Rob Zombie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs.Firefly

Registered
Reaction score
Rob Zombie is a freakin' genius. his screen writing is brilliant. the movies "House of a 1000 Corpses" and "The Devil's Rejects" are the best horror movies I've seen in a long time.

i'd love to be able to write a story like those two.

am i a twisted soul, or do some of you agree?

- Mrs.Firefly

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Oh my god, what planet am I on? House of 1000 Corpses was good? Hee hee! I hated that movie but, for some reason, I am happy to hear that somebody (or several somebodies) liked it.

The clown guy was good... I liked him.

You guys really liked it?

Really?

Outstanding.

emeraldcite

Art is Resistance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emeraldcite.blogspot.com
Yeah, I really enjoyed it. It was a great throwback to late 70s/early 80s horror. The use of random, violent, and sometimes surreal images was interesting. Captain Spaulding was an absolutely brilliant and memorable character. The plot, although ragged, was fitting.

Overall, it was well done. It's one of the few good horror movies to come out of the the millennium. Most of the crud that is coming out panders to a young teen audience. Although some of the best horror films were aimed at teens, it was understood that younger teens found their way into R-rated theatres. Now that it is more difficult for young teens to get into these films, Hollywood has dropped the creative license and went with something safe: PG-13 horror.

They rely on mildly scary images and cheap jumps.

Sad state of affairs, really, but House really captures the best of that interesting turning point at the end of the 70s.

Mrs.Firefly

Registered
Reaction score
Perks said:
Oh my god, what planet am I on? House of 1000 Corpses was good? Hee hee! I hated that movie but, for some reason, I am happy to hear that somebody (or several somebodies) liked it.

The clown guy was good... I liked him.

You guys really liked it?

Really?

Outstanding.

absolutely! it was great!

it's certainly not the type of movie I'd expect everyone to like, but I think it's one of the better recent horror movies. i'm not sure which one i like better, "House of 1000 Corspes" or "Devil's Rejects". for those who haven't seen "Rejects" yet, I won't ruin it for you by telling what happens, but if you saw the first you definitely have to see the second. it was great!

- Mrs.Firefly

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I really liked both those movies. I was a little disappointed with House of 1000 Corpses, but that is probably due to all the hype about him not being able to find a production company or something like that. I forget the details.

Devil's rejects was great, though. I thought it was a lot more creepy. Plus, hubby has a *thing* for Mrs. Zombie. Then again, who wouldn't?? I'd love to have a butt like hers!

reni

Work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
House of 1,000 Corpses was the worst movie I've ever seen in my life. Sorry, but it really was.

The Devil's Rejects was good. Not great, but good. I'd own it.

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
I liked House of 1,000 Corpses. I didn't love it, mostly because I couldn't stop thinking it was a little too much like Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Devil's Rejects was spectacular. It's a sequel, but it ignores a lot of the stuff that happened in the first movie, mainly all the underground stuff.

Zombie seems to be a really good director and writer. Hopefully we'll see more from him in the future.

Kevin Yarbrough

Will write for peace of mind
Registered
Reaction score
I loved both movies, but Nav is right. He left off a lot about what happened in House of a 1,000 corpses in the sequel. What happened to all the underground experiments? What about the girl who they captured at the end? Etc.

The movies were good and Zombie has a flair for writing and directing. I hope we see something from him again in the future.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I'm with you, reni. I thought that House/1000 was a waste of an afternoon, but Devil's Rejects was great. I don't think I'd ever watch it again, but I will definitely never forget it.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
reni said:
House of 1,000 Corpses was the worst movie I've ever seen in my life. Sorry, but it really was.

I absolutely have to agree...it didn't scare me one bit. I thought the clown guy was a little creepy but that's because I'm terrified of clowns. Overall I thought it was probably the worst movie I'd ever seen and was completely disappointed. Through the whole thing I just kept thinking it had to get better and at the end I was mostly just left thinking, "Huh?"

It was my first and only Rob Zombie experience but maybe I'll have to give Devil's Rejects a try...however, I'm skeptical at best.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I was none too impressed with either flick, especially House of 1,000 corpses. Devil's Rejects was slightly better, but neither one seemed especially worthy of praise to me. But, to each his (or her) own...

dante-x

Registered
Reaction score
“Digging to the rhythm and the echo of a solitary
Website
www.mirrorsthejourney.com
Hrm.. Well I have discussed the "1000" corpses with my mates, and they seem to love it where as it just didn't do anything for me.

I didn't find it all that frightening, kind of cheesy, mildly novel, and more of an attempt at grosing the audience out than to create a really compelling and horrifying story. Too many things just didn't add up. It just didn't stick out in the genre to me at all. A shame really as it was built up so much, he does pump out some decent tracks, and he does seem to have some artistic skill.

I did too love the clown guy heh. Clowns -excluding my ex-girlfriend that actually was a clown- just freak me out in general.

Liam Jackson

Heathen Horde Elder
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rob doesn't evoke of lot of middle-ground emotion from movie goers. And that may be by design. He seems to (successfully) target a very definite market niche. I'm not talking about the writer/directors who are genre-driven. I'm referring to those rare folk actually find a niche audience within a niche and milk them for every ounce. It's difficult to find a Zombi fan who doesn't like most all of his movies. By the same token, it's difficult to find a detractor that likes any of his movies.

If his success is due in part to his ability to write highly target-specific material, then yeah, I'd say he's a genuis.

Status
Not open for further replies.