Some good news after a sea of rejections

Status
Not open for further replies.

kibkid

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone, some of you might know me from other posts where I whined about being rejected over and over. Finally I seem to get a break in the writing business. Today I got an acceptance from the New Yorker regarding a story I had sent them about 9 months ago! I thought they had forgotten.
And I was also hired by my University newspaper to write on their "Features" section!
So yes I am feeling pretty good today about my writing life.

The reason I post this here is because once when I was very sad about being rejected by another magazine, and I was wandering about in here, I saw one thread about someone getting an acceptance letter. That made me very happy and helped me not to lose hope. I hope that now I can do the same for any of you who might have gotten a recent rejection. Take care friends!

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
:Clap: Good for you!

kibkid

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all. But to be honest I am happier about the newspaper thing, because that is a steady writing job. :)

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
kibkid said:
Thank you all. But to be honest I am happier about the newspaper thing, because that is a steady writing job. :)

Are they paying you? With a New Yorker credit, why don't you pitch to some bigger outlets?

kibkid

Registered
Reaction score
Sassenach said:
Are they paying you? With a New Yorker credit, why don't you pitch to some bigger outlets?

No the University is not paying me because the newspaper is free. And about pitching to bigger outlets, yes I will keep writing and sending my work to magazines. If you mean will I look for a job on bigger outlets? Well, I don't know about that. I am a third year Computer Science student which leaves me little time to write. Perhaps during the summer.

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
What is it that you sold to the NY'er, and when is it expected to appear?

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder what happened to kibkid. Trying not to be suspicious, but I can't help wondering about the New Yorker sale s/he claimed.

Andrew

Most of the rules gotta go...
Registered
Reaction score
Outstanding! You will have a great item to reference in your queries! I hope this is the start of a road with no boundaries for you!

kibkid

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am sorry I haven't been around to answer some of the comments. I have been busy as some of you may know that I am a University student. I have had so many assignments and midterms/exams is not even funny, plus as I said above, working for the paper.

Ok regarding Sassenach's comment on "not meaning to get suspicious". First of all you were suspicious from the get go, hence the many questions. One thing about this, I do not need to prove anything to anyone, you want to believe me fine, you don't, then fine as well.
To answer your question however, it is a story about world war one and its implication on the main character. I do not know when it will be published because I still have to work on some things the editor suggested. But I suspect that sometime next year.

Ok, now I want to thank all of those with positive comments in here, as well as those with negative comments as without criticism there can no achievements .

OK here is my article on the University paper, and yes
I am Kenneth Wenger.

article: http://theeyeopener.com/storydetail.cfm?storyid=2436

Last edited:

Sassenach

5 W's & an H
Registered
Reaction score
kibkid said:
Ok regarding Sassenach's comment on "not meaning to get suspicious". First of all you were suspicious from the get go, hence the many questions. One thing about this, I do not need to prove anything to anyone, you want to believe me fine, you don't, then fine as well.
To answer your question however, it is a story about world war one and its implication on the main character. I do not know when it will be published because I still have to work on some things the editor suggested. But I suspect that sometime next year.

Ok, now I want to thank all of those with positive comments in here, as well as those with negative comments as without criticism there can no achievements .

I'm skeptical because I'm a journalist and I know how people tend to embellish online.

If your story is sold, you have every right to be proud of yourself. It's tough as hell to get into the New Yorker,

kibkid

Registered
Reaction score
Sassenach said:
I'm skeptical because I'm a journalist and I know how people tend to embellish online.

If your story is sold, you have every right to be proud of yourself. It's tough as hell to get into the New Yorker,

Thank you, what do you think about my article?

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Interesting story, converting an old brewery into a campus facility. I enjoyed reading how its history evolves much like the way people do sometimes. Good luck with the New Yorker story, I had a nice rejection letter from them years ago.

Jon

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Anyone Submit Fiction To The New Yorker, Lately? Or Have Any Info Or Links?

the current editor is Deborah Treisman.
Open to experimental stories, she sounds cool.

ps Belated congrats to kibkid.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. You're following in the footsteps of all-time greats like Updike, Boyle, and Nabokov even. This is an amazing accomplishment.

EDIT: Yeah, the thread was created in 2005. I'm a dumbass.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.