Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Playing with FeedBlitz, which automatically emails out updates. Same basic idea as RSS but without using RSS. Seems a bit glitchy at the moment though, so I've taken it down temporarily.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You mean a notification of a change to the site such as a new blog post, that sort of thing?

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
That's the idea. There's already RSS, but most people don't know how to use that yet. Tried a couple of addresses and it really didn't seem stable, so it's down at the moment. I may take another look later on.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just set up the RSS feed with Thunderbird and it seems fine. I should have the blog entries downloaded? Is there anything else to look for?

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
The RSS runs fine. Hit the URL and you can one-click include it into just about evey major web RSS reader, as well as importing it into desktop clients. It's FeedBlitz, which should take copies of the feed and mail them out, which was causing problems - things like saying that email addresses were too long/invalid, or passwords not working. Never mind.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
K. Anyone using Thunderbird for email who wants to know how to set it up to receive the RSS feed of the blog entries, let me know. G'night, all.

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Richard, I just posted a comment and it didn't go through. I like the way you've fixed up the place there though. Anyway, just thought you should know. I know you're in testing mode.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
Did it give you an error message? Neither of the spam filters is claiming credit for eating it.

Anyhow, off to bed now. If anyone has any problems posting comments, make a note of exacly what happens and post in this thread.

Last edited:

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't get an error message, but my second post went through fine. :)
Great job once again for everything you've done over there.

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
I can't get the SOS banner on my site. I use this yucky website software from my hosting company. Should I download an image from somewhere and put a link next to it?

And while we are on the subject, I am reasonably happy with the content of my website, but the design is so blech. It's template driven, and the templates are pretty bland. I took an html class eons ago, and don't have time to become an expert, but I need something that's a little more flexible and interesting. Any suggestions?

Lisa

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
The banner:

You can download the file itself here - http://www.jennaglatzer.com/sos/sos-banner.gif - and just link it to http://www.storiesofstrength.com in your editor, no problem. The code's just there on the site to make it easier.

Sites in general:

These days, it's often best to start with a blog tool (even if you don't use it as a blog) and customise the theme around it. I'd recommend WordPress for small sites. In addition to all the blogging stuff, it has full support for individual pages on your site, with a nice interface for adding new content rather than having to actually open up templates and manually push words into them.

As for design, the single best thing you can do is learn to design with CSS. It's got some...uh....interesting quirks, but it's mostly logical and the premise is pretty easy - cut up your page into its individual segments and components and tell the computer what they're all going to look like. If you look here - http://www.w3schools.com/css/default.asp - you'll get a good primer.

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
Me again. I have tried several times to download this file and add it to my website, but all I get is the flower and the white space with no blinking Stories of Strength.

What am I doing wrong?

Any suggestions?

I'll get in touch with the hosting company that provides the software and ask them next week if I can't figure it out this weekend. It's driving me nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.