PDA

View Full Version : New e-publishing house seeks fiction! [Royalty paying.]

nightheronpress
06-15-2011, 11:59 PM
http://www.nightheronpress.com/nightheronlogo.jpeg

thothguard51
06-16-2011, 12:12 AM
A few questions your submission and about us do not cover...

What experience do your editors have? Are they inhouse or subbed?

What is the royalty package and terms?

Thank you in advance...

Chris P
06-16-2011, 12:20 AM
Interesting! I have a few questions, based on what others have asked for similar publishers. I'm sure those with more knowledge and experience will chime in as they come across the thread. I hope you don't take these questions as overly picky, but having been taken in by one scam and nearly losing a great story to a failed anthology venture I like knowing what I'm getting into.

What rights do you keep and which stay with the author?

How are shorts chosen for the print anthologies?

Are shorts considered for the anthologies only, or will they be available individually? Your one title listed is 6700 words, so I'm assuming they are available individually?

You mention that the Managing Editor (Elle Adler, which I'm assuming is very likely you) has extensive experience in business management, marketing, copy editing, and graphic design. Was any of this experience in the publishing industry? Which award did she win for her writing?

I wish you well and you have my potential interest. I'll be paying attention to this thread.

scope
06-16-2011, 01:42 AM
For the sake of clarity, is the following correct? The writer sends you a query and synopsis, and assuming you want to publishing the story as an ebook (do you do paper books also?) you request the complete manuscript and send a contract to the writer that amongst other things says that you will incur ALL costs (e.g., editorial, inner and cover design, formatting, production) required to take the work from manuscript to a completed, professionally done, uploaded ebook? What rights do you retain? How do you determine the retail price, and what percentage of same does the author receive? What type (if any) of promorion and marketing do you do? How many ebooks have you uploaded and sold (I realize your company is new), and how?

Unimportant
06-16-2011, 01:51 AM
Another question here --

The "about us" page says:

Managing Editor: Elle Adler
Elle Adler hopes to combine her experience in business management and marketing with her passion for the written word. An award-winning writer, Elle Adler also has a background in editing, copy writing, and graphic design, for both print and online publications.

I couldn't find anything about Elle on a Google search. Can you point me toward her award-winning writings? I always find it helpful to read an editor's prose to get an idea of what they like. Also, is it possible to get the names of the print and online publications that Elle edited?

newbound
06-16-2011, 02:29 AM
I couldn't find anything about Elle on a Google search. Can you point me toward her award-winning writings?

Wow, you're not kidding. I find pages and pages of stuff when I type my name, but Elle Adler doesn't even fill up one full page on Google. Strange.

How many ebooks have you uploaded and sold (I realize your company is new), and how?
Would any publisher disclose this? :P

But considering the site has no PR or Alexa rating, it is obviously brand new. It might not have sold any books at this point.

This is from the site itself:

Welcome to NightHeronPress.com!

Our first books will be released in Fall 2011.

News

We will offically open up to submissions on June 15th!

So they only started accepting submissions as of today!

veinglory
06-16-2011, 02:39 AM
Cute logo.

veinglory
06-16-2011, 07:03 PM
So, the press is owned by the author of their one currently listed book?