

Thanks again!

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
The only reason to include something that isn't related to fiction is if you really could make a strong argument that your audience will follow you and buy your book (and the audience is substantial). In this instance, I'm not sure that's the case.

At the same time, looking like an amateur isn't cause for auto-reject if the rest of the query is good. :) It's not the end-all-be-all. Just like no one is going to go, "Wow, this book sounds amazing but the author has no prior writing credits--reject" no one is going to go, "Wow this book sounds amazing but the author included a credit that's meaningless--reject." It's the "book sounds amazing" part that matters. :D