What do you make of that hippopotamus lady on "Trading Spouses" tonight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I'm not much for reality tv. I get more than enough unscripted drama, I don't need a peephole into other people's. Still, my mum and dad have a real hard on for camera crews sliding down the rabbit hole, returning bearing wackos of all freakish stripe and unseemly feather. So, in order to bond with my brood, I watch with them. I'm bored out of my cavernous gourd, yes, but it's family time, it's supposed to be tedious.

Except for tonight, when I watched "Trading Spouses: Meet Your New Mommy," where they featured A) this retro-Cher hypnotherapist and B) that fat lady from "What's Eating Gilbert Grape?" only channeling the personality of a rabid Hampshire hog.

Good Lord: "EVERYTHING'S UNGODLY! NOW GET THE F**K OUT OF MY HOUSE, IN JESUS CHRIST'S NAME, AMEN!"

I mean, from that chasm between her upper incisors to the ultraconservativeness to that walk-out on the poor gay clairvoyant during the radio broadcast of "Love, USA" to the bout of vomiting in the yard (the highlight for my perpetually motion-sick mommy): Ugh! What a repulsing personality!

And how about all those grimly-pious gargoyles giving that innocent, good-hearted pagan lady the third degree.

Unrighteous tag team by the righteous right!

And this episode's a two-parter! I can't wait to see the climactic volcanic blast!

Kaboomsky!

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
It's not a rerun. It was the season premiere.

Optimus

Banned
Reaction score
Hmm.

Well, I watched the clip about a month ago.

Guess it leaked early.

Like I said, if you wanna watch it again, it's linked above.

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks.

It was still the premiere.

You see, though, that's the problem with this bloody technology, dudinsky: it's impossible to have the last word. These conversations on these boards hang in suspended animation for years. You could, reasonably, return to a blog war you started in 2005 in 2065, long after the opposing side has withered to must, and slip in your final, unilateral say.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My husband and I are Christians and we are embarrassed by how the "Christians" in that household represented themselves. I would run far away from that family. Something not right-eous there. We don't view pagans as scum because we were once traveled down that road. It was just wrong to treat the hypnotist that way. It's people like that who give true Christianity a bad name.

I'm sorry for the way they acted, like snobby Christains. Most of us don't act that way.

writerterri

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Is this show the same as what we call in the UK "Wife Swap"? I know they were taking it to the US, and we get the US versions over here. It's actually a very good show, unlike most reality shows. Though I can never understand th emetality of people who do that sort of thing on TV (they must be desperate!) I think there's a lot to learn from those programmes. I didn't see the show in question though.

They often show the US versions here. Last time, they showed one where a gay male couple swapped with born-again Christians who hated gays and thought they were scum. The Christian wife came away ful of admiration for the gay marriage and how they raised their daughters. I think such shows can do a lot to break down barriers and prejudices.

PS:
Ohmegod, I just watched that clip. :crazy: :faint:

Last edited:

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Lantern Jack said:
It's not a rerun. It was the season premiere.
Weird. That woman scared me to death, not to mention that Opti's thread became a wee bit hostile for about a minute & a half over it ;)

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
writerterri said:
I'm sorry for the way they acted, like snobby Christains. Most of us don't act that way.

writerterri
I didn't think she acted like a snobby Christian, if we're talking about the same woman. I thought she acted like a mental patient off her meds.

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Boy, I'm sure Fox is going to cash in on that episode! They promoted the crap out of it--I thought it was the season premiere, too. (Never watched the show before, BTW.) My husband and I watched as much as we could stand, and we turned it to "Mythbusters" about halfway through. (About the point where she was throwing up on the lawn.)

Don't they evaluate these people psychologically before agreeing to put them on TV? (Of course, maybe that's the sort of psych makeup they're looking for!)

I'm curious to know what this woman's reaction is after seeing herself behave that way on national television.
That's why I pretty much stay away from reality TV. I have enough problems, without watching someone else's.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
I usually avoid shows like that like the plague because you KNOW it's been set up to be as dramatic as possible... rather like Home Makeover, but at least you feel a bit better at the end for the families involved.

in this case I'd pack the lot off to Dr. Phil, from how it sounds...

:p

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
The British version of that show was and is excellent TV; it won prizes and is almost a service to the public; the particpants are carefully chosen, I feel, and it's more inthe nature of a social experiment.

That woman - what I saw of her on that video - pulls the whole show into disrepute.
Hmmm. And the name "Wife Swap" may not be as PC as "Trading Spouses", but has a whole lot more zing to it.

Elincoln

Official Daydreamer of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lincolnfj.com
Sheryl Nantus said:
in this case I'd pack the lot off to Dr. Phil, from how it sounds...

Dr. Phil wouldn't be able to help. The woman needs an army of priests and a lake of holy water.

Seriously, I only saw the commercial for it and I was shocked! How would she like it if someone tiraded on her for being such a b*tch infront of National TV? And you know someone in her community will when this is all done.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
writerterri said:

Terri, I don't think you need to apologize on their behalf. Most of the Christians I know show their faith by their actions and everyday deeds, rather than by browbeating others into converting.

Thankfully, I think these folks are in the minority. They're just louder than the rest of you :)

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so mad...I had to go to a birthday party and forgot to set my DVR to record it! I don't usually watch that show but I saw the commercial for it and (like a car crash) I couldn't look away! Maybe it's best that I didn't see it...what a nutcase!

Shwebb

She's the creepy-looking dude
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think she just didn't bring religion into it, unfortunately. She also made the impression that fat people are crazy and stupid, which a lot of people already believe, too.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Aruna, we have a "Wife Swap" also, and I love it. I told my husband the other night that I do enjoy it because it does seem that almost everyone who does it comes away with SOMETHING they've gained by living another life for a week. This week we had an episode with a woman who was totally SPOILED (stayed in bed until late afternoon, husband did all the cleaning, cooking, and making all the money, wifey then went out to have her hair done and shop) trade with a hard-working farm wife. I think the spoiled woman didn't learn enough, but she did learn some things, so that was good.

Last night was the first night I've watched "Trading Spouses" and I have to admit, it's because I saw that horrible clip from here. <G> (So see, it's your fault I watched this show. <G>)

I had to give the pagen man huge bonus points for his tolerance and how he went out of his way to make her feel comfortable with his prayer at dinner.

And yes, those kinds of Christians are ones who give it a black eye. Not only the vomiting woman, but that holier-than-thou one who interogated the hynotherepist and made her feel like crap. Yeah, that's a great example of Christian compassion and reaching out in LOVE. Yeah, way to convert someone, way to GO! With outreach like that, I'm sure the woman is just dying to hear the story of Christ's love for her. :Smack:

The radio show gave that woman a chance to open up a dialog - did she do that? Nope, she hurled accusations (which I suppose was better than when she just HURLED - sorry, but I really think that was a physical reaction to her getting herself all worked over things) and stormed out. Again, way to go! Yeah, that impressed all the viewers and listeners.

I sure hope that poor Brook (who is def. treated like Cinderella in that household) sure gets something good from her "new mommy." That's the part I'm really looking forward to seeing.

I also love the expressions on the family's faces when the woman has her total meltdown. I do admit to wanting to see that - but more importantly, wanting to know what happens AFTER that. Any changes in that household?

So, whoever posted that original clip last week - thanks. <G> I am now hooked on watching the rest of this train wreck unfold. <G> (I mean my thanks sincerely. I do like watching train wrecks of this sort. <G>)

Susan G.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Car Crash Syndrome

I think you folks are suffering from it. I apologise in advance, I do watch TV.
Why didn't you TURN IT OFF?!?!? I saw the previews, and although a sick part of me wanted to see it, there was no reason to feed Fox's ratings by watching that particular episode.
(Unless, of course, you are writing a horror story about psychos in the bible belt and you are researching)

Fox had every right to air the nasty thing. (Gramma said nasty things should be aired out!) But folks....why did you want to put that in your minds?!?! Everyone here is so SMART!!!! WHY!!!!!!!?????

I guess I don't have the right words to express my feelings, other than I am puzzeled ( shocked? amazed?) My daughter, ( May God, Goddess and Buddha bless her!) Turned it OFF and sat down with an Anne Rice novel. My son was working on a sociology paper, so was not 'tuned in' and I put on my headphones and wrote 1,000 words.

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Susan Gable said:
Aruna, we have a "Wife Swap" also, and I love it. I told my husband the other night that I do enjoy it because it does seem that almost everyone who does it comes away with SOMETHING they've gained by living another life for a week. This week we had an episode with a woman who was totally SPOILED (stayed in bed until late afternoon, husband did all the cleaning, cooking, and making all the money, wifey then went out to have her hair done and shop) trade with a hard-working farm wife. I think the spoiled woman didn't learn enough, but she did learn some things, so that was good.

Was that the one where the 8 year old daughter brought her breakfast in bed? Must have been - becuase th eother wife was a farm hand. Yed, that was good. But the one with the gay men was also good; I also had my questions about gay men raising two daughters, but those two certainly convinced me. They really showed up the other family; and that's what I like about the show. So Trading Spouses is a different show altogether?

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Am I the Only One?

Who wonders why L.Jack's parents would bother to watch TV when Lantern Jack's in the house?

Lantern Jack

My kitten knows kung-fu!
Registered
Reaction score
Unique said:
Who wonders why L.Jack's parents would bother to watch TV when Lantern Jack's in the house?

Actually, my parents regard me as about equal strides with Margarette Perin in regards to freakishness. They're always trying to get me to play ping-pong or watch NASCAR or "socialize" and stop "hibernating" (read: writing and reading).

You see, my parents grew up in Margarette Perin (the lardaceous crazy on last night's Trading Spouses) country. My father's father died a month before he was born, while his mother had a nervous breakdown in a car at 35 and died a ward of the state, so Dad was raised in a mud shack by his Polish grandparents, whereas my mother grew up with multiple stepfathers (her name's Peggy Lee), one of seven siblings, who were always running for the neighbor's house whenever the current daddy dearest started drinking. Admittedly, they've raised themselves up a bit in the world, but their behinds still gleam with muck.

I actually had a Margarette Perin all my own. She was a step-aunt, if there is such a thing. She had a multi-tiered chin, weighed 450 pounds, had a mustache and a beard she powdered daily and walked with two canes. She fell down once and it took two hours to get her back in her chair. She owned a lake-side cabin that all my relatives liked to frequent. They'd lock me in the cabin with her (the tv only got two channels, I was the third), then went down to the beach and all had a day-long frolick, while I spent the day conveying plates of chicken wings into her Audrey(Little Shop of Horrors reference)-sized mouth. It's a miracle I still have all my fingers.

And, by the way, falling back on my own personal experiences (read: an adolescence where an entire Southern community---my peers, my teachers, my pastor---wanted to lynch my gay @$$), Trading Spouses is the most perfect expression of woodhick ignorance and histrionics I have yet clapped eyes on.

And that woman wasn't a God warrior; she was a God sumo wrestler!

Last edited:

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
we dont' watch tv here .....have no cable for years.

But I watched the clip optimus linked 3 times.

There are no words to describe that woman. She is as scary as her Satan could ever be.

Who ever told it was ok to scream at people like that?

dont know what the show was about - per say - but i feel sorry for her family.

People like her don't confine their freakishness to TV cameras ........she probably freaks about everything.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i think it's great that we can balance our disdain for her equally between her obvious mental problems and her physical appearance.

opiate of the masses.

Status
Not open for further replies.