An agent asked for MS but doesn't rep that genre

voodoo

Registered
Reaction score
I usually do plenty of research before submitting to an agent.
I have been getting no takers on my query
and so when I sent it out the other day I was in a sour mood
and didn't even realize that this agent only reps YA and MG.

She emailed back and said it "sounded interesting" and wants to read it.
Ack! My MS is neither YA or MG!

Should I tell her and hope she still wants to see it?
Or just send it and cross my fingers?
Do agents who like your work, but don't rep that genre, toss them aside or give it to a colleague?

Or am I basically screwed?
*sigh*

P.S. I was clear in my query that it was suspense.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
Congrats on the request! It could be that she's looking to expand or occassionally reps other types, or just hasn't updated her rep list. Just send it!

voodoo

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you!

I'm just worried that she'll think I pulled one over on her.
That's the last impression I want to make.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! Maybe she's been wanting to expand her list, but hasn't announced it yet due to uncertainty. Maybe you've gotten to her before the hordes! :)

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
You'll only screw yourself by being rude to the agent. They all know each other.

(In the sense that they're familiar with each other. Reputation and all that. Not implying they're one huge cabal that hang out in a dark lair...)

That said, send it. Be nice. You never know where it could lead because hey, they all know each other.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Just because it's suspense does not mean it can't be MG or YA. Many MG and YA novels are suspense. Were you clear that it was ADULT suspense?

JuliaH

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kazarafromtheinternet.blogspot.com
Send it. There's no blacklist for writers who send their manuscripts to agents who don't rep their genres. If she rejects you, she won't hold it against you.

Just be careful that she'll be able to sell your manuscript. If she offers you representation ask where she's thinking of submitting it.

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Many agents who "only" represent YA and MG also represent adult projects for their clients, so it might not be that much of a stretch for her.

However, not knowing who this agent is, I would say that "no" isn't the worst that could happen. Should an agent who doesn't have sales in a genre offer representation, do be sure to ask what her game plan for submission is. Does she have connections with editors in the genre? Is she familiar with the marketplace for this genre? Do your own research on which publishers are buying the genre (Publisher's Marketplace has this, or you can browse spines at bookstores). A manuscript going around the block with the wrong chaperone is rarely a good thing.

Good luck!

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Just send it without any caveats. You have no way of knowing what the agent was thinking, and for you to ovethink something positive doesn't makes sense.

voodoo

Registered
Reaction score
No, I didn't make it clear it was adult suspense. It just says suspense.
Yes, I planned on being nice to her. Can't imagine why anyone would do otherwise
to someone who could change one's life for the better.

And the agent is Ali McDonald.
I'm not finding a lot on her.
From what I've read online she's great to work with and really nice.

I didn't explain anything to her.
I just sent it as requested.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I think when you say suspense, agents assume you mean adult suspense unless you specify.

Not if that agent states in her guidelines that she only handles YA, or MG, or whatever. The agent has every right to believe you've read and followed her guidelines. She would be extremely silly to assume it was adult.

SHE has already specified that she doesn't handle adult fiction, so why on earth would she assume a writer completely ignored her guidelines and wanted to submit something she has already said she doesn't handle?

Nothing logical at all in thinking this.