Faux Pas??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archie1989

Is Published!!!
Registered
Reaction score
So I need some brutally honest feedback, because I can't decide on a fairly important point in my WIP.

My MC's best friend is gay, but has only come out to her at the beginning of the book. Throughout the course of the novel, one of the sub-plots is based on him meeting someone, and starting to finally let go of the "normal" game that he's been playing all his life.

My question is; would it be a horribly insensitive move on my part to have this initial relationship of his not work out? There's not really enough room in the book for him to meet this guy, fall for him, get burned by him, find somebody new, and achieve relationship bliss.

I'm caught between being realistic and being insensitive. By that I mean, it's my experience that very very very very few first relationships work out well. It tends to take you a while to figure out exactly what you're looking for. That's the realistic part.

The me-feeling-insensitive part comes from how much I love this character and how much I don't WANT him to get burned, especially since it's taken him so long to finally say "screw what everyone else thinks" and actually be himself. I'm also inclined to believe that others will feel the same way.

Please help :/ If I go back and forth on this anymore I'll wear the backspace right off my keyboard.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see any problem with breaking him up. If you don't want to deal with his breakup pain in the story, why not give him an amiable breakup? My friend is constantly meeting guys, sleeping with them, attempting to date them, and then ending it and winding up super good friends. I think it's weird because I never want anything to do with my exes, but he can go from madly in love to completely platonic BFF in under a week.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
One of my best friends really had this happen. It was all very amiable. He did think he was in loooooove, but the other guy and he talked a lot about how he had just really come out and it was his first time. In the end, he was just so happy to know for sure how he felt about things.

I don't know if that could be very short to go into in fiction, but the romantic relationship wasn't very long with his first love, in any case :)

Archie1989

Is Published!!!
Registered
Reaction score

I think maybe that's the best route, because if it's an amiable break-up, I wont be sobbing ashamedly as I write it, lol

Becca_H

Where am I again?
Registered
Reaction score
You could always consider leaving it open. Like they have a massive argument, break up, and then their story ends with them sitting down to talk things through.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see any problem with them breaking up. Whatever it takes to get the best friend's plotline in line with the MC's plotline. I'm assuming that the gay character being broken up with helps give a nice clean ending to the whole story? That's the impression I get...

In any event, I don't think it's insensitive, pretty much for the reasons you listed. Just because it's his first male lover, doesn't mean they're any less human or have any higher chance of making it work.

:)

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You said that "of the sub-plots is based on him meeting someone, and starting to finally let go of the "normal" game that he's been playing all his life" (my bolding). As a reader, if the character arc is that he goes from closeted to uncloseted, or in denial to accepting of himself, or from unhappy to happy, then that subplot thread will have achieved its purpose. There's no rule that the character can't come out of a broken relationship happier, stronger, more accepting of his sexuality, and more confident, than he was before he came out of the closet and met his now-ex-boyfriend. So for me, I would have no problem with the story ending with the breakup and no new love interest on the horizon, even if the breakup isn't what the character wanted, as long as the character has moved forward on his journey from faking-straight to being-gay-and-okay-with-his-gayness.

My two cents, anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.