[deprecated] The Absolute Write Dictionary

Status
Not open for further replies.

E.G. Gammon

Registered
Reaction score
Admin Note:

I have created a new FAQ: Absolute Write Dictionary. In that thread, I have ruthlessly exploited E.G. Gammon's efforts as well as those of many others. It was getting difficult for people to find terms in this otherwise excellent thread. Please go to the new thread.

With all the terms and abbreviations scattered about the boards, I felt it would be useful (especially to those new to the boards) to begin an AW Dictionary. I'll get it started

1. AW - Abbreviation for the name of the boards (Absolute Write)

2. PA - Abbreviation for the publisher: 'PublishAmerica'

3. NEPAT - Abbreviation for the 'Neverending PublishAmerica Thread' located in the 'Bewares and Background Check' Board

4. BIC - 'Butt-In-Chair;' A method of writing involving sitting down at a desk to write and not moving until the words start to flow (or until you go crazy)

5. Atlanta Nights - A writing project by a group of writers (many from the Absolute Write boards) set into motion to expose PublishAmerica's flawed manuscript submission process. Read about and purchase the 'novel' here: http://www.lulu.com/content/102550

6. Travis Tea - Pseudonym of the group of writers behind 'Atlanta Nights.' If you know about the 'Atlanta Nights' project, I'm sure you'll appreciate the humor behind the author name chosen - that is, if you say it fast enough

7. WIP - Abbreviation for 'Work-in-Progress;' Term writers here use when discussing their current project

8. SOS - Abbreviation for 'Stories of Strength' - Absolute Write's Hurricane Relief project started by Jenna (the board's webmistress) in the wake of Hurricane Katrina's devastation. Read about and purchase the novel here: Stories of Strength (Lulu) or visit the 'Stories of Strength' Message Board - a sub-forum of 'Office Party'

9. MS - Abbreviation for 'manuscript'

10. SF - Abbreviation for the 'Science-Fiction'/'Sci-Fi' genre

Last edited by a moderator:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wish this list had been around when I was brand-new here. I think the last one I picked up was NEPAT, since I didn't spend time at the PA threads.

Any chance for a sticky (perhaps at another board)?

Maryn, mad about stickies, I tell you, mad!

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I have to second Maryn's suggestion for a sticky...this would have been a great resource when I was new. I still run across a few I don't know but I've finally gotten most of them down. Maybe the newbie forum would be a good place...though I've never actually been there.

~Kristie, mad about Maryn's signatures, I tell you, mad! ;)

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
query - a one-page single-spaced letter (use Times New Roman, 12 point) summarizing your project to a publisher or agent. If you can't sell your story in three or four paragraphs, your writing might be just as flabby.

sample chapters - the FIRST THREE chapters (or as many as the publisher requests) of your manuscript. Sending any other three smacks of some sort of cover-up.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great idea, E.G. I've placed a sticky/closed thread over in Newbies with a link to here. It'll keep the definitions all in one place and draw the new folks out into the forums. I'll sticky this thread too so it stays on the main page for anyone who doesn't come here via the newbies forum.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
IIRC = If I Remember (or Recall) Correctly

Not to be confused with IRC, Internet Relay Chat

Maryn, easily confused but lacking Hugh Grant's befuddled charm

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
Maryn said:
... IRC, Internet Relay Chat
which brings up that there IS a chatroom for AW members. It's called #AbsoluteWrite and it's located on StarChat.Net. You can reach it two ways: one, by clicking the link at the top of the main page of these forums, or two, by using any IRC client (mIRC, PIRCH, etc.) and logging onto any of the StarChat servers. Be sure the room name includes the #sign: #AbsoluteWrite.

It's a great place for real-time discussion, trading jokes, just touching base with your fellow writers. There is usually someone hanging out in there...if not, wait awhile and someone will show up. Of course, if no one's there when you arrive, you could always invite someone to chat with you. ;)

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
monospaced (or fixed pitch) font - a font such as Courier, Pica or Prestige which resembles typewriter printing and in which each letter is the same width. If a publisher's guidelines do not specify a font, play it safe and print your manuscript with a monospaced font like Courier at 12 points (10 characters per inch).

proportional (or variable pitch) font - a font like Times New Roman, Georgia, Garamond or Book Antiqua in which the width of each character varies, i. e.: the letter i is narrower than the letter w. Suitable for cover or query letters but not manuscripts unless a publisher specifies it. If so, use Times New Roman at 12 points.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Maryn said:
IIRC = If I Remember (or Recall) Correctly

Not to be confused with IRC, Internet Relay Chat

Maryn, easily confused but lacking Hugh Grant's befuddled charm

Or, a different IRC - International Reply Coupon (used in lieu of stamps).

Kida Adelyne

Me got zero cookies!
Registered
Reaction score
Thought to add:

WPR- the weekend progress report, over in the humour section.

ANNIE

Registered
Reaction score
LOL- laugh out loud

SO- significant other

DH- darling husband

DW- darling wife

DD-darling daughter

DS- darling son

BTW- By the way

lots of others, but I can't remeber anymore just now

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Rats! Board ate my reply. I'll see what I remember...

HOL: Ray's House of Love Party thread on the Take it Outside board

TIO: the Take it Outside board

SASE= self-addressed stamped envelope
(outside the US, usually referred to as SAE= stamped addressed envelope)

Not specific to writing forums, but net-speak terms in general:

YMMV: Your mileage may vary

ROFL: Rolling on the floor laughing

ROFLMAO: Rolling on the floor laughing my tushy off

BRB: Be right back (usually used in chatrooms)

FWIW: For what it's worth

IMHO: In my humble opinion
(IMO: In my opinion)

sp: spelling. Usually used when someone isn't sure of his/her spelling of a word, like: "I read this great book by Bob Hirdensheiler (sp?)."

If you see any terms around the boards that confuse you, please don't be afraid to ask! Most of the above stumped me for a long time.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
I've seen SAE referred to as Self-addressed envelope within the US. This can be a tricky one in determining the real meaning under some occasions.

Poppy

Me, myself and I don't know
Registered
Reaction score
TAT = turnaround time (amount of time someone waits from submission to acceptance/rejection)

POA = pays on acceptance

POP = pays on publication

OT = off topic

UJ = Uncle Jim = James D. Macdonald (I know this one might seem obvious, but if you're a newbie or don't frequent the same forums that he does, you might not know, and he is mentioned quite often around here.)

SYW = Share your work forum

PDF files = portable document files - a file format viewed with Adobe Reader (admittedly not the best explanation so if someone else wants to elaborate).

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
FYI - For your information

TMI - Too much information

IMDB - Internet Movie DabaBase

AAR - Association of Authors' Representatives

YA - Young Adult (fiction)

YW - You're welcome

ty or tyvm - thank you or thank you very much

l337 - leet, which means elite

MC - Main Character (as opposed to Master of Ceremony)

POV - Point of view

JIT - Just in time

MW - Maestrowork :)

omega12596

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
A blob can be a lot of things, but it was probably used as a derogatory version of BLOG. The web diary things, LOL.

WTF- what the **ck
PIMP- generally attached to ROFL or ROFLMAO. It mean peeing in my pants.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
LightShadow said:
what are blobs? someone mentioned having blobs on a thread? was it a joke? was I suckered in? FAQ didn't come up with anything.

They used to be connected with the rep points. Everyone started with one green blob and earned another for every 100 rep points. Really bad members had red blobs. They disappeared when rep points got out of hand.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.