knife fighting?

Nianne

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have a good online reference in hand-to-hand combat for the uninitiated (meaning me)?

I've got an aged military veteran in Medival France who's going to be jumped. His opponent has a knife (no specifics yet), and the POV character has nothing but a horse's hoof pick and whatever other horse paraphernalia happens to be around. The opponent is going to be younger, more slight, and more vicious a fighter.

Is a small pick even worth hanging onto in that moment? How would he hold it? Swing it? How would he definitely not hold it/swing it? Any defensive maneuvers that would be possible with that? How could he overpower his opponent?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I was born and raised in Montana. I wasn't a cowboy, just a farm kid, but I've worked some on horseback.

It's your story, and you know the situation best, but I'm surprised your character doesn't carry a knife of his own, if not a short sword. A stout knife is almost indispensable for tack repairs and other things. I wouldn't think about riding out without one.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
Don't know the situation, but if your MC got hold of a horseshoe damage would be done.

Not that I'm a violent chap or anything, but a crack on the head with a horseshoe would seem quite sore.

Regards

Whacko

Nianne

Registered
Reaction score
Hey thanks.

A couple follow-up questions.

A tack knife? That sounds great. What kind of knife would you use for leatherworking/repairs? Anything specific, or just "a stout knife?" This guy is really poor, anything nice he had he sold off a long time ago unless he could justify it as critical for his horse's care (the horse being the one thing he would never sell). He has no saddle, for example.

A horseshoe -- that could be interesting too. This guy is actually on the road when this happens. Would someone carry a spare horseshoe while travelling, like in a horse-emergency kit? Could a skilled handler replace a thrown shoe in situ?

So, anyone know anything about knife fighting? Is watching movies going to give me a reasonable idea of how they work, or a silly one?

Vaguely Piratical

Registered
Reaction score
I know nothing about knife fighting in specific but, from what I know about swordplay, movies will give you a very silly idea about how a fight works.

Reaction score
Website
amsterdamassassin.wordpress.com
If someone is really determined to do some damage with a knife, there's not much you can do. Best thing to do is to wrap something [a coat, blanket] around the non-knife arm and use that as a shield to catch the opponent's blade. Or use something like a chair to keep the opponent at more than arm's length by pinning him with the legs of the chair.

I've been in knifefights and it's close to impossible not to get cut. Even if one gets fatally stabbed, there's a distinct possibility that the attacker doesn't get away unscathed and could also die from his wounds.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Definitely don't watch movies for how to do a knife fight. Especially for the guy with the knife! No knife fighter lifts their arm into the air to stab someone with a downward thrust. Just doesn't happen. Mainly because it exposes him to counter-attack.

Knife fights tend to be close up. Which is why AA is right. Keep the guy with the knife as far away as possible.

Nianne

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Ultimately I want the guy to be able to de-escalate the situation without anyone being seriously hurt, so it's good to know what he would really be thinking/worrying about before he can accomplish that.

How do you hold a knife so that the person you're facing doesn't notice it? I think I've seen on movies where the guy had it held kinda back-handed, so the blade was running behind the line of his arm, and then to use it he kinda stuck out his elbow to bring the knife forward. Is that right?

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

Ultimately I want the guy to be able to de-escalate the situation without anyone being seriously hurt, so it's good to know what he would really be thinking/worrying about before he can accomplish that.

How do you hold a knife so that the person you're facing doesn't notice it? I think I've seen on movies where the guy had it held kinda back-handed, so the blade was running behind the line of his arm, and then to use it he kinda stuck out his elbow to bring the knife forward. Is that right?

There's a style of fighting like that, but remember that it's your world. He can just have the knife concealed without you tying it to his fighting style.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
You said he had a hoof pick - which you would have in your hands if you were picking the horse's hooves. What in particular is the MC doing? WHERE is the fight taking place? On the trail? In a barn?

He might have a hoof knife handy. Razor sharp on one edge, kinda curved, no point.

He could wrap a saddle blanket over one arm to fend off the thrusts. Depending on his disposition, he could just keep avoiding the guy - OR close and grapple, which is very risky.

gan_naire

Without Shame
Registered
Reaction score
If you're going to stalk me, make it interesting a
I know someone said not to watch a movie for a knife fight scene, but the movie The Hunted, is the best and most detailed knife fighting scenes. It even shows what happens when someone lifts their arm for a downward strike, in this movie for example, the guy lifting his arm (Tommy Lee Jones) gets a knife driven through his upper arm.

Knife fighting has varied greatly through out the times. If your novel is set in Medival times, then you might look into historic figures of that time who were combatants. Most of the time there's a book or two out there that detail their style of fighting.

Otherwise, I'd say Kali and Filipeno Martial Arts are the two best knife fighting martial arts out there. As for the question about the horseshoe pick as a weapon, hell yes it can be. As for the horseshoe itself as a weapon, it'd only hurt if it was attached to something like a rope and swung violently. Otherwise a horseshoe is pretty hard to use as a weapon while either holding it in your hand and beating someone or throwing it.

Yes it'd hurt like hell, but it really wouldn't do much. A horseshoe used for the game however would do major damage, but that wouldn't be logical.

I'm sorry I can't give more advice, Medival fighting isn't something I know a lot about. Knife fighting I've trained in with military friends, not Kali, but military styled.

Guardian

just the worst honestly
Registered
Reaction score
My gut reaction was, "Whuh. Knife fights are very bad."

Just try googling "knife fight wounds" with safe search off. Actually, don't unless your stomach is made of steel. If someone wants to do damage to you with a knife, it's my belief that it's not possible to walk away without a scratch. If the opponent wants to kill your MC, and you said the opponent is vicious, then I'm afraid you're thinking of this too much like a duel. Realistically, it's going to be straight up attempts to kill.

This site was interesting and if half of what he says is true, it's worth reading http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifelies.html

I could, in a crisis, draw and deploy a knife in just over one second. ... And yet, despite this incredible rate of speed, when attacked I didn't have time to draw my knife except for the one time that I leaped wildly backwards to gain space.

As far as your attacker is concerned this is not a fight, it is an assassination.

What few people realize is that a wild defensive flailing while holding a knife, is just as dangerous and damaging as an intentional strike. In fact, it is often more dangerous because of its unpredictable nature.

All a guy has to do is cut you a few times to seriously reduce your ability to move and then wait while you bleed out.

What amazes me is that some people can talk about the damage that their knife will do to an attacker, but at the same time blurt out the old clich?of "expect to get cut" as though getting cut were only a minor inconvenience.

Knives will mess you up fast.

Reaction score
Website
This site was interesting and if half of what he says is true, it's worth reading http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifelies.html

A lot of what he says supports my earlier statements:

However, if you are dealing with anyone with any experience, street savvy or cunning, you will not be able to draw your own blade when you are attacked. Against such a person, there is just not enough time. He won't show his weapon before he attacks. That's because those who are foolish enough to brandish weapons in places where weapons are common don't live long themselves.

And I do agree with his statement that there is no 'knife fight'. I every 'knife fight' I was in, I didn't realize there was a knife involved until halfway down or even after the fight.

In other words, I was incredibly lucky to have survived some fights.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
I know someone said not to watch a movie for a knife fight scene, but the movie The Hunted, is the best and most detailed knife fighting scenes. It even shows what happens when someone lifts their arm for a downward strike, in this movie for example, the guy lifting his arm (Tommy Lee Jones) gets a knife driven through his upper arm.
First thing I thought of when I read the OP's post, The Hunted.

To the OP: Rent the movie. Oh yeah, and don't go near AmsterdamAssassin unarmed. :)

Reaction score
Website
First thing I thought of when I read the OP's post, The Hunted.

Not a 'bad' movie, but the knife fighting, while more realistic than in most movies, isn't 'real'. A real encounter with a knife wielding person who's out to kill you doesn't resemble a fight, it's more akin to a slaughter.

Oh yeah, and don't go near AmsterdamAssassin unarmed. :)

Armed or unarmed, doesn't really matter. What's more important is to maintain proper distance and not to give me any reason to become hostile.

gan_naire

Without Shame
Registered
Reaction score
If you're going to stalk me, make it interesting a
The movie is still the best knife fight sequences I've ever seen. What makes the movie interesting is you see what a knife expert can do to someone (even when they have a gun) who isn't experienced with knives. But it's also pretty good because you see what an experienced knife fighter can do up against another experienced knife fighter. Makes for a damn good movie.

As for realism, it's always simple, put a weapon of any kind in the hands of someone who is either experienced, desperate to live, or just bat sh*t crazy, and the odds against the other person living or walking away unscathed drop dramatically. Even if one of them has a gun, a person who can throw a knife underhanded or even sideways, can still have the upper hand.

But that's the beauty of fiction, it doesn't have to be proven by professionals or scientists to make sense, you just have to make it believable. One of the funniest things I've read where someone was killed was by the guy being hit over the head with a typewritter. Dead serious. It sounds like something one could survive, not walk away from, but still be able to survive. But the way it was told in the book, made it obvious to the reader that it was a fatal blow and the guy died then and there.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One of the funniest things I've read where someone was killed was by the guy being hit over the head with a typewritter. Dead serious. It sounds like something one could survive, not walk away from, but still be able to survive.

I dunno. Every typewriter fight I've been in -- every single one of 'em -- has been fatal. The key is to keep tabs on your opponent, shift a lot, and give him no backspace.

Last edited:

Nianne

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much everybody! I will definitely rent the movie.

Some more details for those that were interested:

The guy is actually fleeing before an invasionary army, at night, through a forest that's going to have bandits in it. He's got nothing but an old horse and somewhat traumatized teenage daughter in tow. They have a sack with some food and another with an assortment of "horse stuff."

So, when he does get ambushed, getting out of it is going to come down mostly to his ability to talk his way out of it, but what I was thinking of, was:

1) When he enters the forest, he's thinking about his "horse stuff" and looking at the potential for improvised weapons there, if needed, and

2) When it does come to a confrontation, what is he really afraid of? The idea I'm getting from this thread is: don't let the crazy-looking guy with a knife into range.

GregS

Registered
Reaction score
There are no shortages of medieval fighting treatise on line and I would encourage you to at least glance at some of them. The style of combat in the middle ages was impressive and elaborate--frequently in ways most people don't realize. It's soooo much cooler than how it looks in most movies.

Many of the treatise have knife techniques, and others demonstrate postures and defenses that would work with knife as well as sword. Off the top of my head, I know both Joachim Meyer and Hans Talhoffer have significant dagger sections in their treatise, and both are available on-line with a simple search. You can also order excellent translations of them in print (I can make recommendations, if you'd like).

If I was at home I could give you a bunch of links. PM me if you want them or want me to post them here. Google will show you most of them, though.

If you have specific questions feel free to holler at me. I've been studying that stuff for a long time.

You can also head over to Sword Forum International and ask around there. There's a giant medieval combat section.

G