PDA

View Full Version : What's the most weight you've ever lost?

Lantern Jack
11-04-2005, 10:11 AM
As a lesson in humility, I've decided to engender a thread where I, at 4'10 and 105 pounds, have no chance in coming out tops. Also, I thought it would be nice to have something which is all-inclusive and gender-blind. None of those chick lit chick threads: "So, how many different ways would you do it with Robert Kincaid in The Bridges of Madison County?" or guy threads: "So, how many different ways would you do it with Francesca in The Bridges of Madison County?" This is for everybody. And to get that big, ole lard boulder spinning, I will tell you, truly, the most weight I've ever lost.

And, please, keep your titters politely smothered, thank you.

95 pounds

P.S. I'll post before & after pictures tomorrow...

Optimus
11-04-2005, 10:22 AM
Most weight I've ever lost was 10 pounds, but only because I got really sick for two weeks. I'm currently trying to lose 15 pounds, not that I probably need to, but I'd like to tone up a little more.

And...dude...no straight guy has read or seen "Bridges of Madison County." At least not any who will admit to it.

Lantern Jack
11-04-2005, 10:27 AM
I can stretch my skin out six inches from my body now. Wanna see?

Tiaga
11-04-2005, 10:46 AM
195 LBS.

My #2 son just moved to his own place! sorry

writerterri
11-04-2005, 11:30 AM
I lost 230 pounds over night when I kicked him to the curb.

Carole
11-04-2005, 03:36 PM
No one I know now believes me, so I'll give you a before shot. I was a ginormous porker. This photo was taken not long after I left the ex-jerk. Please forgive the hideous RED outfit complete with Christmas socks. It was a christmas gift from mom and I had to wear it at least once...in her presence.

I lost 50 pounds about 4 years ago which is the most I have ever lost.

Carole
11-04-2005, 03:38 PM
holy cow. That shocking, even to me. I had forgotten just what I looked like. Amazing what a miserable, stressful life can do to a person, and it's also amazing what losing that stress and having a happy life can do.

Carole
11-04-2005, 04:13 PM
~laughing~ That's so funny. What's funnier is that I eat a lot more now than I did back then. I was just miserable and stressed out. Hubby has never cared a bit about my weight. He's an odd person, but he is genuine. I asked him several years after we get together what he thought the first time he saw me in person (we met online and talked on the phone...exchanged photos and things like that) He told me that I was a little bigger than he expected but much prettier than he had hoped. He's a neat guy. After I lost the weight I asked him if he was more attracted to me. He said that he was, but not for the reasons I thought. He said that I was more attractive because I had self confidence and I smiled more often.

Hubby is like you. He is thin. And tall. He says that he has to run around in the shower just to get wet. I brought home skim milk once and when he opened the fridge he said, "My God, woman! Are you tryin to kill me?"

I'm curious about something. Is your wife curvy? (I don't mean fat, just curvy...not skinny) Anton LaVey said once that more often than not, opposites really do attract. Thin men will eventually gravitate to curvy women and tiny women will gravitate toward burly men. Supposedly his theory was that it was "nature's way" of strengthing the human race.

aruna
11-04-2005, 04:30 PM
I was a fat teenager. Boys used to cal me the "brown bomber". Don't know how much I weighed, but at 18-19 I was pretty porky. I lost it when I started practicing Yoga; it just melted away in a matter of weeks.

After I had children I began to slowly put on weight again, and it became a middle-age spread that wouldn't go away. I don't overeat; in fact, I eat very little, but even if I eat nothing, I don't lose weight, So it's a metabolic problem. About two years ago I read that coconut oil stimulated the metabolism and almost every other kind of oil I was using (sunflower etc) slows it down. So I switched oiks; chucked out all polyunsaturated - and smothered my food in coocnut oil. My energy went WAY up and I lost 20 pounds within three weeks; my daughter, who also had weight problems, lost ten pounds on the same diet. I changed very little esle except the oils I was using. Since then I've kept the weight off.
Now let's see if I can post a photo of me two years ago:

Doesn't work, I'll have to rezise the photo.

LloydBrown
11-04-2005, 04:38 PM
Lost 43 pounds. Switched from Coke to Diet Coke.

Carole
11-04-2005, 04:48 PM
even if I eat nothing, I don't lose weight, So it's a metabolic problem.
That's normal. If you don't eat, your body goes into survival mode and conserves everything. My mom will call me sometimes to tell me how proud of herself she is for not eating anything but a cracker or something one day. I keep trying to tell her that she'll ruin her metabolism if she doesn't eat, but she doesn't listen. Every time a person tries to diet by extremely limiting their food, they'll hurt their metabolism more and more, making it harder each time they try to diet. Weight does eventually come off, but it's more muscle than fat. When weight comes back, that person just has a lot more fat than before and a lot less lean muscle tissue. I keep trying to tell mom that that is why she just keeps getting squishier and squishier even if she levels off back at the same weight. She's lost an awful lot of muscle over the years from trying to starve herself thin and her metabolism is practically nil.

Hannah
11-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Lost 43 pounds. Switched from Coke to Diet Coke.

Me too. I lost 10 pounds and two dress sizes when I switched to Diet Coke almost eight years ago.

eldragon
11-04-2005, 07:11 PM
I've never really been too overweight. After I had my last daughter, I had a gut that didnt' go away as fast - I guess because I was 33 when I had her. But, protruding stomachs run in my family.....amongst women, anyway.

I have never had a flat stomach, ever.

I am unhappy with my figure currently. I think I spread a bit after eating all the salty crap we had to consume after katrina. Not one to savor canned goods and MRE"s, I actually got sick.

The most weight I ever lost, was probaby about 30 lbs after having Nina. Between Nursing and regular living .......I guess most of it came off naturally.

Still, I have worked out on and off in my life ........I just can't stick to the routine of it.

Pat~
11-04-2005, 07:53 PM
About 40 pounds, 6 years ago. But no pictures; it wasn't pretty. (I was clinically depressed and anorexic.) I've gained back about half of that and look and feel healthy again.

Oh, and to support Carole's theory, my hubby is 6'3" and twice my weight. (My high school sweetie was also a big guy.)

Jaycinth
11-04-2005, 08:30 PM
I lost 65lbs between Nov 1999 and Nov 2000.

I've been stressing recently and I've gained back 10 of them.

The local HS is renovating now and the track is torn up so I haven't been walking, either.

I've GOT to stop cooking (Comfort Foods) and start cooking (Balanced foods)
HAH! who am I kidding!!!

Maryn
11-04-2005, 08:41 PM
I lost 85 after The Kid was born. Being pregnant, with a big baby to boot, made me hungry! My OB, who wore about a size 2, scolded me for gaining 12 pounds in one month.

Recently my HMO reassigned doctors and I'm her patient again. She's put on weight, probably wears a 12. I bite my tongue.

Maryn, with no plans for additional 10 pounds-plus babies

Carole
11-04-2005, 08:47 PM
I've been stressing recently and I've gained back 10 of them.

Me Too, Jay. 10 fat pounds of glob on my butt and thighs. It always goes there first (WHY, oh WHY not the boobs??) With all the move we (I) Went through in Late August/September and not finding a job for over a month afterward, I was hugely depressed. I'm just now starting to come out of it.

I started Atkins Monday (I think it was Monday). The week before, I did a liquid fast. The jeans are losening up again.

Jaycinth
11-04-2005, 09:01 PM
Mine all be belly fat. That means it is ALL stress fat.( What was the name of that belly dance video?)

Where's my chocolate, and there had BETTER be sugar in it!

Shwebb
11-04-2005, 09:16 PM
I've always had a weight problem. My brother, never. We'd eat the same foods, and he was always skinny. (Okay, now that he's almost forty, he has to watch what he eats. I struggle to control my satisfaction with that!)

The most I've ever lost is 95 pounds, with the help of a doctor. And manic exercising. When I didn't have the doctor's assistance, I went through a time of working out six days per week--weights and aerobics--and ate maybe once each day. My body actually started shutting down! Every time I'd sit down I'd get so cold I had to use an electric blanket to warm up, and then I'd fall asleep.

I really noticed that when you are thinner, people treat you differently. Freaked me out a little! They move closer to you, they feel freer to touch your shoulder, they're also nicer.

When you're heavy, you become rather more invisible, as if that's possible! But yeah, you get ignored.

After losing my weight, I went through a horrible debilitating depression, and started taking meds, some of which were inappropriate--but try telling the dr. that. The weight started coming back on. . .

Now two kids later and one on the way--I'm looking forward to getting back on my treadmill and trying to get some of the weight I lost a few years ago back off.

Since I've done it once before, I know I can do it again!

aruna
11-04-2005, 09:17 PM
Every time a person tries to diet by extremely limiting their food, they'll hurt their metabolism more and more, making it harder each time they try to diet. Weight does eventually come off, but it's more muscle than fat. When weight comes back, that person just has a lot more fat than before and a lot less lean muscle tissue. I keep trying to tell mom that that is why she just keeps getting squishier and squishier even if she levels off back at the same weight. She's lost an awful lot of muscle over the years from trying to starve herself thin and her metabolism is practically nil.

The thing is, I wasn't dieting, or specifically trying to lose weight. I don't have a big appetite, never overeat, and the food I most like isn't fattening. It was frustrating, because I was on a naturally healthy diet for years, lots of fruit and vegetable, whole grain everything, and still my weight just kept going up,. I was never a yo-yo dieter, and never counted calories.
It was the wring fats that was making me put on weight, and changing to better fats helped me lose it.

Carole
11-04-2005, 09:22 PM
aHA! I got ya. I didn't read your post correctly the first time (I was still half asleep, though *grin*) Mine was stress and not eating.

underthecity
11-04-2005, 10:00 PM
This post isn't about me, it's about my wife (who will kill me if she finds out I posted this).

We've been married over nine years, and she has weighed about 250 for most of it. It hasn't really bothered me because I think she's beautiful and sexy no matter what she weighs. But it has always bothered her. She had moderate success with Weight Watchers, but ended up not being able to keep it up.

This year she tried LA Weight Loss. As a result, as of right now, this week she has lost fifty pounds. She literally works her butt off for it, though. She works out every day or walks on the treadmill. And when she uses the treadmill, she walks at a very fast pace for two miles! I can barely do one mile at a moderate pace.

I will not lie to you, she does do LA Weight Loss's supplements and things. But they're working. AND we are BOTh learning how to eat more healthfully. Ever since she started, we have both made major changes in how we eat. Although she is restricted to certain kinds of foods, there is enough variety built into the program so so that she can have a varied diet. She can only have certain portion sizes and weights, and we are both careful to do exactly what the book says. As a result, she's skinnier, happier, and enjoys the multitudes of positive comments she gets from everybody every day.

Me, I weigh about the same as I ever did: 165. I put on about five pounds since I took a desk job last year (it's all at my gut), but am still skinny at 35.

As an aside about LA Weight Loss, of course I had my convictions when she first signed up (it's expensive, oh yes it is. You pay up front, but that's an incredible motivator right off the bat). But I have never read about LA Weight Loss horror stories and deaths caused by the program. (Remember Phen Phen?)

I also have a lot of respect for ANY organization or person, be it Weight Watchers, LA Weight Loss, Richard Simmons etc., which exists to help people get healthy. I mean, Richard Simmons has made entire life out of it. How cool is that?

allen

ANNIE
11-04-2005, 11:02 PM
I lost 50 LBS two years ago. Inever had a problem witrh my weight until I had my kids. two babies in 2 years did me in. I never had to lose before so I didn't know how to go about it. I joined weight watchers on-line and excercised my butt off- literally! I'm only 5'2" so a little weight goes a long way. So far I have manage to keep it off and am planning on keeping it that way.

Lyra Jean
11-04-2005, 11:20 PM
I lost 85 after The Kid was born. Being pregnant, with a big baby to boot, made me hungry! My OB, who wore about a size 2, scolded me for gaining 12 pounds in one month.

Pardon my ignorance but aren't you supposed to gain weight if you are pregnant? I thought that was a healthy thing to do. I don't have children but that's what I heard.

ChunkyC
11-04-2005, 11:25 PM
40 pounds this year, since February. I've been stuck at the same weight for a few months now since losing that bit. I want to lose another 40, but I'm not going to drive myself insane doing it. If it takes until next summer, so be it. The point is to get there.

Maryn
11-04-2005, 11:49 PM
Gee, is it too late for a November "Get Healthy" thread?

Maryn, trying

mkcbunny
11-05-2005, 12:56 AM
My husband has been up and down with his weight for years, but he's always done well at Weight Watchers. A couple of years ago, he joined the gym and between the two of them, he lost about 50 lbs.

I've got a pretty good metabolism, so I don't have much of a problem now, but when I was in fourth and fifth grade, I was 4'10" tall and weighed 136. That's a bit over my weight now, at 5'4", and quite a bit of poundage for a little girl. I will never forget my great aunt saying to me then, "You're fat, and you're always going to be fat. You'd better get used to it." My father was livid and really took her to task for her comment. Everyone in the family loved her dearly, but I never did forgive her for saying that to me.

sassandgroove
11-05-2005, 02:04 AM
I lost 60 pounds from 2001 to 2004. Then I got married. I have gain 30 back. still net loss 30 but not good. When it was 5, 10, even 20 I laughed it off, called it happy fat. But I worked hard to lose it. I've been overweight since I was in 5th grade. We moved and I didn't make friends in the new place and stuck my nose in books and watched tv and ate...

Then I got my act together when I was in my late teens, early twenties, and hovered around 190. Something happened though, something slipped. One day instead of saying to myself when my jeans were tight that I needed to cut back again, I just bought bigger jeans. I woke up one day and found I was 230. What really kicked things into gear though was seeing my mom get sick from diabetes and complications from that and the medication. I moved home when Iw as 25, so thankfully I was able to help take care of her, she is much better now, but that is what really got me. Gaining weight wasn't a deterrent to me, but the thought that what she was going through would happen to me to woke me up.

Now even with the 30 pounds I gained back, I am in better shape than I ever was, I excercise every weekday morning, and when I keep a food diary, I loose weight. SO I guess I better get that diary out, huh?

To Rosemary--- I've never been pregnant either, but I know a lot of women (not necessarily the ones here...) take pregnancy as an excuse to eat and gain more than they should. A woman should only gain a little weight(I can't remember the amount), the baby should be doing most of the growing. I learned that in college, in a child development class. And also, even if a woman gained a healthy amount of weight, I think most of them would want to get back to how they were before.

Shwebb
11-05-2005, 02:08 AM
I never really gain much weight when I'm pregnant. It's AFTER. I've nursed both my kids, and I've heard people say it's easy to lose weight if you're nursing. But they don't tell you what an appetite nursing gives you!

And having a newborn is so fatiguing, I know I've been guilty of eating just to stay awake to take care of the kids.

William Haskins
11-05-2005, 02:11 AM
462 pounds... on a speedball binge.

eldragon
11-05-2005, 08:04 AM
To Rosemary--- I've never been pregnant either, but I know a lot of women (not necessarily the ones here...) take pregnancy as an excuse to eat and gain more than they should. A woman should only gain a little weight(I can't remember the amount), the baby should be doing most of the growing. I learned that in college, in a child development class. And also, even if a woman gained a healthy amount of weight, I think most of them would want to get back to how they were before.

the recommended weight gain during pregnancy changes all the time. it used to be, you were eating for two. Then, doctors recommended you gain a mere 15 lbs. and yelled at you for every pound over that. Now, it's back to something more normal, like 25 or even 30 llbs.

When I had my first child, at 25, the weight came off quickly. I had gained about 30 lbs & my daughter weighed 4.3 lbs.
With my second pregnancy, at 33, I gained about 40 lbs ..........the baby weighed 7.3 lbs and I nursed her. The age difference, to me, is what made the weigth loss harder. Plus, I had been larger in the stomach with her. I never had stretch marks, but stretched muscles and skin don't spring back into place. Add two c-sections and I'll never have a flat stomach unless I have surgery.

And, it would be a shame to feel like I had to have a doctor slice away my battle scars from childbirth.

Lantern Jack
11-05-2005, 08:16 AM
I'm one of those people whose metabolism is like that gas they found roaming some deep-space galaxy at two and-a-half times the speed of light, and I eat nothing but carbs all the time! My photonic metabolic rate almost makes up for the fact that I was born a scrawny, little dwarf who'd hardly come up to Patricia Heaton's chin.

God, she's so tiny!

Lyra Jean
11-05-2005, 11:40 AM
I'm 4'10" I way between 98 and 104 pounds. For a long time I was trying to gain so I could donate blood. Now I don't worry about it. It made people mad when I mentioned it but they were girls skinny as toothpicks complaining how fat they were.

scfirenice
11-05-2005, 11:19 PM
I've always been about 135-138 pounds. At 5-6 I think that's about right for me, I have very small bones. I lost 30 pounds after I had my daughter, I had gained 29. That's the most I ever lost.

jdkiggins
11-05-2005, 11:24 PM
53 pounds, from a whopping 145 pounds to 92.

Carole
11-05-2005, 11:40 PM
My husband has been up and down with his weight for years, but he's always done well at Weight Watchers. A couple of years ago, he joined the gym and between the two of them, he lost about 50 lbs.

You know, I am beginning to wonder about weight watchers. I can't count how many people have that same story from Weight watchers. *Every time I go on it, I lose weight." I don't know. Something just seems odd about it. My sister has done weight watchers countless times and is doing it again. I am beginning to think weight watchers is the ultimate yo yo dieters plan. I know that sounds mean, but how many ppl who have done it have been able to naturally keep it off as opposed to the ones who haven't? On the flip side, most of the people I know who have done a low carb dfiet have kept most if not all of it off for years, myself included. I just gained this 10 pounds within the past month or so (Stress, depression, lethargy, boredom) and I've had that 50 off for years.

mkcbunny
11-05-2005, 11:58 PM
You know, I am beginning to wonder about weight watchers. I can't count how many people have that same story from Weight watchers. *Every time I go on it, I lose weight." I don't know. Something just seems odd about it. My sister has done weight watchers countless times and is doing it again. I am beginning to think weight watchers is the ultimate yo yo dieters plan. I know that sounds mean, but how many ppl who have done it have been able to naturally keep it off as opposed to the ones who haven't? On the flip side, most of the people I know who have done a low carb dfiet have kept most if not all of it off for years, myself included. I just gained this 10 pounds within the past month or so (Stress, depression, lethargy, boredom) and I've had that 50 off for years.
Well, for my husband, having WW makes him more accountable and disciplined. Having to weigh-in every week gives him more of an incentive. It's less about the particular plan than about making his weight-loss intentions public. He does fine for a year or more afterward, but he's a compulsive eater, so inevitably, he starts to slide and gain it back, despite daily exercise and general good health and habits. Going to WW keeps him monitoring his food intake. Some people need that and can't do it "naturally." Nothing is right for everyone, but it does seem to help him.

A friend of ours is constantly putting WW down, but if it works for someone, I don't see the point of saying to that person that it's a bad thing.

Carole
11-06-2005, 12:06 AM
I just dont know. I wasn't necessarily putting weight watchers down, or at least I didn't mean for it to come out that way. I'm mostly wondering why so many have to keep going back time after time because their weight always comes back, many time with more. So many people absolutely destroy their metabolsim that way. Every time it gets harder and harder and that just shouldn't be the case. I dunno. Just rambling at this point, I guess.

mkcbunny
11-06-2005, 12:23 AM
I just dont know. I wasn't necessarily putting weight watchers down, or at least I didn't mean for it to come out that way. I'm mostly wondering why so many have to keep going back time after time because their weight always comes back, many time with more. So many people absolutely destroy their metabolsim that way. Every time it gets harder and harder and that just shouldn't be the case. I dunno. Just rambling at this point, I guess.
I can really only speak for my husband, but he can't be alone. He needs the public routine to keep him on track. He doesn't eat their food, he just counts points. But it could be any "diet," counting points or calories, eliminating carbs, etc. For him, it's about a regular routine of monitoring his food intake, and he's inspired to do that when he has to go get on a scale in public every week. Likewise, when he loses weight, and is recognized by the group, it's good for his self-image. And he needs that support, as he has a negative body image that he struggles with all the time, even when he's been at his lowest weight. Fluxuating is bad, I agree. He says that people tend to drop out when they reach their goal, when they should probably keep going because they need the routine to keep it off. But many people aren't like that; once they hit their weight-loss target, they think they don't need to keep going every week. And for some people, that's not realistic. He says this about himself, and then he still stops going. And he's planning to return because he knows he needs it to stay disciplined.

aspier
11-06-2005, 12:39 AM
To loose weight - an enormous amount of kilo's - is dangerous and when its lost in too short a time it is of no advance anyway because much of dieting has to do with the developement of healthy habit forming eating habits. (Junk is out) Its not discipline I am refering to but the development of 'natural wanting' if there's such a thing. Here is a diet I wrote that will set you off on developing a natural tendency for the 'natural' (the healthy - your body knows what it wants anyway). It is NOT a diet to become 'thinner'. It is one for revitalising your metabolic system. But it does have the effect that you loose +10 kg in ten days and never gain it back in 2 years. You can do it only once and please read the disclaimer before you embark on it.

Here = http://users.skynet.be/spier/docfiles/asdocdiet.doc

There's also links on it to check it out.

aspier

Sarita
11-06-2005, 05:14 AM
15 pounds, on my honeymoon. I lost about 5 lbs before the wedding because my mom was stressing me out with the guest list. Then I got really sick on the honeymoon and spent the whole time in the hospital somewhere on the coast of Florida. I didn't eat for 5 days and I dropped down to 110 lbs and size 4 (at 5'10", I looked like I was going to die.)

WVWriterGirl
11-06-2005, 09:12 AM
Right now, I'm 5'8", and I weigh approximately 275 pounds. I've been heavier, and in my high school days, I was much lighter - around 145 pounds.

The most weight I've ever lost is DURING my pregnancy. I had gestational diabetes, and wore my regular bluejeans until I hit my 8th month. I took insulin shots 2 times a day, ate no sugar or starches (well, I think I had chocolate 2 times in nine months) and lost 35 pounds while I was pregnant. I was a svelte 235 when my baby was born.

Three years later, and it's back up. I've tried every diet known to man, and nothing works. Adkins/lo carb doesn't even work any more. I believe the diabetes has come back, and the only thing that will make it go away is a weight loss. At this point, I've been considering surgical intervention, but I can't find a reputable surgeon in the area.

No one prepares you for life as a fat person. When you grow up with a reasonably nice figure, you don't ever think that will change. I've stood in a store, next to the dressing rooms for fifteen minutes before, waiting for someone to ask if I needed help. The clerks just busily attend to other, thinner customers. That particular time, I dropped my armload of clothes in the floor and walked out, never to shop there again. It's true, fat people sort of fade into the background.

Sorry, ya'll, weight's a touchy thing for me. I hate being fat, and hate not being able to fix it even more.

aruna
11-06-2005, 10:58 AM
Adkins/lo carb doesn't even work any more. I believe the diabetes has come back, and the only thing that will make it go away is a weight loss. At this point, I've been considering surgical intervention, but I can't find a reputable surgeon in the area.

Have you tried replacing your fats? The main problem with Atkins and most low-carb diets is that they don't address the problen of healthy/unhealthy fats.

My tip: when you go low-carb try replacing all the fats in your diet with coconut oil. It really does stimulate the metabolism and does not deposit as fat. Most especially, cut out all hydrogenated vegetable oils: read your labels! They are dreadfully fattening, and they are hidden everywhere.

It's just one theory under many, but many experts who recommend coconut oil point out that the rise in obesity in the Western world runs parallel with the replacement of saturated fats with unsaturated. Saturated fats have been demonized for the past few decades; yet they are the most natural fats. Polyunsaturated fats on the other hand are unatural; they are manufactured through a most disgusting process and are more often than not rancid.

People in the tropics used coocnut oil generously for centuries and remain slim, healthy, free from degenerative diseases. There was a myth that coconut oil is unhealthy, but it's just that, a myth, created by modern oil manufaturers so as to sell their own products. If you're interested PM me.

aruna
11-06-2005, 11:03 AM

I agree with you. I believe the best way to lose weight is to change one's eating habits completely so that you actually LIKE what's good for you and doesn't make you fat. Then there's no question of dieting, and no bouncing up and down. I know, though, that some people need the discipline of doing it in a group. Certainly, WW makes a whole lot of profit from yo-yo dieters and they aren't about to change tactics!

Susie
11-07-2005, 10:15 AM
I once lost 50 pounds and I was really nice and thin. I was a size 8 and was quite pleased, but sticking to my diet was way harder than giving up a 3-pack a day habit which I did and haven't smoked in 30 years! I had always been thin 'til I gave up smoking and then I packed on the weight faster than a junk-yard dog gets fleas. It's such a hard thing to diet. Much good luck with it everyone.