PDA

View Full Version : Some good news after a sea of rejections

kibkid
11-03-2005, 07:00 AM
Hey everyone, some of you might know me from other posts where I whined about being rejected over and over. Finally I seem to get a break in the writing business. Today I got an acceptance from the New Yorker regarding a story I had sent them about 9 months ago! I thought they had forgotten.
And I was also hired by my University newspaper to write on their "Features" section!
So yes I am feeling pretty good today about my writing life.

The reason I post this here is because once when I was very sad about being rejected by another magazine, and I was wandering about in here, I saw one thread about someone getting an acceptance letter. That made me very happy and helped me not to lose hope. I hope that now I can do the same for any of you who might have gotten a recent rejection. Take care friends!

Perks
11-03-2005, 07:15 AM
That's fantastic! Congratulations and thanks for spreading the cheer of good news!

seaaircarol
11-03-2005, 09:07 PM
Wow! The New Yorker is huge!!!! Congrats!!!

awatkins
11-03-2005, 11:42 PM
Totally awesome!! :hooray: :Jump: :hooray:

Alphabet
11-04-2005, 05:26 AM
Congratulations, and thanks for sharing your good news.

kibkid
11-04-2005, 06:46 AM
Thank you all guys and gals for giving me hope

Sassenach
11-04-2005, 08:08 AM
The New Yorker magazine?

kibkid
11-04-2005, 08:45 AM
The New Yorker magazine?

Yeah

brinkett
11-04-2005, 04:40 PM
:Clap: Good for you!

Susie
11-06-2005, 05:20 AM
KK, that is super great! To get accepted by The New Yorker is a major accomplishment!

September skies
11-06-2005, 06:59 AM
:banana: WOW! That's great. Congratulations!

kibkid
11-06-2005, 08:19 PM
Thank you all. But to be honest I am happier about the newspaper thing, because that is a steady writing job. :)

Sassenach
11-06-2005, 11:37 PM
Thank you all. But to be honest I am happier about the newspaper thing, because that is a steady writing job. :)

Are they paying you? With a New Yorker credit, why don't you pitch to some bigger outlets?

kibkid
11-07-2005, 02:31 AM
Are they paying you? With a New Yorker credit, why don't you pitch to some bigger outlets?

No the University is not paying me because the newspaper is free. And about pitching to bigger outlets, yes I will keep writing and sending my work to magazines. If you mean will I look for a job on bigger outlets? Well, I don't know about that. I am a third year Computer Science student which leaves me little time to write. Perhaps during the summer.

Sassenach
11-07-2005, 04:04 AM
What is it that you sold to the NY'er, and when is it expected to appear?

Sassenach
11-13-2005, 10:25 PM
I wonder what happened to kibkid. Trying not to be suspicious, but I can't help wondering about the New Yorker sale s/he claimed.

dragonjax
11-15-2005, 05:42 AM
Holy cow! FABULOUS NEWS!!! :Clap:

Garbarian
11-25-2005, 08:19 AM
i think young kibkid might be pulling our leg here.

Andrew
11-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Outstanding! You will have a great item to reference in your queries! I hope this is the start of a road with no boundaries for you!

kibkid
11-30-2005, 08:16 PM
Hello everyone. I am sorry I haven't been around to answer some of the comments. I have been busy as some of you may know that I am a University student. I have had so many assignments and midterms/exams is not even funny, plus as I said above, working for the paper.

Ok regarding Sassenach's comment on "not meaning to get suspicious". First of all you were suspicious from the get go, hence the many questions. One thing about this, I do not need to prove anything to anyone, you want to believe me fine, you don't, then fine as well.
To answer your question however, it is a story about world war one and its implication on the main character. I do not know when it will be published because I still have to work on some things the editor suggested. But I suspect that sometime next year.

Ok, now I want to thank all of those with positive comments in here, as well as those with negative comments as without criticism there can no achievements .

OK here is my article on the University paper, and yes
I am Kenneth Wenger.

article: http://theeyeopener.com/storydetail.cfm?storyid=2436

Sassenach
11-30-2005, 08:52 PM
Ok regarding Sassenach's comment on "not meaning to get suspicious". First of all you were suspicious from the get go, hence the many questions. One thing about this, I do not need to prove anything to anyone, you want to believe me fine, you don't, then fine as well.
To answer your question however, it is a story about world war one and its implication on the main character. I do not know when it will be published because I still have to work on some things the editor suggested. But I suspect that sometime next year.

Ok, now I want to thank all of those with positive comments in here, as well as those with negative comments as without criticism there can no achievements .

I'm skeptical because I'm a journalist and I know how people tend to embellish online.

If your story is sold, you have every right to be proud of yourself. It's tough as hell to get into the New Yorker,

kibkid
11-30-2005, 10:34 PM
I'm skeptical because I'm a journalist and I know how people tend to embellish online.

If your story is sold, you have every right to be proud of yourself. It's tough as hell to get into the New Yorker,

Thank you, what do you think about my article?

SpookyWriter
12-01-2005, 09:33 PM
Interesting story, converting an old brewery into a campus facility. I enjoyed reading how its history evolves much like the way people do sometimes. Good luck with the New Yorker story, I had a nice rejection letter from them years ago.

Jon

Ken
10-27-2008, 09:15 PM
the current editor is Deborah Treisman.
Open to experimental stories, she sounds cool.

ps Belated congrats to kibkid.

Cybernaught
10-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Wow. You're following in the footsteps of all-time greats like Updike, Boyle, and Nabokov even. This is an amazing accomplishment.

EDIT: Yeah, the thread was created in 2005. I'm a dumbass.

smoothseas
10-27-2008, 11:06 PM
Wow! The New Yorker is huge!!!

Mazel tov!!!

Ken
10-27-2008, 11:11 PM
---> NOTE: THIS THREAD IS FROM 2005 <---

I called it up to post a question about the New Yorker magazine,
to see if anyone had any info on the mag regarding the new editor and whatnot.
Guess I should have created a new thread for the question. Sorry for the confusion.

regdog
10-27-2008, 11:39 PM
Congrats

:):hooray::snoopy::partyguy::):hooray::snoopy::par tyguy::Sun:

Cybernaught
10-27-2008, 11:46 PM
---> NOTE: THIS THREAD IS FROM 2005 <---

I called it up to post a question about the New Yorker magazine,
to see if anyone had any info on the mag regarding the new editor and whatnot.
Guess I should have created a new thread for the question. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh, well. Maybe the OP will come back and give us an update. I tried searching The New Yorker's archives but couldn't find anything that he authored.

Ken
10-28-2008, 12:54 AM
yep; I'm sure the OP won't mind the additional congrats, even though they're a wee bit late.

--------------------------

ps I found the OP where I should have posted my question about sub'ing to the New Yorker:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56949&page=4

Sorry again for the mess-up.

IceCreamEmpress
10-28-2008, 01:31 AM
Oh, well. Maybe the OP will come back and give us an update. I tried searching The New Yorker's archives but couldn't find anything that he authored.

Yes. If he has had anything published by The New Yorker, it wasn't a short story or a feature article. Perhaps he had a brief "Talk of the Town" piece about something going on in Toronto accepted? Those aren't bylined, so his name wouldn't appear in the indexes.

Cybernaught
10-28-2008, 04:57 AM
Yes. If he has had anything published by The New Yorker, it wasn't a short story or a feature article. Perhaps he had a brief "Talk of the Town" piece about something going on in Toronto accepted? Those aren't bylined, so his name wouldn't appear in the indexes.

He said in one of his posts that it was a WWI story. Crap. I was excited.