Query letter length?

Ambitious

If you're sending a query letter to an agent, can the letter be really short (like under 50 words) and still attract the agents and leave them wanting you to send chapters of your finished novel?

I've been working on a query letter for a 45000 word crime thriller I've written and the query letter for it is about 50 words long, shows the agent what it's about and aims to intrigue them. I'm debating whether or not I'm ready to contact an agent as I'm aware getting work published isn't easy.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
If 50 words is all you need to convey the plot, character and tone, then go for it. My best response tally came from a query that was around 85 words, so it's definitely doable.

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
You realize most people would envy you for being able to do this, right? I've been toiling on my query for 3 months. Twenty-four revisions so far. Current one 194 words. If you think you've got yours ready to go, more power to you. Slap a personalized intro on that sucker and submit. And good luck!

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
If your query letter is professional and gets the point of your story across in 50 words, more power to you. :D I'm not sure if I could do it.

From what I understand, 45,000 is too few words for a crime thriller, and novel word count starts at 50,000.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Although the problem is more usual on the other end (long word count = long query), I'm concerned here that the short query reflects what may be a lack of development in the book. In other words, the query may be so short because there's nothing in the book to work with.

If I was an agent, I'd need a standout query to balance the word count problem. If the query comes up a bit short, then I'd assume the book comes up short as well.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I sent out a query over the weekend, and just the 'business' part of it is 55 words.:

I am a former client of <name redacted> and am seeking new representation for my middle-grade novel, <six-word title redacted> (40,000 words).

The manuscript of <six-word title redacted> is ready for submission by snail mail or electronically.

Thank you for your consideration. I look forward to hearing from you.

Honestly, I don't see how anyone could possibly write a query letter of 50 words when just the business part of it should be close to 50.

Now, if you mean the synopsis part of the query letter, as opposed to the whole thing, well, 50 words is pretty lean but might work. However, I share the concerns of others that it might reflect lack of depth in the novel itself. I'm actually pretty good at distilling a novel into a couple of paragraphs (the synopsis of my four-book YA series is 399 words!), and for the query above, the synopsis part of the letter is 167 words.