smoke damage from house fire/NO SMOKE!

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In this case it's not really a house fire, but a forest fire. The community where my Dad's home of 40 years is located is still under evacuation orders for this fire. But at some point, assuming we dodge the bullet of the fire, we will be able to go back. Due to how close the fire has already been (within 3-5 miles) I am assuming everything will smell of smoke. Clothes, carpets, drapes, furniture, mattresses, bed linens, towels, you name it.

Anyone have knowledge of how those restoration outfits go about cleaning everything up? Keeping in mind that we are in a rural area and another 4K-5K homes will have suffered the same damage.

MM

Last edited:

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Contact their insurance company. Doing anything without their permission can cause problems on claims for damages. Further, they may have guidelines on do-it-yourself approaches as well as contacts you can use.

The Red Cross may have information and I also would assume that the State is going to have information. A good basic guideline is Handling Smoke Damage after a Fire – Getting Soot and Smoke Out.

When you return, do not walk on any carpets that you want to save. You'll grind the ashes right into them and never get them out. Cardboard placed on top of them may provide some protection.

Realize that the whole area is going to smell of smoke for months to come.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Jim. The house is pretty well sealed, winter temps get in the -15 to -20 range, and they lived there year round for 10 years. I'm hoping there is nothing but smoke. When they start talking about letting people back in, I'll call the insurance company.

MM

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
No, call the insurance company now. Everybody will be trying to call when they can get back in. Get ahead of the pack.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
No, call the insurance company now. Everybody will be trying to call when they can get back in. Get ahead of the pack.

I would second this.

Also, the advice further up about not touching anything until you have spoken to the insurance people. The last thing you want to do is somehow invalidate your claim.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I was in a house fire three years ago.
A company, paid for by the insurance co, will come to the home and remove everything, including appliances. They will throw out all food products and bathroom products, then take everything else and clean it. The items are cleaned in various ways, depending on what the items are. There are dry rooms for items that can't be washed like appliances, certain furniture items, etc. Clothing/shoes/accessories are usually dry-cleaned or washed in special detergents. They are then folded, and stored until they can be returned to the home or a new home. Photographs and media type items are also cleaned, if necessary one by one. Electronics are cleaned and tested, too.
When you're ready to move back home, you call a few days before and arrange for the items to be delivered. In some cases the people who return the items will arrange the items, hang the clothes etc, but they usually don't unpack boxes.
In my case, the clothing was taken by one company and the furniture by another. The service was excellent.
My fridge didn't work well afterwards, it wouldn't cool down enough. The cleaners said it worked fine and that my landlord had to replace. The landlord said it worked fine before and the cleaners had to replace. In the end, the cleaners replaced, not because they had to, but because I was stuck and they felt bad for me (and I was super-duper nice to them and complimentary on their service ;)).

Things that were tossed: make-up, all food/spices/condiments, all soap/shampoo/cleaning products/deodorant/perfume, contact lenses.

Things that should have been tossed: about 300 pens that had rolled under furniture, 200 which did not work :D and about 75 fake cat toy mice that didn't fare well under cleaning :D.

There were some items that couldn't be cleaned---mattresses, a love seat/sofa, pillows. The cleaning company returned them (but took them away when I said I didn't want them) and the insurance company reimbursed the items.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Something you should be aware of is that fire smoke can turn plastic into a toxic substance. If you handle a great deal of it, it can be absorbed into the skin, but the big danger is having it on your skin then touching your mouth, nose, eyes, etc and get into your system. When we had the housefire in '96, that was the biggest problem. Books & clothes can be put through izonized chambers and be fixed, but plastic can't.

Good luck to your family.

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the good advice. As of today they are saying they may allow the community to go back to their homes in about 5 more days. The fire is still too close, and too much smoke.

Once they lift the evacuation order I'll see what our closest neighbor has to say about how much smoke got into the houses.

We don't have a lot of plastic, mostly things like glad storage boxes for the fridge/freezer. It won't break the bank to just get rid of all of them and start over.

The acreage count is currently at 452,000+. That is over 706 sq miles. Three fires currently burning in AZ have a combined total of over 1050 sq miles. That is larger than the state of Rhode Island.

The bad news is that there is only 10% containment in our fire, and it is not in the area close to us, we are zero %. The good news is that there are only a few minor injuries and around 60 buildings lost. 46 (22 cabins and 24 out buildings) of those are in our community, but 5-7 miles from our house, but nothing lost since Wed night.

I am starting to feel confident that our house will not be lost, but am truly concerned about the smoke issue.

Thanks for your continued prayers for eastern AZ.

MM

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Hey Mary--

Whatever you do, be sure to take a camera along--video camera is good too--and document everything you find from the moment you open the door. fortunately, it sounds like the fire stayed far enough away that you don't have to deal with water damage--which is good--but having multiple sources of film documentation will help you immeasurably in any negotiations. The day after the car wreck that screwed up my back, we went and took pictures from every angle of the restaurant exit where we were hit.

Thank God, because the next week, the owners cut back the overgrown bushes and added a stop sign. When their attorneys tried to bring that up in court, we had photographic evidence, time-stamped because we brought still from a video camera, that ultimately cost them the case.

I'm so thankful you and yours are still safe. You take care--

Celina

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Good idea to document with video and pictures. My insurance company (State Farm) never asked for documentation because they had too many other claims in other parts of the country due to flooding and wildfires, so you might not need it, especially if your claim is relatively small.

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Be cautious and keep an eye on everything the restorers do. When my parents' house got struck by lightning nine years ago, they sent a restoration company out to take care of everything---but they didn't have a clue what they were doing. They tossed all garments into an industrial washing machine and dryer with super-high heat, without paying attention to the clothes' care instructions. Ruined a bunch of clothes, including my wedding veil, and my little sister's flower girl dress! Melted the tulle! They almost did the same with my grandmother's antique wedding dress, but my mother saw them take it, and grabbed it right back. I guess they were in a rush and just wanted to get the job done quickly, but they ended up having to replace a bunch of stuff themselves, because they ruined it out of carelessness.

I'd suggest that you ask questions about what they're going to do with the stuff before you let them take it away, just to be safe. Especially if it has high sentimental value to you.

MaryMumsy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They finally allowed residents back into my Dad's development today, two weeks after the evacuation. We spoke on the phone with our closest neighbor and he said they had no smoke in their house. So it is likely there is none in ours either. He will check our house tomorrow.

:snoopy::snoopy::snoopy:
Huge sigh of relief!

MM

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
The effect of a fire outside a house is very different to one inside. How much smoke that penetrates the house will depend on how well (or badly) it is ventilated. For one that is closed up, it is only small particles that will get in (no ash) - all to do with turbulent deposition in the ventilating orifice. The things to look out for are not dirty carpets (which are difficult to spot) but dirty windows on the inside (if they are very dirty then the chances are the house will need redecorating - and the curtains/carpets cleaning). You won't smell the smoke afterwards, but rather the volatile organics associated with it. That might be because they penetrated the house separately or because they are being revolatilised from deposited smoke particles. So it's worth having a good sniff around as well.