PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Beta Reader for a Mainstream/Contemporary 12k-Novelette

Brett Marie
06-14-2011, 06:09 PM
I have a novelette that's just too big to put up, even serialized, on the SYW board. I'd like a beta reader to check it out, and give me some pointers.

The story follows the mother of a disabled boy as she visits with an old flame while on a family vacation in Prague. It's about 12,000 words.

I'd prefer to find somebody with experience on the other side of the editor's desk. A fair number of markets have rejected this piece, and I need to know from an editor's point of view what it's doing wrong.

I'd also like some advice as to where to send it once it's been polished up. I've found it challenging to find suitable places to even consider giving it a home, not least because of its word count.

If you want to sample my level of writing ability before taking me on, you can read another work on the SYW board here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6247273#post6247273). The themes of the pieces are totally different (the novelette is far less inflammatory), but in purely technical terms I think they're at the same level.

Thanks to anyone willing to consider me!