What's the most weight you've ever lost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
As a lesson in humility, I've decided to engender a thread where I, at 4'10 and 105 pounds, have no chance in coming out tops. Also, I thought it would be nice to have something which is all-inclusive and gender-blind. None of those chick lit chick threads: "So, how many different ways would you do it with Robert Kincaid in The Bridges of Madison County?" or guy threads: "So, how many different ways would you do it with Francesca in The Bridges of Madison County?" This is for everybody. And to get that big, ole lard boulder spinning, I will tell you, truly, the most weight I've ever lost.

And, please, keep your titters politely smothered, thank you.

95 pounds

P.S. I'll post before & after pictures tomorrow...

Optimus

Banned
Reaction score
Most weight I've ever lost was 10 pounds, but only because I got really sick for two weeks. I'm currently trying to lose 15 pounds, not that I probably need to, but I'd like to tone up a little more.

And...dude...no straight guy has read or seen "Bridges of Madison County." At least not any who will admit to it.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
I can stretch my skin out six inches from my body now. Wanna see?

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
No one I know now believes me, so I'll give you a before shot. I was a ginormous porker. This photo was taken not long after I left the ex-jerk. Please forgive the hideous RED outfit complete with Christmas socks. It was a christmas gift from mom and I had to wear it at least once...in her presence.

I lost 50 pounds about 4 years ago which is the most I have ever lost.

Attachments

• BIG Carole.jpg
    BIG Carole.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 91

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
holy cow. That shocking, even to me. I had forgotten just what I looked like. Amazing what a miserable, stressful life can do to a person, and it's also amazing what losing that stress and having a happy life can do.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
~laughing~ That's so funny. What's funnier is that I eat a lot more now than I did back then. I was just miserable and stressed out. Hubby has never cared a bit about my weight. He's an odd person, but he is genuine. I asked him several years after we get together what he thought the first time he saw me in person (we met online and talked on the phone...exchanged photos and things like that) He told me that I was a little bigger than he expected but much prettier than he had hoped. He's a neat guy. After I lost the weight I asked him if he was more attracted to me. He said that he was, but not for the reasons I thought. He said that I was more attractive because I had self confidence and I smiled more often.

Hubby is like you. He is thin. And tall. He says that he has to run around in the shower just to get wet. I brought home skim milk once and when he opened the fridge he said, "My God, woman! Are you tryin to kill me?"

I'm curious about something. Is your wife curvy? (I don't mean fat, just curvy...not skinny) Anton LaVey said once that more often than not, opposites really do attract. Thin men will eventually gravitate to curvy women and tiny women will gravitate toward burly men. Supposedly his theory was that it was "nature's way" of strengthing the human race.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I was a fat teenager. Boys used to cal me the "brown bomber". Don't know how much I weighed, but at 18-19 I was pretty porky. I lost it when I started practicing Yoga; it just melted away in a matter of weeks.

After I had children I began to slowly put on weight again, and it became a middle-age spread that wouldn't go away. I don't overeat; in fact, I eat very little, but even if I eat nothing, I don't lose weight, So it's a metabolic problem. About two years ago I read that coconut oil stimulated the metabolism and almost every other kind of oil I was using (sunflower etc) slows it down. So I switched oiks; chucked out all polyunsaturated - and smothered my food in coocnut oil. My energy went WAY up and I lost 20 pounds within three weeks; my daughter, who also had weight problems, lost ten pounds on the same diet. I changed very little esle except the oils I was using. Since then I've kept the weight off.
Now let's see if I can post a photo of me two years ago:

Doesn't work, I'll have to rezise the photo.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
aruna said:
even if I eat nothing, I don't lose weight, So it's a metabolic problem.
That's normal. If you don't eat, your body goes into survival mode and conserves everything. My mom will call me sometimes to tell me how proud of herself she is for not eating anything but a cracker or something one day. I keep trying to tell her that she'll ruin her metabolism if she doesn't eat, but she doesn't listen. Every time a person tries to diet by extremely limiting their food, they'll hurt their metabolism more and more, making it harder each time they try to diet. Weight does eventually come off, but it's more muscle than fat. When weight comes back, that person just has a lot more fat than before and a lot less lean muscle tissue. I keep trying to tell mom that that is why she just keeps getting squishier and squishier even if she levels off back at the same weight. She's lost an awful lot of muscle over the years from trying to starve herself thin and her metabolism is practically nil.

Hannah

Registered
Reaction score
LloydBrown said:
Lost 43 pounds. Switched from Coke to Diet Coke.

Me too. I lost 10 pounds and two dress sizes when I switched to Diet Coke almost eight years ago.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
I've never really been too overweight. After I had my last daughter, I had a gut that didnt' go away as fast - I guess because I was 33 when I had her. But, protruding stomachs run in my family.....amongst women, anyway.

I have never had a flat stomach, ever.

I am unhappy with my figure currently. I think I spread a bit after eating all the salty crap we had to consume after katrina. Not one to savor canned goods and MRE"s, I actually got sick.

The most weight I ever lost, was probaby about 30 lbs after having Nina. Between Nursing and regular living .......I guess most of it came off naturally.

Still, I have worked out on and off in my life ........I just can't stick to the routine of it.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
About 40 pounds, 6 years ago. But no pictures; it wasn't pretty. (I was clinically depressed and anorexic.) I've gained back about half of that and look and feel healthy again.

Oh, and to support Carole's theory, my hubby is 6'3" and twice my weight. (My high school sweetie was also a big guy.)

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I lost 65lbs between Nov 1999 and Nov 2000.

I've been stressing recently and I've gained back 10 of them.

The local HS is renovating now and the track is torn up so I haven't been walking, either.

I've GOT to stop cooking (Comfort Foods) and start cooking (Balanced foods)
HAH! who am I kidding!!!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I lost 85 after The Kid was born. Being pregnant, with a big baby to boot, made me hungry! My OB, who wore about a size 2, scolded me for gaining 12 pounds in one month.

Recently my HMO reassigned doctors and I'm her patient again. She's put on weight, probably wears a 12. I bite my tongue.

Maryn, with no plans for additional 10 pounds-plus babies

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Jaycinth said:
I've been stressing recently and I've gained back 10 of them.

Me Too, Jay. 10 fat pounds of glob on my butt and thighs. It always goes there first (WHY, oh WHY not the boobs??) With all the move we (I) Went through in Late August/September and not finding a job for over a month afterward, I was hugely depressed. I'm just now starting to come out of it.

I started Atkins Monday (I think it was Monday). The week before, I did a liquid fast. The jeans are losening up again.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Mine all be belly fat. That means it is ALL stress fat.( What was the name of that belly dance video?)

Where's my chocolate, and there had BETTER be sugar in it!

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've always had a weight problem. My brother, never. We'd eat the same foods, and he was always skinny. (Okay, now that he's almost forty, he has to watch what he eats. I struggle to control my satisfaction with that!)

The most I've ever lost is 95 pounds, with the help of a doctor. And manic exercising. When I didn't have the doctor's assistance, I went through a time of working out six days per week--weights and aerobics--and ate maybe once each day. My body actually started shutting down! Every time I'd sit down I'd get so cold I had to use an electric blanket to warm up, and then I'd fall asleep.

I really noticed that when you are thinner, people treat you differently. Freaked me out a little! They move closer to you, they feel freer to touch your shoulder, they're also nicer.

When you're heavy, you become rather more invisible, as if that's possible! But yeah, you get ignored.

After losing my weight, I went through a horrible debilitating depression, and started taking meds, some of which were inappropriate--but try telling the dr. that. The weight started coming back on. . .

Now two kids later and one on the way--I'm looking forward to getting back on my treadmill and trying to get some of the weight I lost a few years ago back off.

Since I've done it once before, I know I can do it again!

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Carole said:
Every time a person tries to diet by extremely limiting their food, they'll hurt their metabolism more and more, making it harder each time they try to diet. Weight does eventually come off, but it's more muscle than fat. When weight comes back, that person just has a lot more fat than before and a lot less lean muscle tissue. I keep trying to tell mom that that is why she just keeps getting squishier and squishier even if she levels off back at the same weight. She's lost an awful lot of muscle over the years from trying to starve herself thin and her metabolism is practically nil.

The thing is, I wasn't dieting, or specifically trying to lose weight. I don't have a big appetite, never overeat, and the food I most like isn't fattening. It was frustrating, because I was on a naturally healthy diet for years, lots of fruit and vegetable, whole grain everything, and still my weight just kept going up,. I was never a yo-yo dieter, and never counted calories.
It was the wring fats that was making me put on weight, and changing to better fats helped me lose it.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
aHA! I got ya. I didn't read your post correctly the first time (I was still half asleep, though *grin*) Mine was stress and not eating.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
This post isn't about me, it's about my wife (who will kill me if she finds out I posted this).

We've been married over nine years, and she has weighed about 250 for most of it. It hasn't really bothered me because I think she's beautiful and sexy no matter what she weighs. But it has always bothered her. She had moderate success with Weight Watchers, but ended up not being able to keep it up.

This year she tried LA Weight Loss. As a result, as of right now, this week she has lost fifty pounds. She literally works her butt off for it, though. She works out every day or walks on the treadmill. And when she uses the treadmill, she walks at a very fast pace for two miles! I can barely do one mile at a moderate pace.

I will not lie to you, she does do LA Weight Loss's supplements and things. But they're working. AND we are BOTh learning how to eat more healthfully. Ever since she started, we have both made major changes in how we eat. Although she is restricted to certain kinds of foods, there is enough variety built into the program so so that she can have a varied diet. She can only have certain portion sizes and weights, and we are both careful to do exactly what the book says. As a result, she's skinnier, happier, and enjoys the multitudes of positive comments she gets from everybody every day.

Me, I weigh about the same as I ever did: 165. I put on about five pounds since I took a desk job last year (it's all at my gut), but am still skinny at 35.

As an aside about LA Weight Loss, of course I had my convictions when she first signed up (it's expensive, oh yes it is. You pay up front, but that's an incredible motivator right off the bat). But I have never read about LA Weight Loss horror stories and deaths caused by the program. (Remember Phen Phen?)

I also have a lot of respect for ANY organization or person, be it Weight Watchers, LA Weight Loss, Richard Simmons etc., which exists to help people get healthy. I mean, Richard Simmons has made entire life out of it. How cool is that?

allen

ANNIE

Registered
Reaction score
I lost 50 LBS two years ago. Inever had a problem witrh my weight until I had my kids. two babies in 2 years did me in. I never had to lose before so I didn't know how to go about it. I joined weight watchers on-line and excercised my butt off- literally! I'm only 5'2" so a little weight goes a long way. So far I have manage to keep it off and am planning on keeping it that way.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I lost 85 after The Kid was born. Being pregnant, with a big baby to boot, made me hungry! My OB, who wore about a size 2, scolded me for gaining 12 pounds in one month.

Pardon my ignorance but aren't you supposed to gain weight if you are pregnant? I thought that was a healthy thing to do. I don't have children but that's what I heard.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
40 pounds this year, since February. I've been stuck at the same weight for a few months now since losing that bit. I want to lose another 40, but I'm not going to drive myself insane doing it. If it takes until next summer, so be it. The point is to get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.