Amazon Kindle: Updating/revising/modifying the content of an existing book

Todsplace

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Does anyone know if revising or modifying the content of an ebook on Kindle DTP--actually replacing the uploaded file--causes the title to go out of sale?

Or does it just keep selling the old version until the new one is approved to overwrite it?

Any help would be great :)! I've heard conflicting things, so I thought I would check..

Todsplace

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
Once you finish the revision and click the Save, the old version goes off sale until the new one is approved.

Todsplace

Registered
Reaction score
Bummer. So there's a day or two when its completely un-buyable?

I thought it would make more sense to keep selling the old copy and then replace it seamlessly so that no one can even tell it was taken off.

Todsplace

Registered
Reaction score
I trust that books that go completely offline when people simply change things like categories and product notes?

Carradee

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mistiwolanski.com
Once you finish the revision and click the Save, the old version goes off sale until the new one is approved.

…What are you talking about?

When I update my file, the old version's still on sale until the new one goes live. It only goes off-sale then takes a few days to go back on sale if I "Unpublish" it.

I even checked with some folks over on KindleBoards to make sure it wasn't my imagination.

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
Well then, I guess I'm wrong!
Seems that when I did a revision, it got pulled until the staff okayed it.
Sorry 'bout that.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
OK, this might offend some self published writers, and this is not my intent. Please read carefully...

I have a big problem with writers putting up books and then revise time and time again because they did not get it right the first time. I feel like the buyers for the first version were lab rats and that does not make me feel good as one of the lab rats.

I mean, why even put something up if its not a finished product? It feels like a cheat...

Todsplace

Registered
Reaction score
OK, this might offend some self published writers, and this is not my intent. Please read carefully...

I have a big problem with writers putting up books and then revise time and time again because they did not get it right the first time. I feel like the buyers for the first version were lab rats and that does not make me feel good as one of the lab rats.

I mean, why even put something up if its not a finished product? It feels like a cheat...

I'm not offended :D

I'm not actually at that stage yet, but I was asking on behalf of a friend. And myself too--in the sense that when I'm ready to publish I'd like to know what happens when I need to add an extra section that is too small to warrant a "new edition."

I love posting on this forum because there's an answer to all my questions. And I feel better prepared for when it comes time for me to publish.

For the record, I too would hate it if people used this feature to make editorial changes (i.e. actually uploading an entirely new edit over a budget edit).

Carradee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mistiwolanski.com

Um, off the top of my head, I can think of several reasons to upload a new version that don't involve revision:

• fix the formatting your vendor screwed up
  • update reference links and mentions author's other titles
  • change the excerpt(s) listed in back
  • add new cover to the inside of the file
  • repair the handful of typos that a reader pointed out

Now, if a writer posts a brand-new revision, I agree that can be annoying, but just because there's a new upload doesn't mean that the story's changed at all, or that there was some major story error that got fixed.

Kensington

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I like the Kindle system myself. You're not locked in to someone else's time schedule. And the ability to revise or unpublish at anytime is invaluable. As for the revisions after publication. You have to see the book live on Amazon to know if changes are needed. Sometimes the blurb just doesn't seem adequate, or you'd like something different on the cover, etc. Kindle is a great way to get published with only a 24 -48 hour delay! :) Sounds unbelievable, doesn't it? ?And what's not to like about it? Especially for poor beleaguered writers who have been jerked around by publishers and made to wait for months or even years before their book is released. I intend to upload all my novels to Kindle, as soon as they're out of contract. It's super to be in control again.

Last edited:

brainstorm77

Registered
Reaction score

Yup. Greek Seaman...

Kensington

Absolute Blight
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Another great bonus about the Kindle, is that it can be used by the chemically sensitive. No odour. Whereas print books often present a problem.