PDA

View Full Version : The psychics and me

Marian Perera
06-10-2011, 05:27 AM
So I'm getting a Tarot card/astrology reading done tomorrow. Me, an atheist and a skeptic.

The context : On the weekend, I work at a bookstore run by a psychic. I applied for the job after seeing an ad which asked for someone to shelve books and assist customers. The ad also mentioned that applicants had to be open to the paranormal, but I think my book savviness and shelving skills either carried the day or masked my aura.

Plus, I can talk the talk if I need to - the name Queen of Swords isn't from the TV show, after all. I like reading about the Tarot cards; I just don't place any reliance in them and wouldn't dream of paying anyone for a reading.

But today the psychic called me because she was hoping to interview another psychic by having her do a reading on someone. I said that was fine by me, so we set up an appointment for tomorrow. It should be an interesting experience, too, given that my natural inclination when faced with a psychic is to put on a poker face and give out as little information as possible.

She also said I could bring along a list of questions to be asked during the reading. Hmm... the only thing on my mind right now is, "When will the literary agent who has my full get back to me, and what will she say?"

KellyAssauer
06-10-2011, 06:57 AM
My Grandmother used to read the cards, she never brought a real Tarot deck into the house, but instead used a playing card deck. I'm told that's where her habit of never looking at a dropped card came from, and it's been said many times that I should learn to read.

My Sis is a finder... so yes, sure, some of it hocus pocus, some of it is a great ability to 'read' a person, some of it is known to be a natural science (we look down & left when lying) but sometimes there really is something unexplainable going on.

Make a list of generic questions straight from one of your MC's profiles and take that with you instead of the poker face and see what happens! =)

Caitlin Black
06-10-2011, 12:32 PM
The questions I'd use, in order of preference, are:

What is the meaning of life?
What should I have for dinner?
Why are you leaving in a huff?
What did I say?

Meanwhile, I like Tarot cards, though I'm more or less a skeptic. I find the cards always seem to tell you exactly what you know you're going to hear - whether it's what you want to hear, or what you don't want to hear but know is probably right anyway.

The only time I ever use my Tarot cards (I own I think 2 sets, and some Runes, and some various other cards... I like collecting these things.) is when I'm too stubborn to listen to myself, and need something physical to focus on and point to while saying, "See, you should do X!"

JimmyB27
06-10-2011, 03:43 PM
She also said I could bring along a list of questions to be asked during the reading. Hmm... the only thing on my mind right now is, "When will the literary agent who has my full get back to me, and what will she say?"
Ask, "if you're psychic, don't you already know what I'm going to ask?"

:evil

DeleyanLee
06-10-2011, 03:58 PM
A yes or no question is very specific and doesn't allow for much of a reading, particularly if it's an "interview" like you're describing. If you can figure out a way to ask a question about your writing turning into a full-time career, you'll be more helpful to your boss.

The best questions for cards/psychics would be phrased something along the line of "Tell me about _______ ." Keeps the door open and allows the psychic to fit into whatever time-restriction given better too. ;)

Have fun with it. Personally, I always liked reading for people like you. It was the ultimate proof whether or not there's something real involved.

areteus
06-10-2011, 07:20 PM
I am always open minded about such things because I am often amazed at the abilities that humans and other animals can develop... now, don't get me wrong. I do not beleive for an instant in anything that may be construed as 'psychic powers' but I beleive in empathy and intuition - both skills humans have acquired to allow us to tell when someone is lying and to help us lie better - and the human tendancy to think in stories and I think all of these are relevant to any psychic experience. Whether they know it or not, a Tarot reader gains an impression of a person from their mannerisms - empathy - and intuits an appropriate response - intution - and then uses the cards to build a story which they think will appeal to the person. Because humans are pretty much conditioned by the memeplexes of society to beleive in stories, the majority will accept this, filling in the gaps in the story that the intuition has concocted.

I am not saying that any psychics do this deliberately - that they are somehow conning people. I actually think these processes happen very quickly, so quickly that neither the reader nor the read are aware of them happening.

Marian Perera
06-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Make a list of generic questions straight from one of your MC's profiles and take that with you instead of the poker face and see what happens! =)

Well, I did bring along a few questions, but never got a chance to use them. She just told me to lay out 10 or 15 cards in rows of five each. I still remember the spread :

Row 1 : Judgment, The King of Swords, the Seven of Swords, the Eight of Swords, the Three of Cups.

Row 2 : The Two of Cups, the Ace of Cups, the Four of Cups, the Six of Pentacles, the Ten of Cups.

After that she said what the different cards meant, but in a way that covered as many bases as possible. "The Seven of Swords indicates that someone may be trying to take something that's yours - not necessarily something material, but it could be an idea or credit for an action. Or it could mean that you might be doing that to someone else."

I didn't volunteer any information, so maybe that cramped her style, although she didn't ask me anything about myself other than my date of birth. I did ask a question at the end, whether there was any significance to the lack of Wands in the spread, given that they're associated with work, projects, accomplishment, etc. and those are very important to me.

"What do you think that signifies?" she replied. Well, I'm not the psychic. You tell me.

So all in all, it wasn't the most enlightening or insightful reading. Though I did like seeing all the swords at the start, and the cups later on. If I were a believer in the cards, the happy ending would probably have justified the cost of the reading.

DeleyanLee
06-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Did she get the job?

Esmeralda
06-12-2011, 05:54 PM
One of my characters reads the tarot. I had to learn from scratch.
Good thing I used to live in New Orleans. I have friends who do it for a living. Good teachers.

Do I believe in it? Maybe. Ask me tomorrow.

Marian Perera
06-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Did she get the job?

Good question. My employer asked me later on what I thought of the session, so I said that while the psychic came across as a nice and friendly person, I didn't find the reading very specific (or, for that matter, meaningful).

There were too many generics - "You need to proceed cautiously in some areas of your life, because you're likely to have different options to consider, but it looks like things could work out very well for you eventually." Well, whose life does that not represent?

She may or may not have got the job, because what's vague to me might be very specific to the psychic, who knows. But if I don't see her around the shop in the future, I guess I'll know.