Society of Authors 'Not Fighting For Authors'

Status
Not open for further replies.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.thebookseller.com/news/soa-not-fighting-authors-claims-historian.html

"We’re going through a major crisis in publishing and authors are suffering a great deal," said Dallas. "I see marginalisation and poverty and good books which are not being published. Authors are angry. The SoA could point out to the public that there has been a precipitous decline in the quality of books in the past 10 years, be vocal about it. They could question publishers over the way they are selecting books at the moment."

Writer Nicola Morgan, a former Scottish chair of the SoA, said: "I agree that life is very difficult for many writers and there is a narrowing of choice and a cheapening of what we do. There are times to speak out robustly about this and times to work more persuasively behind the scenes. What I like about the SoA is its ability to do both at the right times."

But agent Claire Alexander of Aitken Alexander branded Dallas’ stance "foolish". She said: "It’s true that the big corporate publishers are narrowing their range. But they’re businesses. And it’s never been more easy for authors to find ways to readers outside of the big publishers, through independents and through e-books and print-on-demand."

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
And it’s never been more easy for authors to find ways to readers outside of the big publishers, through independents and through e-books and print-on-demand.

Oh, yes. Easy. Why, just slap that puppy up on Amazon and *POOF*! You're an instant bestseller!

...or not.

Knowing nothing about the SoA, and being rather uncertain toward writers' organizations in general, I can't comment on what they should or should not be doing.

However, it's NOT easy for authors out there right now, if you're not already established. That goes for commercial, small, indie and self-publishing. There's havoc and upheaval everywhere.

Don't know if anybody should be "responsible" for fixing it. Seems to me like it'll fix itself, eventually, one way or the other.

In the meantime... while it ain't easy, it sure is interesting. :D

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Behold the power of internet glitches, duplicating my words of *cough* wisdom...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.