PDA

View Full Version : Rising Price of Hardbacks

gothicangel
06-10-2011, 12:21 PM
"We resist price increases for as long as we possibly can. The last time there was an increase for Martina Cole was in 2006," she said.
"Where we can, we absorb additional costs without passing them on. However, the substantial rise in the cost of paper this year has forced us to increase some of our prices by around 5%6%."

Other retailers have criticised the hardback prices in light of rising inflation and cost of living, which will have an impact on consumer spending at Christmas. Jasper Sutcliffe, senior buyer at Foyles, said: "It is indeed a shame to see publishers increasing r.r.p. in the middle of a recession, particularly as we're simply not able to match the heavy discounts they encourage. Furthermore, this level of discounting draws consumer focus to a relatively small number of new titles."

Another retailer suggested that the publisher and author "win" when the r.r.p. is set that high, because it drives up the margin and the author will earn more. He said: "Even retailers such as Waterstone's, Amazon or Smiths will do okay because they can afford to discount it. But independents will really suffer because there is no real way they can sell it."

Bookseller Sheridan Swinson, who owns Aardvark Books in Bucknell, Shropshire, said he would make "about 1" on Oliver's new title. "I have to have Jamie because my customers ask for it. I make about 1 and I just have to accept it because there is nothing I can do," he said.

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/retailers-hit-out-christmas-pricing.html

Purple Rose
06-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Good article but the news is not surprising.

I'll stick to my usual practice of waiting for the paperback version for most books. I am so glad the Harry Potter series has come to an end because my children always wanted the books as soon as they came out.

Unfortunately, i'll just have to continue forking out the extra for hardbacks from Jamie Oliver and Nigella Lawson. Cookbooks just aren't the same in paperback. Same with coffee table books on travel and architecture.

Jamesaritchie
06-13-2011, 01:07 AM
Compared to what everything else in the world costs, including video games, hardbacks seem remarkably cheap, to me.

Carrie in PA
06-13-2011, 01:28 AM
Compared to what everything else in the world costs, including video games, hardbacks seem remarkably cheap, to me.

Isn't THAT the truth. New video games are upwards of $60, and even if you wait and buy them used, most of the time they're still around $30. And they are entertaining for just about as long as a hardcover novel. :P

Linds
06-13-2011, 02:12 AM
And they are entertaining for just about as long as a hardcover novel. :P

Eh, I would disagree with this in that I get way more hours of entertainment from a video game than what it takes me to read a hardback novel. Both are entertaining in their own fashion, I'm not trying to compare on that, but for the price, to me video games are not that expensive if you end up putting 40-50+ hours into a game. It's all relative.

scope
06-13-2011, 02:18 AM
Although I feel certain that paper books will always be around (yay!) we shouldn't ignore the fact that as ebooks become more popular, and as trade publishers divert more of their energy to ebooks, fewer paper books will be published, and those that are published will simply have to command a higher retail price, and perhaps offer the retailer a smaller profit.

Susan Littlefield
06-13-2011, 08:23 AM
I love my hardcover books, both old and new. In fact, I love my books, period.

Atlantis
06-13-2011, 08:50 AM
An average hard back in Australia costs between $50 and $60 dollars in most stores. I don't like them because it is like carrying around a small brick in my handbag. I only get ones that I really want and I usually buy them off amazon for about $16 or lower. I think they should get rid of hardbacks all together.