Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score

Chumala

Registered
Reaction score
candidate Obama , tbh.

Personally I wish he would come out of the shadows. He was awesome!!!! Totally young like my generation, however he seems to have faded and been taken over by trying to please everyone. :/

But yeah I disagree with the house on this.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Personally I wish he would come out of the shadows. He was awesome!!!! Totally young like my generation, however he seems to have faded and been taken over by trying to please everyone. :/
Maybe when he actually became president, he discovered that many of candidate Obama's ideas were unworkable. Things always look different when you're the one responsible for the decisions.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I'm sick and tired of how both parties piously invoke the War Powers Resolution only when the other party's man is president. Republicans, Democrats. Fie on them both.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
you can't spell "obama" without "bomb"... sort of.

seriously i have no problem with liberals giving obama a pass on bombing libya and saying it's not war.

because we all know they would have shown the same deference to bush.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I'm still laughing because some stupid house members feel the need to argue law with someone who came from Harvard.
Well, if he went to Harvard, he must be right...
:ROFL:

Seriously? You're gonna assume he can't be wrong because he went to Harvard? Guess that about wraps it up for all those opposed to the Patriot Act and/or Obamacare. Obama went to Harvard.

Regardless, he still doesn't understand economics...

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Regardless, he still doesn't understand economics...

oh, he understands them a little:

Italy, France and Britain last week agreed to send military advisers to assist the Benghazi-based rebel Transitional National Council (TNC) in its battle against pro-Gaddafi forces.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-13188951

2011%20Oil%20Exports%20by%20Destination.gif

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
William, are you implying that France and Italy would go to war over oil? Nonsense! They'd never do such a thing because they pointedly criticized the US for doing it. No, no. They want to remove a despotic leader for purely humanitarian reasons. Shame on you for imagining otherwise.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
William, are you implying that France and Italy would go to war over oil? Nonsense! They'd never do such a thing because they pointedly criticized the US for doing it. No, no. They want to remove a despotic leader for purely humanitarian reasons. Shame on you for imagining otherwise.
Excuse me, sir. Did you drop this? :sarcasm

:D

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Their intervention IS saving lives, and there's no guarantee that Libya will export more or cheaper oil without Gaddafi than they did with. It could export less.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Their intervention IS saving lives, and there's no guarantee that Libya will export more or cheaper oil without Gaddafi than they did with. It could export less.

that begs the question, then, why we're sitting back and watching kids get slaughtered in iran, in the congo, in somalia, in syria, etc etc etc...

yeah?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
that begs the question, then, why we're sitting back and watching kids get slaughtered in iran, in the congo, in somalia, in syria, etc etc etc...

yeah?
Libya is in a situation where the assessment is we can help topple Gaddafi with minimal involvement. There's a credible rebel force, and we're dropping bombs, and I imagine supplying logistic help. We're not invading, occupying, or even fighting. We tried going into Somalia, if you'll remember. It did not turn out well for us.

But how many US military have been killed or wounded in the Libya conflict?

Many (including myself) have faulted the US, under all administrations, for supporting despotic regimes because in large part they provide stability and a reliable flow of oil. (Saudi Arabia, anyone?)

It seems odd that some of those same people would now turn around and claim that finally helping getting rid of a oil rich despot is really all about the oil.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Oil is a factor, but the opposition to Assad isn't nearly as well organized and equipped as the opposition to Gadhafi was at the time NATO intervened. Remember, the Libyan opposition forces were having success until Gadhafi started using air power against them. I think that was the tipping point - the observation that Gadhafi would eventually lose if his air power was neutralized. And that was something NATO had the capability to do fairly easily.

Syrian opposition hasn't shown it can succeed yet with a comparable level of intervention.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
and your assessment of assad?
Assad is a monster. Not to mention his influence with Hezbollah in Lebanon, where for a while it seemed there was a chance for a western style democracy.

The US would love to see him go. Just like they wanted Saddam out, but it would also probably take an invasion to accomplish, and for some reason the invasion card hasn't many adherents any more.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
thanks for sharing your opinion.

but i suspect you and clint are both overstating the rebels' capacity for toppling the government. we're in week 17, with a pretty good deal of relentless bombing and advising and reportedly hundreds of army desertions every day.

it's looking more and more like a protracted proxy war.