Interns: Do we love or hate them?

Archie1989

Is Published!!!
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query to the Talcott Notch Literary Agency about a month back, and a week or so ago, one of their interns emailed back requesting my full. Last week she sent me an update, saying that she was in the process of reading it and that she loved my characters so far. She was careful to say that they hadn't made a decision yet, but that she was excited to finish the book.
Now, obviously my first reaction is to be psyched beyond belief, jump up and down, and shriek in delight. However, I'm wondering if I should be a little more reserved because of the fact that she's an intern. Does it even matter if she loves the book?

Deleted member 42

Yes, it matters. Interns don't fall off trucks; they compete for the internship.

She's the first pass reader; she'll direct the agent's attention to specific aspects of the book.

So cross your fingers.

third person

She blinded me--with magic!
Registered
Reaction score
They reached the status of gatekeeper for a reason. The best ones become great agents themselves. Have faith in their skills.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It matters. Interns generally cannot say yes to a book, but they can rave about the book to the agent who can.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I would definitely love an intern who loved my book.

Archie1989

Is Published!!!
Registered
Reaction score
=] You guys just made my day. So much of what I've read about trying to get published has started to turn me into a cynic, but I'm glad that at least this good news is actually that- good news.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I sure as hell love any that might be reading my posts.....

yes, it isn't an agent, but they are hired to pre-sort for the agent. it isn't an acceptance, but it isn't the same as your mom asking for a full, either; they are the ones tossing 99% of what hits their desk.