PDA

View Full Version : My creative writing teacher just died. =(

Bartholomew
06-16-2011, 03:20 AM
Karen Stolz, author of World of Pies (http://www.amazon.com/World-Pies-Karen-Stolz/dp/0786884622).

She passed away yesterday, I found out today. She died in her sleep, cause unknown.

We really didn't see eye to eye on fiction, but I don't think some of the stories I've sold would have sold without her critique.

I'm looking for a dark corner to hide in. In lieu of alcohol, I'm eating ice cream. She loved sweets. She'd want it that way.

thothguard51
06-16-2011, 03:37 AM
Sorry to hear...

Caitlin Black
06-16-2011, 04:07 AM
*hugs*

When I was halfway through writing my first novel, I suddenly thought, "Hey, when this is finished, I should show it to my Year 12 English teacher!" Less than a week later I heard she'd died of a heart attack.

Komnena
06-16-2011, 04:10 AM
Hugs

Ambrosia
06-16-2011, 04:56 AM
I'm sorry, Bart. You are sure going through a rough patch. Be gentle with you. :Hug2:

Btw, I think the ice cream is an excellent way to honor her memory.

Silver King
06-16-2011, 05:19 AM
Damn, Bart. That's a tough break.

Hope things start to look up for you soon.

Guardian
06-16-2011, 05:22 AM
Never an easy thing.

Ari Meermans
06-16-2011, 05:23 AM
So sorry to hear about Karen Stolz.

Soccer Mom
06-16-2011, 07:29 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Medievalist
06-16-2011, 10:48 AM
I'm so sorry Bartholomew; I know how hard this can be.

I suspect she would have been delighted to see that she influenced you and your life.

I want to take a moment to remind people to let the people who have mattered, who have made a difference for them and their lives, know that they were important.

Especially teachers.

I've lost three teachers, now. Two of them smart, brilliant, funny women and skilled scholars who were hugely important role models for me. The third, the first one I lost, my father--who was a clergy man and professor. I'm still hearing from former students of his who wanted to say thank you to him, but waited too long.

There's a rhetorical tradition called a padeuteria; it means, essentially, giving thanks to teachers for what we have learned.

Go now and commit padeuteria; tell your teachers, formal and informal, what they have meant to you.

regdog
06-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Sorry for your loss :(

Bartholomew
06-16-2011, 06:46 PM
She absolutely hated genre fiction, which is pretty much all I write. I could never help that, and despite (well, ok, because of) the arguments we had on the subject of Genre vs. Literary fiction, I had a lot of fun in her classes.

I never turned in a single story that didn't have a Fantasy element in it. It drove her nuts, but it was never identifiably genre, to her thinking, so she didn't grade me down.

She didn't get to bake for the last year of her life. She was trying to lose a little weight, and gave up her favorite hobby and foods for the cause. This makes me break a little on the inside.

The pixie in my next story will adore cake. It's already a trope, maybe a cliche, but I'll know why she likes it.

=(

sassandgroove
06-16-2011, 07:00 PM
I am sorry Bart. Hug.

Snitchcat
06-16-2011, 09:11 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that, Bart. Lots of hugs and more hugs.

stormie
06-16-2011, 09:22 PM
Ice cream. Very good way to honor her memory. I'm sorry to hear about her death. :Hug2:

Broadswordbabe
06-17-2011, 01:13 AM
Oh, I am sorry. That's hard. And it makes me think I really should contact my English Lit teacher from school, Michelle Crawford, if I can get an addresss; she helped and encouraged me so much. If anyone deserves a padeuteria, she does. (And thank you, Medievalist, you deserve a padeuteria too, for teaching me the word).
Bart, you do seem to be having a sincerely crappy time at the moment. I do hope things get better for you soon. Hugs.

Haggis
06-17-2011, 01:28 AM
Bart, you're certainly having a "it was the worst of times; it was the worst of times" time of it lately. If that makes any sense at all.

Whether it does or not, you have my sympathy.