PDA

View Full Version : Cause for celebration?

latourdumoine
06-17-2011, 06:23 AM
A friend of ours received the following reply from an agent she queried, about three hours after sending the email (paraphrasing here): We are officially closed to submissions until October. But if you are still seeking representation then, I would like to consider your book when we are open to submissions again.

So, can we take her out to dinner to celebrate or is this really jumping the gun?

CAWriter
06-17-2011, 06:33 AM
I'd say jumping the gun. It would be worth celebrating if they said, "We are officially closed to submissions until October but your book really grabbed my interest and I'm making an exception. It might be a few weeks until I can get back to you, but I'm interested." The message she got sounds one step away from an auto-reply (which I'd have said it was if it didn't take 3 hours to get back to her). But, she should keep submitting and if she hasn't found anyone by October, submit again.

Susan Littlefield
06-17-2011, 06:46 AM
Not to burst your bubble, but it might be the standard reply they are sending out while they are closed to submissions. In fact, it might even be an auto reply.

Keep those queries going out!

latourdumoine
06-17-2011, 03:16 PM
Thanks. We've decided to take her out regardless, for not giving up when those rejections started coming in. I'd say that's a fair reason to celebrate something and keep morale going. :D

shaldna
06-17-2011, 04:16 PM
I've had those sort of responses before, they are usually form responses given to everyone who queries during the closed period.

Purple Rose
06-18-2011, 12:31 PM
It does seem like a standard response but it's always nice to take someone out to dinner. Glad you're going ahead anyway.

Wayne K
06-18-2011, 01:30 PM
I got two of these but one dinner will suffice :)

I'll wait on the porch

bearilou
06-18-2011, 05:44 PM
I got two of these but one dinner will suffice :)

I'll wait on the porch

Make sure to leave a light on so they can find you.

latourdumoine
06-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Umm, guys, the dinner's in Europe. But if you come to the airport and wave an old lantern (and promise to be there), we'll swing by, pick you up and treat you to a lovely dinner of bear stew. Promise!