HBO To Remake 'I, Claudius'

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2011/jun/13/i-claudius-hbo-remake

The news that HBO is planning a mini-series in conjunction with the BBC based on Robert Graves's I, Claudius novels will provoke a gamut of responses. Some, with fond memories of 1976 and the BBC adaptation of the books, will snort with dismay at yet another example of TV Eating Itself, of the corporations playing it safe by playing it retro. Others might wonder why it took them so long to get around to this. The new Claudius will involve Jane Tranter and Anne Thomopoulos who oversaw the successful mid-Naughties series Rome. A mere four years after that ended come plans for a Rome-style series in its wake. The wheels of commissioning grind safe but slow.

For those who deplore the retro-maniacal tendencies of modern programmers, this is more grist. Such projects are supposed to have a built-in, surefire expectation of success but thankfully, they don't always work. For every Doctor Who there are casualties such as the Reggie Perrin remake or the woeful Minder one, which indicate that not all 70s/80s comedy/drama can be refried for mass consumption. Less thankfully, they do keep trying, arguably at the expense of original drama.

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
Meh...they should focus their resources on keeping GOT awesome. *EDIT* Or at LEAST give us a non-European historical drama. Is that too much to ask? There's kind of a lot of different history out there from a lot of different cultures. Time to get out of the f*ing box already.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember seeing the 1976 series.

I don't see anything odd about making an updated version (and anything is better than another celebrity talent contest or "reality" show). As I recall, the 1976 version was very much of a filmed stage play; that sometimes works, but it can sometimes look "cheap" on a TV screen (it's different if you actually go to a stage play).

There are worst things for them to remake, such as making movies out of old American TV series. Did we really need a movie about the Beverly Hillbillies or Bewitched?

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For what? for who? the original is perfect.

Ah, yes, but they have to do something don't they? Well, make it good, it will have very big shoes to fill.

I got's me the dvd set of the original. Love it.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That cast simply can not be equalled:

Derick Jacobe
John Hurt
Brian Blessed
Sian Phillips
Patrick Stewart
that really hot blonde guy that played Germanicus.

Reaction score
Website
amsterdamassassin.wordpress.com
The original miniseries has a 9.2 rating on IMDB.

Sure some things are 'dated' [the tune for instance], but:
- it's historical drama, so the 'theatre' look isn't important.
- moreover, the theatre setting, where they don't show the gladiator games, but merely the reactions of the audience, is not only budget-wise smart, but also fires up the imagination of the watchers.
- watching actors like John Hurt in their younger years is simply magnificent.
- the acting is great. Not just the main characters, but every single actor does a great performance, no matter how minute their role.

How can they improve on the miniseries? By showing Caligula eating Drusilla's baby, instead ending the scene with an agonished scream and seeing John Hurt leave the room with blood around his mouth? By showing the gladiator games? By showing Livilla copulating with 25 men in her competition with the prostitute Scylla? What is there to gain?

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
There was an attempt to make a film of this earlier, chronicled in the documentary The Epic That Never Was. Looked good. Me, I have no problem with another version, providing it is well done. How many Draculas are there? Pride and Prejudices?