Effects of ro-hypnol

Julie Reilly

Registered
Reaction score
If someone is drugged with ro-hypnol, I can find lots of info about the effects the next day - I know she can't remember anything, but what is it like while she is under the influence.

Basically my MC has been drugged and raped by two men, but she doesn't know it. She was very drunk and did agree to have sex with them, but then realised she didn't want to any more and backed out. So they drugged her and did it anyway and recorded the whole thing.

My question is, would she appear to be conscious on the recording, or does it knock you out straightaway?

Or are you conscious at the time, but just not remember any of it afterwards? And, if she is conscious, would she be fighting them, or does the drug make you not care?

I read that it loosens the inhibitions, so it might appear that she is conscious and enjoying it, when in fact she is drugged.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My understanding is that you are not unconscious at all. You are sort of like your usual self, with impaired judgment and slowed motor skills, kind of like being slightly drunk.

Depending on what's being done to your MC by whoever drugged her, yes, she might well fight, but probably not very effectively. She's going to fight anyone who seeks to cause her pain or tries to kill her. But whether she fights someone who seeks sex without consent depends on who she is, how dangerous she judges him to be when angered, and a host of other factors, just like a women facing rape without having been drugged. Sometimes fighting is the way to go, other times fighting seems more likely to get you hurt worse.

This is all just hearsay, so if someone chimes in with actual experience, listen to them.

Maryn, trying to help

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what drug was used on me, but it was probably ro-hypnol. Let me know if that'll help before I go into the whole thing ;)

I don't really mind explaining it, btw. It wasn't my fault, so I think of it like explaining a car accident or other bad thing in one's past.

Archie1989

Is Published!!!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd also appreciate any info on this. I was under the impression that the most often-used date-rape drugs would knock you out after a few minutes, and with that assumption, I wrote a scene in my (pretty much) completed MS.

If I have incorrect info, somebody please call me on it

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, I'll go ahead and describe whatever it was I'd been given.

I went to a friend of a friend's house to have a girl's night in, a sleepover. My friend was there, of course. I didn't know the other girl.

I drank a coke from a glass that the girl offered, and the two other girls lit up a joint. I only wanted one toke, so I took one toke, no more. Not a big one. Nothing tasted strange in the drink or the marijuana.

This is a problem, clearly, for trying to figure out what was in my system. It could be an inhaled drug or something in the drink.

The next memory I have is putting on eyeliner at the girl's mirror. Just a flash. It was hard to put on the eyeliner, I do remember.

The memory after that is sitting at a table in an unknown kitchen, surrounded by men, with a couple of them commenting on how much I had drunk. I looked down and I had over a half dozen (I don't know exactly how many) empty alcohol bottles in front of me on the table (like Mike's Hard Lemonade).

It goes on from there, of course. The level of consciousness verses what was in my system was even more confused after the consumption of so much alcohol, so I don't know if my story helps any.

But there ya go. I was clearly interacting with folks and have absolutely no memories of most of it. The memories were all small flashes, but they did form a plot in the end. I didn't understand the plot as it happened. It was certainly a drug I've never experienced before or since.

Archie1989

Is Published!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Holy s**t. That's horrible, I'm so sorry that somebody was cruel enough to put you through that. I'm literally angry on your behalf right now. Effing sickos.

On a lighter (?) note, looks like I have some editting to do. I have my MC lucid but losing consciousness and physically weak.

Thanks for sharing such a traumatic experience

xo
Archie

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. That sounds eerily similar to a typical experience with Versed (sp?), the drug commonly used for certain medical procedures. The patient is cooperative, able to converse, move as desired, and all that, but when the drug wears off, there is heavy amnesia, at most only flashes of memory, if that.

But it's intravenous, rather than drunk or inhaled.

It's also similar to sodium pentathol, used for dental procedures, but again, IV.

I'm sorry you endured such a horrific experience. I do hope you sicced the authorities on anyone you could identify.

Maryn, who detests her fellow man far too often

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Thank y'all :) :) I had PTSD for about 4 years after. Actually, it was only one guy and he was told that I wanted to sleep with him. The real criminal is my antisocial best friend (and her insane cousin, perhaps). Seriously, it was because this girl was a psycopath and I didn't realize the extent of her evilness. I thought she just had shoplifting/lying problems and felt sorry for her!

Try not to piss off a psycopath in any way ;)

It was a LOT like anesthesia, now that I think of it. You know how with some dental procedures, as you are waking up you are answering questions from nurses, etc, but you can't quite figure out what is going on? That's it in a nutshell.

I can't be sure this is how roofies do, of course. But I'm glad it helped :)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, the next day! If this was ro-hypnol, I can say that it wore off like a drug or alcohol wearing off. I 'sobered up' more and more until I was fully awake. This happened before the next day, in the wee wee hours.

After I'd slept (which I did a little while after I sobered up), I woke up feeling completely sober. No aftereffects from the drug at all. Well, probably a hangover, but I was psychologically numb and 'in shock', so I can't say about minor annoyances.

Julie Reilly

Registered
Reaction score
Once again - thank you so much for all your help - you really can ask anything here! I'm sorry if it made you uncomfortable reliving it though :( I am very grateful you were willing to do so just for our research. :Hug2:

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Here are some quotes from http://www.lycos.com/info/rohypnol--effects.html?page=2

The effects of Rohypnol begin within 30 minutes following ingestion and can last as long as 24 hours. Rohypnol has an amnesia effect that prevents people from remembering anything about the time period following the ingestion of the drug, including how and why they took it. People who have taken Rohypnol are completely conscious, awake, and fully aware of what they are doing at the time. The next day... they can have no recollection of what happened.

Rohypnol can affect your self-control. Rohypnol is used in “date rape” and other assaults because it is a sedative that can make you unconscious and immobilize you. Rohypnol can cause a kind of amnesia - users may not remember what they said or did while under the effects of the drug, making it easier for others to take advantage of them.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Once again - thank you so much for all your help - you really can ask anything here! I'm sorry if it made you uncomfortable reliving it though :( I am very grateful you were willing to do so just for our research. :Hug2:

You're welcome :) The fact that it happened is like remembering a car accident or something... I'm healed after so many years, for sure. So it's cool. (I have a massive hatred for the ex-best friend, but nothing's gonna ever change that, I don't think!)

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
First off, the most common date rape drug remains alcohol, and many people reporting that they were drugged show no evidence of any other drug.

Second is dosage matters, as it does with any drug. And dosage is directly a result of weight. And the less the individual weighs, the tighter are the tolerances of the proper dosage. Further complicating the dosage issue is the fact that amateurs tend to figure if a little works, a bit more will work even better. In other words, the tendency is to overdose. Which with a lack of information out there as to what is appropriate dosages makes it even easier to overdose. And add in alcohol into the equation and correct dosage would be hard for even a doctor.

End result is you have a wide range of results in this situation. People under the influence of Rohypnol can be anywhere from appearing relatively normal to unconscious to dead. Since for rape cases, as it is frequently used in conjunction with alcohol, it will often mirror intoxication, including the changes in level as the victim continues to consume alcohol. The Rohypnol will aggravate the effects of alcohol.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe