Sexually Transmitted Diseases?

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
I need to give my male character an STD. (what a cruel author I am) but he needs a relatively easy cure (i.e. a course of antibiotics)

I've done a simple google search and have come up with baterial ones:

Gonorrhea
Chlamydia
Syphilis

I wasn't sure on Syphilis.

Any others, or any comments on the above diseases? I want something with obvious symptoms and was leaning towards Gonorrhea? I don't mind going for something a little unusual.

(sorry rushing with a toddler who has his eyes on the computer keyboard and fingers poised to write the comment of the century - or press the off button)

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
What about Crabs? Nothing too serious and a bit of scope for comedy.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
All three of those are cured by antibiotics. Crabs and Scabies can be transmitted through 'close personal contact' - with or without sex specifically, but you have to be awfully 'intimate' with people and/or their intimate clothing to get them.

jdm

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
If you want the character to know he is ill, gonorrhea is the most likely to be recognized by the character because of the intense burning sensation when a man urinates. Most of the others don't have obvious symptoms and can be easily overlooked.

Have him get gonorrhea of the throat by having oral sex, if you want something more unusual.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I was gonna say Crabs too. I think that is a fairly curable disease. It's gross but, well it happens.

I was also thinking if this character doesn't want to say anything about it, he can get the antibiotics over the corner at the drugstore. I don't think you need a precription for it...then again I don't know these days. I only remember from what I've seen on movies or heard about. Just my 2 cents. Hope that helps.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Give him hoof and mouth...

He could have gotten it that time he mistakenly got intimate with a sheep on a dare...

Sarah Madara

Freeway stomper extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I was gonna say Crabs too. I think that is a fairly curable disease. It's gross but, well it happens.

I was also thinking if this character doesn't want to say anything about it, he can get the antibiotics over the corner at the drugstore. I don't think you need a precription for it...then again I don't know these days. I only remember from what I've seen on movies or heard about. Just my 2 cents. Hope that helps.

I'm not aware of any antiobiotics that are available over the counter, at least in the US. There is too much concern about inappropriate usage leading to more drug resistance.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Like I said in the quote, wasn't quite sure on that. They have all that yeast infection medication on the market, aren't those a form of antibiotics?

You know if you wanted to check the drugstore or ask the pharmacist just out of curiosity, I'm sure you can get info there. Or online. Don't they have like WebMD or something?

It all depends on the disease I guess as others said, there's symptoms involved too. And IF serious enough, it has to be treated only by a doctor. I don't know if this character could get away with treating it themselves.

Interesting topic though. Is this YA?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
A vet has to treat hoof and mouth, and like your normal doctor you could have patient confidentially. Maybe more so...once he stops laughing.

tarkine

Learning the trade
Registered
Reaction score
Give him hoof and mouth...

He could have gotten it that time he mistakenly got intimate with a sheep on a dare...

*guffle, laugh.. snicker.. that's funny*

It is a YA book, and he had symptoms, went to the doctor and got fixed up, but he's apprehensive about doing it again, because he really doesn't want to go through all the embarrassment again of visiting the doctor and getting it fixed..