Status
Not open for further replies.

The Grump

Hates Marketing. Loves Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mktheodoratus.com
It's me being a klutz again. I did get the upload for my free short story cleaned up. But, it's supposed to be a companion lure for my WolfSinger published story. As of now, the two are on separate pages.

How do I get the twain to meet. Or, at least get referenced to each other on the same page. I did the email box thing to ask how, but so far no one has answered me at Smashwords. -- Guess I should have said I'm talking about Smashwords here.

Which reminds me of another question. How much does Kindle charge for a free story?

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
I assume he means if they charge to post a story rather than what you pay to download it...

Should be able to incorporate links in any webpage to another and vice versa but I have no idea how smashwords works...

The Grump

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mktheodoratus.com
I now have author pages on both Smashwords and Kindle ebooks.

My stories are not posted together on Smashwords, and I don't have a clue on how to get them to appear together on my author's page. One story is published by a publisher. The other was self-published to hopefully increase the sales of the other.

I read the Kindle rules, but couldn't find the fee for posting free stories. I'd pay a set amount to get Caverns posted there, but I wouldn't pay per download ... though I don't think I'd rank very high. [I rank 500,000+/- on Smashwords with a free story. Of course that could be only among the free stories. Who knows?]

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . I read the Kindle rules, but couldn't find the fee for posting free stories. . . .
I do not believe they charge for uploading to the Kindle store. At least, I have never seen such a fee mentioned. They take a percentage of the selling price for downloaded books, and send the author the rest. (I thought the original question was facetious.)

--Ken

The Grump

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mktheodoratus.com
Maybe I'm more suspicious than others, but I can't see Kindle letting a free book being downloaded for "free". 10-20-30% of "0" is still no income for them.

Maybe I should have asked: "How much does Kindle charge the self-publisher for downloads of free books, stories or whatevers?"

It's a mute question if you have other books that sell for money. What happens when you only have one thing on Kindle, and it's free. How much do they charge you if anything?"

-- Interesting, that my real question hasn't been answered, but my real, but throw-away question got an answer. Whatever, you water cooler guys are a great resource. You all deserve rep points.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
. . . Maybe I should have asked: "How much does Kindle charge the self-publisher for downloads of free books, stories or whatevers?" . . ..
Zero. Really. Zero.

Amazon sells more Kindles when there is more content available -- good books for normal prices (ten to fifteen dollars for current books from commercial publishers) and other books for free (ranging from public-domain classics to stories offered for free by writers or the occasional freebie offered by a commercial publisher to draw readers to a series).

--Ken

John G. Hartness

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnhartness.com
Maybe I should have asked: "How much does Kindle charge the self-publisher for downloads of free books, stories or whatevers?"

Currently I am not aware of Amazon allowing people to self-publish work for the Kindle and set the price to free. In my experience I have only seen $.99 as the lowest possible threshold for pricing. When other self-published authors have had their work set to free for a time, it has happened because they set the price to free on Smashwords or some other outlet, and Amazon did a price match.

So if you want to give it away on Amazon, sell it for $.99, give it away other places, and eventually Amazon may decide to price match it to free for you. It's usually a temporary price match, but that's the only way I've seen it happen for self-pubbed work.

Carradee

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mistiwolanski.com

The Grump

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mktheodoratus.com
I can see some advantages to uploading for 0.99 ... I'm beginning to see my upload as another time suck, but at least, I only check my stats once a day. [People are downloading for free on Smashwords.]

Status
Not open for further replies.