PDA

View Full Version : [deprecated] The Absolute Write Dictionary

E.G. Gammon
11-03-2005, 03:34 PM
Admin Note:

I have created a new FAQ: Absolute Write Dictionary (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241878). In that thread, I have ruthlessly exploited E.G. Gammon's efforts as well as those of many others. It was getting difficult for people to find terms in this otherwise excellent thread. Please go to the new thread (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241878).

With all the terms and abbreviations scattered about the boards, I felt it would be useful (especially to those new to the boards) to begin an AW Dictionary. I'll get it started

1. AW - Abbreviation for the name of the boards (Absolute Write)

2. PA - Abbreviation for the publisher: 'PublishAmerica'

3. NEPAT - Abbreviation for the 'Neverending PublishAmerica Thread' located in the 'Bewares and Background Check' Board

4. BIC - 'Butt-In-Chair;' A method of writing involving sitting down at a desk to write and not moving until the words start to flow (or until you go crazy)

5. Atlanta Nights - A writing project by a group of writers (many from the Absolute Write boards) set into motion to expose PublishAmerica's flawed manuscript submission process. Read about and purchase the 'novel' here: http://www.lulu.com/content/102550

6. Travis Tea - Pseudonym of the group of writers behind 'Atlanta Nights.' If you know about the 'Atlanta Nights' project, I'm sure you'll appreciate the humor behind the author name chosen - that is, if you say it fast enough

7. WIP - Abbreviation for 'Work-in-Progress;' Term writers here use when discussing their current project

8. SOS - Abbreviation for 'Stories of Strength' - Absolute Write's Hurricane Relief project started by Jenna (the board's webmistress) in the wake of Hurricane Katrina's devastation. Read about and purchase the novel here: Stories of Strength (Lulu) (http://www.lulu.com/shop/various-authors/stories-of-strength/ebook/product-18612428.html/) or visit the 'Stories of Strength' Message Board - a sub-forum of 'Office Party'

9. MS - Abbreviation for 'manuscript'

10. SF - Abbreviation for the 'Science-Fiction'/'Sci-Fi' genre

Maryn
11-03-2005, 06:31 PM
I wish this list had been around when I was brand-new here. I think the last one I picked up was NEPAT, since I didn't spend time at the PA threads.

Any chance for a sticky (perhaps at another board)?

Maryn, mad about stickies, I tell you, mad!

kristie911
11-03-2005, 07:13 PM
I have to second Maryn's suggestion for a sticky...this would have been a great resource when I was new. I still run across a few I don't know but I've finally gotten most of them down. Maybe the newbie forum would be a good place...though I've never actually been there.

~Kristie, mad about Maryn's signatures, I tell you, mad! ;)

JoeEkaitis
11-03-2005, 09:03 PM
query - a one-page single-spaced letter (use Times New Roman, 12 point) summarizing your project to a publisher or agent. If you can't sell your story in three or four paragraphs, your writing might be just as flabby.

sample chapters - the FIRST THREE chapters (or as many as the publisher requests) of your manuscript. Sending any other three smacks of some sort of cover-up.

ChunkyC
11-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Great idea, E.G. I've placed a sticky/closed thread over in Newbies with a link to here. It'll keep the definitions all in one place and draw the new folks out into the forums. I'll sticky this thread too so it stays on the main page for anyone who doesn't come here via the newbies forum.

Unique
11-03-2005, 10:23 PM
>''<

Maryn
11-03-2005, 10:39 PM
IIRC = If I Remember (or Recall) Correctly

Not to be confused with IRC, Internet Relay Chat

Maryn, easily confused but lacking Hugh Grant's befuddled charm

Pthom
11-04-2005, 04:02 AM
... IRC, Internet Relay Chatwhich brings up that there IS a chatroom for AW members. It's called #AbsoluteWrite and it's located on StarChat.Net. You can reach it two ways: one, by clicking the link at the top of the main page of these forums, or two, by using any IRC client (mIRC, PIRCH, etc.) and logging onto any of the StarChat servers. Be sure the room name includes the #sign: #AbsoluteWrite.

It's a great place for real-time discussion, trading jokes, just touching base with your fellow writers. There is usually someone hanging out in there...if not, wait awhile and someone will show up. Of course, if no one's there when you arrive, you could always invite someone to chat with you. ;)

JoeEkaitis
11-04-2005, 04:56 AM
monospaced (or fixed pitch) font - a font such as Courier, Pica or Prestige which resembles typewriter printing and in which each letter is the same width. If a publisher's guidelines do not specify a font, play it safe and print your manuscript with a monospaced font like Courier at 12 points (10 characters per inch).

proportional (or variable pitch) font - a font like Times New Roman, Georgia, Garamond or Book Antiqua in which the width of each character varies, i. e.: the letter i is narrower than the letter w. Suitable for cover or query letters but not manuscripts unless a publisher specifies it. If so, use Times New Roman at 12 points.

awatkins
11-05-2005, 04:10 AM
ETA - Edited to Add.

JenNipps
11-08-2005, 03:36 AM
IIRC = If I Remember (or Recall) Correctly

Not to be confused with IRC, Internet Relay Chat

Maryn, easily confused but lacking Hugh Grant's befuddled charm

Or, a different IRC - International Reply Coupon (used in lieu of stamps).

Kida Adelyne
11-08-2005, 03:47 AM
Thought to add:

WPR- the weekend progress report, over in the humour section.

KimJo
12-16-2005, 08:26 PM
IANAL- I am not a lawyer.

It took me a while to figure that one out.

ANNIE
12-26-2005, 06:53 AM
LOL- laugh out loud

SO- significant other

DH- darling husband

DW- darling wife

DD-darling daughter

DS- darling son

BTW- By the way

lots of others, but I can't remeber anymore just now

JennaGlatzer
12-29-2005, 05:21 PM
Rats! Board ate my reply. I'll see what I remember...

HOL: Ray's House of Love Party thread on the Take it Outside board

TIO: the Take it Outside board

SASE= self-addressed stamped envelope
(outside the US, usually referred to as SAE= stamped addressed envelope)

Not specific to writing forums, but net-speak terms in general:

YMMV: Your mileage may vary

ROFL: Rolling on the floor laughing

ROFLMAO: Rolling on the floor laughing my tushy off

BRB: Be right back (usually used in chatrooms)

FWIW: For what it's worth

IMHO: In my humble opinion
(IMO: In my opinion)

sp: spelling. Usually used when someone isn't sure of his/her spelling of a word, like: "I read this great book by Bob Hirdensheiler (sp?)."

If you see any terms around the boards that confuse you, please don't be afraid to ask! Most of the above stumped me for a long time.

DaveKuzminski
12-29-2005, 05:36 PM
I've seen SAE referred to as Self-addressed envelope within the US. This can be a tricky one in determining the real meaning under some occasions.

Poppy
01-13-2006, 03:09 AM
TAT = turnaround time (amount of time someone waits from submission to acceptance/rejection)

POA = pays on acceptance

POP = pays on publication

OT = off topic

UJ = Uncle Jim = James D. Macdonald (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?userid=10) (I know this one might seem obvious, but if you're a newbie or don't frequent the same forums that he does, you might not know, and he is mentioned quite often around here.)

SYW = Share your work forum

PDF files = portable document files - a file format viewed with Adobe Reader (http://www.adobe.com/) (admittedly not the best explanation so if someone else wants to elaborate).

maestrowork
01-27-2006, 03:07 AM
FYI - For your information

TMI - Too much information

IMDB - Internet Movie DabaBase

AAR - Association of Authors' Representatives

YA - Young Adult (fiction)

YW - You're welcome

ty or tyvm - thank you or thank you very much

l337 - leet, which means elite

MC - Main Character (as opposed to Master of Ceremony)

POV - Point of view

JIT - Just in time

MW - Maestrowork :)

preyer
02-19-2006, 10:19 PM
mtfbwy ~ may the force be with you

afair ~ as far as i remember/recall

LightShadow
03-18-2006, 11:40 PM
what are blobs? someone mentioned having blobs on a thread? was it a joke? was I suckered in? FAQ didn't come up with anything.

omega12596
04-12-2006, 05:05 AM
A blob can be a lot of things, but it was probably used as a derogatory version of BLOG. The web diary things, LOL.

WTF- what the **ck
PIMP- generally attached to ROFL or ROFLMAO. It mean peeing in my pants.

MadScientistMatt
04-12-2006, 05:18 AM
what are blobs? someone mentioned having blobs on a thread? was it a joke? was I suckered in? FAQ didn't come up with anything.

They used to be connected with the rep points. Everyone started with one green blob and earned another for every 100 rep points. Really bad members had red blobs. They disappeared when rep points got out of hand.

writerterri
08-01-2006, 10:12 AM
mss- manuscripts

Dork- I dig you.

dancingandflying
08-04-2006, 11:05 PM
thanks,
danya.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
08-04-2006, 11:26 PM
WIP - Work in Progress. ;)

expatbrat
09-21-2006, 07:21 AM
OP - Original Poster (person who started the thread)

Beloved
10-09-2006, 07:08 AM
TYVM, MTFBWY. IIRC, YW to SYW or POV OT. IMHO, AW SOS is a MW JIT. AFAIR, YMMV for your WIP FWIW. FYI, I am BIC! BTW, I'll BRB I'm PIMP ROTFLMAO!!:roll:
ETA
DYGGAT?!:D

In other words,...

Thank you very much, may the force be with you. If I remember correctly, you're welcome to share your work or point of view off topic. In my humble opinion, Absolute Write's Stories of Strength is a maestro work just in time. As far I remember, your milage may vary for your work in progress for whatever it's worth. For your information, I am butt-in-chair! By the way, I'll be right back, I'm peeing in my pants rolling on the floor laughing my "tushy" off!!:roll:
Edited to add
DYGGAT: Did you guys get all that?!:D

engmajor2005
11-13-2006, 10:18 PM
TYVM, MTFBWY. IIRC, YW to SYW or POV OT. IMHO, AW SOS is a MW JIT. AFAIR, YMMV for your WIP FWIW. FYI, I am BIC! BTW, I'll BRB I'm PIMP ROTFLMAO!!:roll:
ETA
DYGGAT?!:D

In other words,...

Thank you very much, may the force be with you. If I remember correctly, you're welcome to share your work or point of view off topic. In my humble opinion, Absolute Write's Stories of Strength is a maestro work just in time. As far I remember, your milage may vary for your work in progress for whatever it's worth. For your information, I am butt-in-chair! By the way, I'll be right back, I'm peeing in my pants rolling on the floor laughing my "tushy" off!!:roll:
Edited to add
DYGGAT: Did you guys get all that?!:D

You are my hero.

thethinker42
05-06-2007, 12:33 AM
Wack: 1) v. To hit something. 2) n. Euphemism for Joaquin Phoenix, commonly used by scarletpeaches and thethinker42 when taunting one another about their respective sex lives with said smokin' hot actor.

Jedi Dad
05-23-2007, 09:33 PM
With all the terms and abbreviations scattered about the boards, I felt it would be useful (especially to those new to the boards) to begin an AW Dictionary. I'll get it started:

1. AW - Abbreviation for the name of the boards (Absolute Write)

2. PA - Abbreviation for the publisher: 'PublishAmerica'

3. NEPAT - Abbreviation for the 'Neverending PublishAmerica Thread' located in the 'Bewares and Background Check' Board

4. BIC - 'Butt-In-Chair;' A method of writing involving sitting down at a desk to write and not moving until the words start to flow (or until you go crazy)

5. Atlanta Nights - A writing project by a group of writers (many from the Absolute Write boards) set into motion to expose PublishAmerica's flawed manuscript submission process. Read about and purchase the 'novel' here: http://www.lulu.com/content/102550

6. Travis Tea - Pseudonym of the group of writers behind 'Atlanta Nights.' If you know about the 'Atlanta Nights' project, I'm sure you'll appreciate the humor behind the author name chosen - that is, if you say it fast enough

7. WIP - Abbreviation for 'Work-in-Progress;' Term writers here use when discussing their current project

8. SOS - Abbreviation for 'Stories of Strength' - Absolute Write's Hurricane Relief project started by Jenna (the board's webmistress) in the wake of Hurricane Katrina's devastation. Read about and purchase the novel here: http://www.storiesofstrength.com (http://www.storiesofstrength.com/) or visit the 'Stories of Strength' Message Board - a sub-forum of 'Office Party'

9. MS - Abbreviation for 'manuscript'

10. SF - Abbreviation for the 'Science-Fiction'/'Sci-Fi' genre

So very helpful.

Turtle07
05-27-2007, 06:34 AM
g2g- got to go

Didn't see this yet. Decided to add it for some random reason. :D

brutus
05-31-2007, 08:47 PM
m

brutus
05-31-2007, 08:48 PM
m

benbradley
07-13-2007, 05:26 AM
OP - Original Poster (person who started the thread)
OP can also mean Original Post, the first post in a thread.

Duhhhhhh.....

Just figured it out. TNR is Times New Roman. Same font I use in my WIP.

Oh well...........
So, C12 is a font, and NOT an explosive???

RLB
07-13-2007, 05:32 AM
SFW/NSFW = safe for work/not safe for work

I puzzled that one out all by myself today. Yeah, I'm that good.

Soccer Mom
07-13-2007, 06:54 AM
So, C12 is a font, and NOT an explosive???

No. No, it's an explosive. I'm certain of it. Buncha anarchists round here, ya know.

Jo
07-13-2007, 12:35 PM
MG--Middle Grade (children's fiction)

PB--Picture Book (children's fiction)

ottorino
10-07-2007, 10:03 AM
OAD - Oily Anal Discharge

benbradley
11-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Ahem. This one bears repeating:

While I'm here:

TLA - Three Letter Acronym (of which, "TLA" is an example)
FLA - Four Letter Acronym (of which, "FLA" is NOT an example)

Acronym originally meant a WORD made up of the initial letters of other words (the canonical example being laser), but its use has been abused expanded to also mean initialism, any sequence of letters made from the initial letters of a sequence of words.

sassandgroove
11-02-2007, 08:01 PM
LOL- laugh out loud

SO- significant other

DH- darling husband

DW- darling wife

DD-darling daughter

DS- darling son

BTW- By the way

lots of others, but I can't remeber anymore just now
Not that it matters, but I always read those and Dear Hubby, etc.

ALSO,

You gotta be careful with OP, it can mean Original Poster, Original Post, or Office Party.

jamiehall
12-04-2007, 08:08 PM
I've noticed the proliferation of "diddo" (meaning "ditto") after this plagiarism scandal (http://www.nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/009448.html) popularized it (see highlighted "diddo" from the google cache (http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:SZGox27AxY0J:www.nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/009448.html+diddo+site:nielsenhayden.com)).

Silver King
12-20-2007, 02:41 AM
This most helpful thread has found a new home in the FAQ forum.

FennelGiraffe
12-20-2007, 10:18 AM
The masochistic fool that I am, I copied all the definitions from this thread into a single list, standardized the format, and alphabetized it. (Also added a few.)

<3 - heart or love
143 - I love you
AAR - Association of Authors' Representatives
afair - as far as i remember/recall
Atlanta Nights - A writing project by a group of writers (many from the Absolute Write boards) set into motion to expose PublishAmerica's flawed manuscript submission process. Read about and purchase the 'novel' here: http://www.lulu.com/content/102550
AW - Abbreviation for the name of the boards (Absolute Write)
BFF - Best friend forever
BFFE - Best friend forever
BIC - 'Butt-In-Chair;' A method of writing involving sitting down at a desk to write and not moving until the words start to flow (or until you go crazy)
BRB - Be right back (usually used in chatrooms)
BTW - By the way
C12 - Courier 12. See monospaced font
Cat hoovering - see cat vacuuming
Cat vacuuming - completely pointless procrastination
Cat waxing - see cat vacuuming
DD - darling/dear daughter
DH - darling/dear husband
diddo - ditto, after this plagiarism scandal (http://www.nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/009448.html) popularized it (see highlighted "diddo" from the google cache (http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:SZGox27AxY0J:www.nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/009448.html+diddo+site:nielsenhayden.com)).
DS - darling/dear son
DW - darling/dear wife
ETA - Edited to Add.
fixed pitch font - see monospaced font
FWIW - For what it's worth
FYI - For your information
g2g - got to go (usually used in chatrooms)
HOL - Ray's House of Love Party thread on the Take it Outside board
IANAL - I am not a lawyer.
IDK - I don't know
IIRC - If I Remember (or Recall) Correctly
IMDB - Internet Movie DataBase
IMHO - In my humble opinion
IMNSHO - In my not-so-humble opinion
IMO - In my opinion
IRC (1) - International Reply Coupon (used in lieu of stamps).
IRC (2) - Internet Relay Chat
JIT - Just in time
JMO - Just my opinion
1337 - a writing system which uses various combinations of alphanumerics to replace proper letters. From "elite".
l33t - see 1337
leet - see 1337
LOL - laugh out loud
LOLCAT - system of spelling based on how cats would spell if they could write, usually used as titles for humorous pictures. See I Can Haz Cheezburger (http://icanhascheezburger.com/).
MC - Main Character (as opposed to Master of Ceremony)
MG - Middle Grade (children's fiction)
PB - Picture Book (children's fiction)
monospaced font - a font such as Courier, Pica or Prestige which resembles typewriter printing and in which each letter is the same width. If a publisher's guidelines do not specify a font, play it safe and print your manuscript with a monospaced font like Courier at 12 points (10 characters per inch).
MS - Abbreviation for 'manuscript'
Mss - manuscripts
mtfbwy - may the force be with you
MW - Maestrowork
NaNo WriMo - National Novel Writing Month
NEPAT - Abbreviation for the 'Neverending PublishAmerica Thread' located in the 'Bewares and Background Check' Board
Nine and Sixty - Kipling, "There are nine and sixty ways/ Of constructing tribal lays/ And every single one of them is right."
NM - Not much
NSFW - not safe for work, also see SFW
OP (1) - the Office Party forum
OP (2) - Original Poster (person who started the thread)
OP (3) - Original Post, the first post in a thread.
ORPCC - Obsessive Rep Point Checkers' Club, a rep sharing thread in Office Party
OT - off topic
OTOH - On the other hand
PA - Abbreviation for the publisher: 'PublishAmerica'
PDF - portable document file - a file format viewed with Adobe Reader (http://www.adobe.com/) (admittedly not the best explanation so if someone else wants to elaborate).
PIMP - generally attached to ROFL or ROFLMAO. It mean peeing in my pants.
POA - pays on acceptance
POP - pays on publication
POV - Point of view
proportional font - a font like Times New Roman, Georgia, Garamond or Book Antiqua in which the width of each character varies, i. e.: the letter i is narrower than the letter w. Suitable for cover or query letters but not manuscripts unless a publisher specifies it. If so, use Times New Roman at 12 points.
query - a one-page single-spaced letter (use Times New Roman, 12 point) summarizing your project to a publisher or agent. If you can't sell your story in three or four paragraphs, your writing might be just as flabby.
ROFL - Rolling on the floor laughing
ROFLMAO - Rolling on the floor laughing my tushy off
SAE - stamped addressed envelope, generally used outside the US, also see SASE
sample chapters - the FIRST THREE chapters (or as many as the publisher requests) of your manuscript. Sending any other three smacks of some sort of cover-up.
SASE - self-addressed stamped envelope, US usage, also see SAE
SF - 'Science-Fiction'/'Sci-Fi'/'Speculative Fiction'
SFF - Science Fiction and Fantasy
SFW - safe for work, also see NSFW
SO - significant other
SOS - Abbreviation for 'Stories of Strength' - Absolute Write's Hurricane Relief project started by Jenna (the board's webmistress) in the wake of Hurricane Katrina's devastation. Read about and purchase the novel here: http://www.storiesofstrength.com (http://www.storiesofstrength.com/) or visit the 'Stories of Strength' Message Board - a sub-forum of 'Office Party'
sp - spelling. Usually used when someone isn't sure of his/her spelling of a word, like: "I read this great book by Bob Hirdensheiler (sp?)."
SYW - Share your work forum
TAT - turnaround time (amount of time someone waits from submission to acceptance/rejection)
TIO - the Take it Outside board
TLA - Three Letter Acronym (of which, "TLA" is an example)
FLA - Four Letter Acronym (of which, "FLA" is NOT an example)
TNR - Times New Roman. See proportional font
Travis Tea - Pseudonym of the group of writers behind 'Atlanta Nights.' If you know about the 'Atlanta Nights' project, I'm sure you'll appreciate the humor behind the author name chosen - that is, if you say it fast enough
ty - thank you
tyvm - thank you very much
UJ - Uncle Jim - James D. Macdonald (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?userid=10) (I know this one might seem obvious, but if you're a newbie or don't frequent the same forums that he does, you might not know, and he is mentioned quite often around here.)
variable pitch font - see proportional font
WIP - Work in Progress
WIR - Work in Revision
WNIP - Work Not in Progress
WPR - the weekend progress report, over in the humour section.
WTF - what the **ck
YA - Young Adult (fiction)
YMMV - Your mileage may vary
YW - You're welcome

brianm
12-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Excellent work, FG. Thank you.

Aramis
12-20-2007, 06:31 PM
And now that the list is compiled... I have one more to add.

This one took me the longest time to figure out; I actually had to Google it.

FennelGiraffe
12-21-2007, 02:18 AM
And now that the list is compiled... I have one more to add.

This one took me the longest time to figure out; I actually had to Google it.

Added

Silver King
12-21-2007, 02:33 AM
Can I suggest one?

A lot of folks here may not know what ORPCC means, which stands for Obsessive Rep Point Checkers' Club, a rep sharing thread in Office Party. A number of members carry a link in their sig lines with ORPCC present, so it might deserve a reference in the dictionary.

And I vote that FennelGiraffe should become the official keeper of the AW Dictionary. :)

brianm
12-21-2007, 08:39 AM
Run and don't look back, FG. Next thing you know, you'll be serving coffee and donuts in the mod's lounge. They're sneaky that way.

IceCreamEmpress
12-21-2007, 09:07 AM
I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.

-- Jorge Luis Borges

I have always imagined that Limbo will involve the endless updating of a lexicon.

-- IceCreamEmpress

FennelGiraffe
12-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Can I suggest one?

A lot of folks here may not know what ORPCC means, which stands for Obsessive Rep Point Checkers' Club, a rep sharing thread in Office Party. A number of members carry a link in their sig lines with ORPCC present, so it might deserve a reference in the dictionary.

And I vote that FennelGiraffe should become the official keeper of the AW Dictionary. :)

Hmmph. I didn't know what ORPCC was, but OK.

Run and don't look back, FG. Next thing you know, you'll be serving coffee and donuts in the mod's lounge. They're sneaky that way.

That's what I'm afraid of! :tongue

benbradley
12-27-2007, 10:39 PM
And a couple more from general online use that may not be obvious:

IM - Instant Message or Instant Messaging. This can either be text messages between cell phones, or chat-like messages/real-time discussions between computers on the Internet through programs/services freely available through AOL and Yahoo.

AIM - AOL Instant Messaging, as described in IM.

Chrisla
06-15-2008, 06:40 AM
I'm a newbie, and I'm not sure what "creative non-fiction" means. Can anybody elaborate?

lisake
06-21-2008, 04:55 AM
OK, I sure I'm going to feel really stupid about this when I find out the answer, but I have to ask...

What's a beta (in regards to writing)?

dpaterso
06-21-2008, 11:21 AM
OK, I sure I'm going to feel really stupid about this when I find out the answer, but I have to ask...
What's a beta (in regards to writing)?
You've maybe had various individual chapters critiqued and you've edited your epic masterpiece to the best of your ability -- now it's time for someone to read the entire novel and see whether it flies. That someone is your beta reader.

-Derek

lisake
06-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Thank you, Derek. So glad to finally know that.

Chrisla
07-18-2008, 09:28 AM
Okay, I found out what creative non-fiction is. Now can anybody enlighten me about noir fiction?

dropsofjup2
07-19-2008, 12:28 AM
I don't know noir fiction, sounds French to me but, does anyone know what content writing is?

Soscen Felix
06-26-2009, 08:44 AM
tbh - to be honest

Clair Dickson
06-26-2009, 08:54 AM
Okay, I found out what creative non-fiction is. Now can anybody enlighten me about noir fiction?

Noir fiction typically refers to stories that are dark, gritty, and, by definition, do not end "happily ever after." Many end abiguously, while others end badly for the protagonist.

It's most often used in crime and mystery writing. Or at least that's my understanding of it.

dropsofjup2
06-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks, Claire for helping me understand noir fiction and it's use. :) I find fiction like jokes has an element of truth in it, whether one is open to accept it or not, it is easier taken with a grain of salt or in a jokes case, with a "teaspoon of sugar." ;)

justann
01-08-2010, 11:54 PM
What's NaNo??????

Chrisla
01-08-2010, 11:59 PM
What's NaNo??????

Short for NANOWRMO (National Novel Writing Month) held every November. Everybody tries to write a 50,000 word novel between midnight on October 31 and midnight November 30. The intent is to rid yourself of the inner editor and just write.

sadiemay
01-14-2010, 12:31 AM
How about SNIs?

Chris P
02-04-2010, 07:01 PM
It seems to refer to the person who originated the thread. Oh, original poster, perhaps?

cray
02-04-2010, 08:17 PM
It seems to refer to the person who originated the thread. Oh, original poster, perhaps?

yep.

or sometimes it may refer to the "office party" section of aw.

Elisabeth Bruce
02-06-2010, 02:45 PM
I fell in here by accident - first day here. I love this place!

Gedaechtnis
02-10-2010, 04:46 AM
An obvious one that for some reason isn't present!
MC: Main character.
(After having to explain this to by friend, I'll believe anything, acronym-comprehension-wise.)
AWWCF: Absolute Write Water Cooler Forums, for the people who think AW looks funny and anything with WC in a prominent position also looks funny when posted on their facebook page.

poetinahat
02-11-2010, 06:33 AM
Or, sometimes, the first post itself - the Original Post.

Insana D
04-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Boy Howdy, you folks have some doozies! I thought I'd been around enough to know a ton of acronyms and the lingo of discussion boards but it appears I'm still mostly a virgin in such matters. This is like reading Cosmo and finding out how the good stuff gets done. I tend to type whole words but if ya'll are happier with the abbrv. I'll try to adapt. I'm a bit embarassed to admit that I DO NOT TEXT. I did put a post it note on my daughters phone that said, "I lv u qt pi". That's as close as I got.

Every time I finally learn a new technology I find out it's old and not in use anymore. My HS sterling scholar book was made with one of the first photocopiers and we'd just gotten electric typewriters my senior year. I thought that was cutting edge. If I make room for new technology in my brain I'll have to jettison something old and I can't quite give up on my mimeograph expertise without a sense of longing. Please be patient with me or I'll jab you with my cane.

Insana D
04-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Ok, I started with ten reputation points and now I have eleven. Fess up, someone read my comment somewhere. I wanna know who done it and if it's going to happen again. Don't make me get the wooden spoon.

Zoealea
04-07-2010, 02:03 AM
FNW- Friday Night Writes

Medievalist
04-07-2010, 03:12 AM
Ok, I started with ten reputation points and now I have eleven. Fess up, someone read my comment somewhere. I wanna know who done it and if it's going to happen again. Don't make me get the wooden spoon.

You can look at the actual comments (which are more important than the points) in your CP. Click the link on the top left where it says User CP. You'll see who left a comment, and what it says.

Also, read the Newbie's Guide. Seriously, you'll do better if you read this:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66315

Insana D
04-07-2010, 07:15 PM
Thankyou Midievalist! I finally figured that out just now and now you told me so it's a second confirmation. Almost like a spiritual experience or something. I've had a very poor reputation in so many things in life so it's good to come here and at least get a little approval at first. Reflects that people don't know me well enough yet though. Just you wait, another week or so and the rep points will drop dramatically. I cuss a lot.

Chrixzy5
09-06-2010, 01:19 PM
HEA- Happily ever after
HFN- Happy for now

Whats an SNI?

Gray.Starr x3
11-02-2010, 01:57 AM
thanks !
you have no idea how long I've been trying to decode WIP
And i find BIC to be extremely hilarious for some reason...

GinnyStar
11-02-2010, 02:48 AM
Thanks for something I'm trying to explain why I have a hard time reading font/print.
ATM--At the Moment, something like what I'm working on right now.

proportional (or variable pitch) font - a font like Times New Roman, Georgia, Garamond or Book Antiqua in which the width of each character varies, i. e.: the letter i is narrower than the letter w.
, and here is my two cents on this when its in Italic style of font its even harder to read for its so thin.

For what its worth: Braille also has the same size cell six dot 123 down 456 and combination of about I'm not real too sure, also for some computer based work they add two more dots to make it eight cell code. Its just something I thought I pass on to you.

zaib
01-13-2011, 01:11 AM
good to know what the AW specific abbreviations are for! Thanks

AW Admin
02-18-2011, 11:08 PM
SNI = Sneaky Shiny New Idea

stormie
02-19-2011, 12:03 AM
QFT = quoted for truth

wheelchere
04-04-2011, 02:04 AM
This was helpful thank you

Kenpoclimber
04-16-2011, 04:32 AM
Thanks, this will come in handy for a noob like me =P

Lehcarjt
05-13-2011, 09:57 AM
Why do so many people have 'Practical Experience, FTW' under their names? I figure that FTW = For the Win. Does this mean that these people are published? Or what?

MacAllister
07-01-2011, 08:06 AM
It means they've been here long enough to bump into the next user-group level, which comes with the default user-title, until people get around to changing their user titles to something of their own choosing. :)

MilkNCookies
12-26-2011, 04:58 AM
I had to google WIP. Am I stupid or what... *facepalm >.<*

(For those who don't know, WIP = Work In Progress DX)

zanzjan
12-26-2011, 05:33 AM
I had to google WIP. Am I stupid or what... *facepalm >.<*

(For those who don't know, WIP = Work In Progress DX)

There's also:
WIR - work in revision, and
WIS/WOS - work in/on submission

...although I see those less than WIP.

Billtrumpet25
04-11-2012, 01:51 AM
ETA - Edited to Add.

Thank you. I've been wondering about that ever since I got here.

Medievalist
04-11-2012, 02:17 AM
Thank you. I've been wondering about that ever since I got here.

Didja see this?

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241878

shadowmaster13
06-16-2012, 12:24 PM
H/h Hero/heroine

Question, what does trunked mean in reference to a ms?

Sophia
06-16-2012, 01:37 PM
When writers wrote mostly on either typewriters or by hand, they would accumulate pages when writing a story. If they decided they no longer wanted to work on that story, or didn't want to send it out to agents or publishers any longer, they would take the pages and put them away in a trunk (or drawer, or box...).

It refers to any story that you have intentionally left sitting untouched on your hard drive (or have put away in a trunk, drawer, box...) and which will likely not be worked on again for a long time, if ever.

BigWords
06-16-2012, 03:13 PM
You'll also find some references here and there to "trunk novels", published (usually) after the death of the author. Some are to be avoided at all cost, but there are decent examples of this if you look hard enough.

shadowmaster13
06-18-2012, 02:51 PM
When writers wrote mostly on either typewriters or by hand, they would accumulate pages when writing a story. If they decided they no longer wanted to work on that story, or didn't want to send it out to agents or publishers any longer, they would take the pages and put them away in a trunk (or drawer, or box...).

It refers to any story that you have intentionally left sitting untouched on your hard drive (or have put away in a trunk, drawer, box...) and which will likely not be worked on again for a long time, if ever.

You'll also find some references here and there to "trunk novels", published (usually) after the death of the author. Some are to be avoided at all cost, but there are decent examples of this if you look hard enough.

Thanks! I suspected something like this from the context of the words, but I wanted to be sure.

CJ.Wolfe
08-01-2012, 06:36 AM
What's mum? I saw something in the SF area where someone said should I just leave it mum... or something along those lines. Apparently background info = mum... I can't work it out :P

Sophia
08-01-2012, 12:39 PM
What's mum? I saw something in the SF area where someone said should I just leave it mum... or something along those lines. Apparently background info = mum... I can't work it out :P

It's an English expression that means to keep something to yourself. :)

BigWords
08-01-2012, 01:49 PM
There are a few propaganda posters from the Ministry Of Information from in the second world war which promoted the phrase, so it is probably better known through them (and references to those posters in popular culture and art) than from the original source. Not sure of the etymology of the phrase, but someone will undoubtedly pop up with an answer on that front.

onesecondglance
08-01-2012, 02:22 PM
I always understood that the idea of "keeping mum" was to respond to conversations about the war with "mmm" - i.e. a non-response to end discussion. It was a neat little PR campaign.

Jbecker
08-18-2012, 05:28 AM
What does PM mean?

Medievalist
08-18-2012, 07:27 AM
What does PM mean?

Personal Message. The software that runs the Water Cooler allows you to send short messages to members; it's a bit like a private email system.

You can configure PM settings, and send them (or read those you've received) from your User CP in the top left of the AW page.

mugwort
08-18-2012, 08:01 AM
Very interesting, informative thread here. Learned some new AW terms and how to be a better writer.

benbradley
08-18-2012, 08:32 AM
R&R (or R+R or R and R) = Rewrite and Resubmit

Sikateh
08-22-2012, 01:27 AM
oh! this is MOST helpful! I was just wondering about all them letters!! ahh eureka! Thank you!!

August Talok
08-27-2012, 05:36 AM
Thanks for posting this E.G. Now I can act like I know what I'm talking about.